Why become a member? ×

P-bass convert.

lee4

After years of avoiding all things Precision and Jazz related I have had a conversion.Now I know what all the fuss is about.Let me explain;my guitar playing pal,despairing of me wanting to sell my $$ and get another as yet unspecified bass,lent me his old no-name p-bass copy.It's had a(bad)refinish in blue and has an EMG pup in it,and lives in his studio.
I plugged it in to my Trace head,fired up the 4x10,and even with old strings it cut through 2 vocals,2 guitars,drums and sax at rehearsals.My Status Groove felt and sounded,well,
less of a bass in comparison.So now I just need to sell the Warwick and then I'm going to get a P style bass of my own.SX,Squire or similar.
I love the simplicity of 1 pup,20 frets and passive wiring. :)

[quote name='lee4' post='156995' date='Mar 13 2008, 08:43 PM']I love the simplicity of 1 pup,20 frets and passive wiring. :huh:[/quote]

+1

Same things happened to me. Picked up a Precision one day and thought "why did I ever need more than this"
Now I've got 5. Make of that what you will... :)
Chris

For ages I never thought much of Precisions, probably due to my only experience of them being horrible cheapo copies in school. When I bought my Jazz it was a choice between that and a black Precision, but the only reason I got the Jazz was because I was horrendously hungover and was struggling with the weight of the P. My whole perception of them changed though when I saw Brand New about a year ago and Garret Tierney was using a Precision straight into an Ampeg and it sounded a million times better than anything I'd heard before. I got my P last October and it's my main bass now, it's brilliant in its simplicity.

I've had a recent experience myself recently. I was taking the precision to rehearsals and all was going fine, but then the other day I had a sort of revelation with my old stingray and decided to take it to rehearal instead. There were all sorts of subtleties about it that I was excited about...

Needless to say at full volume against a drummer they all dissapeared and I really missed that thumping sound.

Back to the P :)

well not exactly a p-bass but i am enjoying my new warwick fortress P/J i was it on the p pickup with just a little of the jazz pu for a bit of bite, strung with EB flats in .50-.105 it has a great p-bass thump especially with a hunk of foam under the bridge. It's strange solo it's but when you play it in context it sounds fantastic, i am planning a set of wizards for it :huh: I will crack 'for once in my life' got it down but need to work on the phrasing in the faster sections :)

ive never really liked Precisions as my only real experiences with them are: a dodgy encore at school, and a mexican standard in PMT before i bought my jazz and it sounded and played horrible.

However im slowly getting into them after listening to the wombats - moving to new york, his P sounds awsome with a pick!

[quote name='bassboy115' post='157203' date='Mar 14 2008, 09:05 AM']ive never really liked Precisions as my only real experiences with them are: a dodgy encore at school, and a mexican standard in PMT before i bought my jazz and it sounded and played horrible.

However im slowly getting into them after listening to the wombats - moving to new york, his P sounds awsome with a pick![/quote]

Yeah, that's a great sound isn't it!

The P bass sound really does come into its own live. I've played basses which cound great played solo, or in low volume rehearsals, but which get lost in a live mix at a gig. But a good Precision just seems to sit well in any mix.

Edited by simon1964

I've done a couple of recent setups on Mexican Precisions & have really liked both of them. I ended up playing the one I did last week live at a gig & it was a great bass to play... If I hadn't already donated all my funds to the Status-Graphite homeless bass charity last week, I'd go out and get even a Mex Precision. Great basses.

The reason I'm playing the bass is that I saw John Deacon playing a p bass about 8 years ago before I even knew what a bass guitar was.

And yet I've never owned a p-bass! I think I should get one. Soon.

Edited by Frusty