Why become a member? ×

Hiwatt Bass 200

Finbar

Really had horrendous GAS for one of the Hiwatt Bass 200 amps to replace my marshall VBA400 recently. The VBA is brutal, but I think the wattage is just too much for me.

What are peoples' opinions on them? And how much do these go for second hand? They seem to be about £1500 new, but I'd have to sell my VBA400 and my Conklin 7 string to afford it, and I reckon they wouldn't add up to £1500.

IMO, Hiwatt are the be-all-and-end-all of valve bass amps! I'd love to own one, but as you say, they're incredibly expensive. Have you considered going for one of the 1970's DR series amps? Lots of bassists (as well as guitarists) have used these to great effect, and even at today's prices you can get a vintage one in good condition for a lot less than a used Bass 200.

Just heard back from the guy whow as selling one - he couldn't shift it here or eBay, so he's taken it to America with him by the sounds of it. So the search continues.

If you could point me to a DR series one, I'd be happy to have a look :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='157391' date='Mar 14 2008, 01:37 PM']Just heard back from the guy whow as selling one - he couldn't shift it here or eBay, so he's taken it to America with him by the sounds of it. So the search continues.

If you could point me to a DR series one, I'd be happy to have a look :)[/quote]

I've never used a real Hiwatt, but the emulation of the Hiwatt 100 on the Bass Pod Pro is juicy, and the one I use all the time (with a virtual Ampeg 8x10).

Had you thought of using a Pod and a ss poweramp? maybe not the real thing but a lot cheaper and lighter.

as my good friend Nash said i've got that's near enough new and was just serviced last week as i'm looking to get rid of as i'm after a Sunn 300T or the Fender Bassman equivelant,it's in cracking condition and has never been gigged..i'm looking for £1,100 if your interested.you'll be lucky to pick one up close to £1,700 with shipping new

£1499 from an eBay shop, and I'm next to Doncaster, so I can go and pick it up basically. Not quite £1700 :/

I've already had a phase of using a multi FX as my amp simulator etc, and it just doesn't compare with a few hundred watts of valve power behind you. Shame, as it would be a lot better on my back/wallet! Doesn't look the part, either :)

there were two versions of the "originals", one with 4x88 and a 6x34 version. owners of the "real" hiwatts consider either of those preferable to the new ones due to the quality of components (partridge transformers) and build quality (military spec). it seems an oldie is more reliable than a new one.
hiwatt guys figure there is nothing better - which justifies the prices they happily pay.

[quote name='Finbar' post='157435' date='Mar 14 2008, 02:27 PM']£1499 from an eBay shop, and I'm next to Doncaster, so I can go and pick it up basically. Not quite £1700 :/

I've already had a phase of using a multi FX as my amp simulator etc, and it just doesn't compare with a few hundred watts of valve power behind you. Shame, as it would be a lot better on my back/wallet! Doesn't look the part, either :)[/quote]

If your in aband and you gig around a bit it would do you no harm to email Hi Watt and see if you can get an endorsement from them,their price for a new DR201 direct from them is just under a grand...worth a poke like.

[quote name='ratpatrol' post='157512' date='Mar 14 2008, 03:50 PM']If your in aband and you gig around a bit it would do you no harm to email Hi Watt and see if you can get an endorsement from them,their price for a new DR201 direct from them is just under a grand...worth a poke like.[/quote]
They wouldn't give one to The Killers - thats why they taped over the name badges.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='157581' date='Mar 14 2008, 04:55 PM']They wouldn't give one to The Killers - thats why they taped over the name badges.[/quote]

Yeah, I heard about that. Isn't that a bit childish? Shame... I like them. Their bassist has some pretty cool lines.

[quote name='Finbar' post='157643' date='Mar 14 2008, 06:42 PM']But if you look on their site, there are tons of endorsees who are absolute nobodies. Would an endorsement also mean using their cabs? I wouldn't want that! :) I'll look into it though.[/quote]

yeah they'll send you a full list of products with endorsement price's,my band got endorsed tho' it did help that we had a record deal even tho' it's on not a major,we're on an indie label from holland called Reflections but they have a ggod name for themselves so i sent them a few link to prove that we were on there and whatnot and hey presto!

you can check my band at www.myspace.com/wraiththebanduk