Why become a member? ×

Leland Sklar

Badass

If i wanted to hear this guy, Leland Skylar, at his best what you recommend?

I am interested in his sound over the years, and his best grooves. So what would you advise I listen to from his massive catalogue to hear him at his best?

[quote name='ezbass' post='1354585' date='Aug 28 2011, 05:59 PM']The list is HUGE but for some of his recent work I like this video check it from about 4 mins onwards for just bass and drums really featured
[/quote]

Abe Laboriel Jr does it for me every time in this video. He must be such a great drummer to work with- he's just THERE. Small-ish kit, no mega-tricks, just taste and conviction oozing from every pore.

[quote name='Badass' post='1355123' date='Aug 29 2011, 11:58 AM']Thanks for the heads up. Some nice stuff for me to take a listen to...That video shows a real tight rhythm section.

Abe Laboriel Jr, he related to the great bassist Abe Laboriel?[/quote]

yeah its his son if I remember rightly

[quote name='Rumble' post='1355554' date='Aug 29 2011, 07:08 PM']Abe Laboriel Jnr is one of those drummers that you just wish live in your town. He's as good to watch as he is to listen to.[/quote]
+ infinity. I love the way he just lays into that kit and then there's Lee locking in and peppering it with bass goodness. The guitar work isn't bad either.

[quote name='Badass' post='1356375' date='Aug 30 2011, 03:06 PM']Anyone know of any DVD / Video I can buy that has Leland Sklar on bass duties. He is one hard dude to track down for such a great talent.[/quote]

Falling in Between Live - TOTO

He's got some good coverage on that.... if you can put up with Bobby Kimball's Tash!

[b]crez5150[/b] thanks for that. I see they have the DVD for £8 on [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Falling-Between-Live-Toto/dp/B000RLCSH0"]AMAZON.[/url] Think I'll take a punt on this one. Oh and there's nothing wrong with a bit of facial hair, ask Lee :)

[b]Crazykiwi[/b] 1 week? Now that takes so doing.

Edited by Badass

[quote name='chris_b' post='1359412' date='Sep 2 2011, 12:52 AM']Sklar was also the bass player on Billy Cobham's Stratus:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmX0Qc_hfrw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmX0Qc_hfrw[/url][/quote]

That's always the tune I think of in relation to Sklar! That said, I have Cobham's 'Mississippi Knights' record with Kai Eckhardt playing the bass on it and he certainly does a better job on Stratus than Sklar did.

[quote name='crez5150' post='1356391' date='Aug 30 2011, 03:17 PM']Falling in Between Live - TOTO

He's got some good coverage on that.... if you can put up with Bobby Kimball's Tash!

[/quote]
I think you might have just got me into TOTO mate! I've ignored them for centuries :)

[quote name='Badass' post='1356375' date='Aug 30 2011, 03:06 PM']Anyone know of any DVD / Video I can buy that has Leland Sklar on bass duties. He is one hard dude to track down for such a great talent.[/quote]

James Taylor and Carole King's Troubadour reunion DVD is great - pretty sure it's been shown on BBC4 a couple of times too.