Why become a member? ×

Luminlay Fret Markers

BassBunny

I have Luminlay Fret Markers in both my ACG's and thought a review may be useful for anyone considering trying them. Alan is offering them as an option on his builds so if you are considering them, here goes.
All the information about them is here:
[url="http://www.luminlay.com/indexen.html"]Luminlay Website[/url]

They work on a similar principle to the luminous markers on watches. I have the 3
mm Green ones in both my ACG's. They are energised using a small LED torch, (provided or purchase from Luminlay), whch shines blue light on the markers. According to Luminlay, Blue is the best colour to charge them up. It is the quality of the light rather than intensity or duration that has the optimum effect. After a 5sec charge they are initially quite bright and then fade very slightly keeping a constant glow. As all the bands I play in use LED srage lights, these will have an effect on the duration the dots glow for. They easily lasted a 1hr set and even after a 15-20 min break they were still glowing prior to a re-charge for Set 2.
One band I play in is a Blues Brothers Tribute and even wearing the required Ray-Bans, the dots were clearly visible. Even when they have lost their charge the dots do seem easier to see than conventional Aluminium or Plastic ones. They are a little larger, (which helps), and the nature of the material seems to help as well.
Are they an alternative to LED's? I would say yes. They are much cheaper for starters, particularly when specced at the start of the build as they are just fitted in place of normal dots. They do seem to get you through a typical set without "dying", although stage lights will help. Even a quick re-charge mid-set is no real hardship. Just do it whilst your singer is waffling or guitarist tuning up, (again).

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1357154' date='Aug 31 2011, 08:31 AM']I've specced the blue ones for the Marseer 5 that Robbie at RIM is building. Looks like the band will have to get used to playing in the dark then. :)[/quote]

Yep you need to get your money's worth. Stop eating carrots as well. :)