Why become a member? ×

I hate Trace Elliot gear

gjones

I have resently got back into old trace gear and find the Series 6 Ah200 with two 15" cabs really suits my basses and playing style. Funny thing it look a few years of fiddling with new " light weight " gear and some very heavy valve amps to come full circle and buy the gear I used to use. Funny old world.

I recently did an A/B test of my Mark V Trace AH250 versus my Mark Bass SA450. The main difference (all set flat) was in the lower mids, where the Trace had a right old hump. Some modest tweakage of the graphic got them sounding within the same ballpark.
I'd happily gig either. The MB wins on weight, the Trace wins on spangly UV light.

• 3 months later...

I heard a player using a Trace rig (amp and 410) and he sounded great.

I had the chance to borrow the rig a couple of months later and I couldn't get it to sound anything like he did.

Over the years too many people have raved about Trace so I know it's just me!

Two minds on seeing one at a gig more than few years back.. For me I knew it wasn't the worst thing they could give me...but then I never really liked them sound-wise...but at least you knew you'd be able to hear.
They made their mark and even raise the bar in terms of what was out there, but thank god for SWR and they raised the bar even further, IMO.

This was the start of decent dedicated bass monitoring as far as I was concerned...as before that it was Ampeg, a few valve jobs or not much at all.
It is funny how valves are revered now when you couldn't wait for the TE and SWR's to come along.

The only TE amp I liked was indeed an all valve Twin combo which even the grainey graphic that TE had always used, couldn't quite ruin.

i still have my old ah300smx i couldnt get rid of it now i have had it since new and gigged with it many a time,i like the sound and funnily enough used it with an ampeg 1510 cab and it had a sound that was all i could ask for,i remember though going into a studio and they had a ampeg svt with 8x10 cab and said i could use it!i was so excited but i have to say i didnt like it i just couldnt get the sound i wanted

My first bass amp was a crap TORQUE 100W. My second bass amp was a TE QUATRA VALVE... 200W of pure valve beauty... Jumping from the TORQUE to the TE was absolutely amazing, a bit like discovering good sex with a really hot woman. So, I still have a crush with TE from those days.

Edited by BassPimp66

Isn't Trace Elliott just a fancy term for muddy plonk? At least that's all I ever managed to get out of them. But then again, they were the amps in the college rehearsal rooms, which are a bit of an amp graveyard.

Wouldn't mind trying a Trace properly to get a proper opinion, but I wouldn't hurry out to buy one (even if I had the cash!)

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1335307617' post='1629222']
Isn't Trace Elliott just a fancy term for muddy plonk? At least that's all I ever managed to get out of them. But then again, they were the amps in the college rehearsal rooms, which are a bit of an amp graveyard.
[/quote]

My experiences precisely!

Then again I tried some fancy 8x10 stacky thing in PMT once and it was exactly the same, just louder!

had a TE 4x10 combo back in the 90s which i was happy with the sound with the trb and status through it - only complaint about it really would be that they are ball breakingly heavy

the only reason i didnt go for TE last year when i bought my latest rig was cost considerations - actually glad i went for hartke as they are IMO equal if not better than TE and definitely much more bang for your buck :D

I use an old AH300SMC with one of the newer 1048 cabs. Love the sound of the rig with no EQ and a little compression, so much warmth and projection there, specially with my warwick 6. Ive used the same rig for nearly 5 years and havnt tried anything thats convinced me to change it yet. Horses for courses though :)

OK, as explained above I have a bit of a TE fetish from prior ownership of a Quatra Valve.
But, I went to a rehearsal studio yesterday and the only backline was a 200W GP7 TE combo.
I totally hated the sound. Tons of ugly mids and the bass sounded like fart..... yuk !!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:
I was auditioning for a band I really like. So, pretty upset about the let-down and tempted to become a "hater".

But the thing is that TE in rehearsal and Ampeg as provided backline on a stage are generally considered known and useable by most.
what you mostly end up with..IME..is a tired old box that has seen waaaay better days so if that is your only experience of it then
those are your conclusions.

FWIW, my opinions of those boxes are that they are pretty much one trick ponies...which isn't the worst.. but if you can't get your bass to work
with them you are stuffed. You might also have that problem with other stuff but see it provided less, so less exposure...... bla bla

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1335696960' post='1634626']
FWIW, my opinions of those boxes are that they are pretty much one trick ponies...which isn't the worst.. but if you can't get your bass to work
with them you are stuffed.
[/quote]

I find that with all the EQ options and the compression they're one of the most versatile solid state amps tone-wise. Often too many switching options actually, can be hard to tell what's switched in and out! First thing I do is find the pre-shape and get rid of it since that just seems to override everything else. After that, play with the graphic to suit whatever bass I'm using.
Their speakers can sound a bit tired compared to modern kit though.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1335705362' post='1634747']
I find that with all the EQ options and the compression they're one of the most versatile solid state amps tone-wise. Often too many switching options actually, can be hard to tell what's switched in and out! First thing I do is find the pre-shape and get rid of it since that just seems to override everything else. After that, play with the graphic to suit whatever bass I'm using.
Their speakers can sound a bit tired compared to modern kit though.
[/quote]

I just really really hated that pre amp... either the 7 or the 12 and the sound was so weedy.
As a alternative to what ever else was around it was good for the time.. but was soon overtaken and outclassed by the early 90's.. thankfully, IMV.

I'll add my voice to the choir of Trace-bashing. I cannot speak for their all-valve models, but I've never liked any of the solid state TE's i've played. I find they somehow manage to simultaneously sound 'dead' or sterile, and indistinct. The EQ seems to be entirely un-useful, it's like you can hear it changing your tone but it's never in a way that you like. You try to bring in some more top-end "air" and it just sounds ganky and vulgar - and not in a cool rock'n'roll way. Venues and rehearsal rooms love them because they're sturdy but that's all they are in my experience.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335705823' post='1634754'] I only ever played through TE gear a few times but didn't particularly like it. Besides which I always felt it looked slightly radioactive. [/quote]

Agreed on this. Whoever came up with the aesthetics of the Trace stuff needs a good talking to from the guys at Aguilar.