Why become a member? ×

Technofret AdvancedFretLevelling tool

bremen

[quote name='Namisuke' timestamp='1321571656' post='1440923']
Bremen, do you know this? [url="http://rectifymaster.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=29"]http://rectifymaster...&id=7&Itemid=29[/url]

It was the absolutely first to be launched on the market and it is patent pending...
[/quote]
Stay away. The inventor knows bugger all about fret dressing.

Getting the neck straight, dressing fingerboard/frets flat and reintroducing relief to taste will still get better results than filing bow into a warped neck.

A straight edge is all that's needed. I don't see the point of dialing bow into the dressing edge when that can be done with the truss rod after a decent fingerboard dressing.

I don't believe the premise on which you make the claim on so many levels.

[i]It is bowing, not bowed and it is used by some of the most famous luthiers of the world. You haven't tried that yet, you may not exactly know what it can do. Many truss rods don't work correctly. The bowing feature is essential in that case and for instruments that don't have truss rod or for necks still back bowing under string tension and loosen truss rod.[/i]
The truss rods don't curve evenly...I'm not clear on what you mean by working properly..but they curve well enough to accommodate the additional width in the arc of the string around the 12th fret. For warped necks, any decent luthier will ensure either that the wood is seasoned and dried properly, and/or the fingerboard is dressed properly before installing frets. Dressing frets with a straight edge while the neck is under string tension is the easiest and most time efficient way of ensuring a playable neck for players who like low action.

For settling necks, there's no benefit in reducing the amount of work that the truss rod does unless the neck is so badly bowed that the truss rod is maxed out.
[i]After fret level with the correct relief, you can still adjust the neck with the truss rod but you'll adjust it only a little bit resulting in minimal changes of relief linearity. And what about that when you adjust the neck from bowed to straight for fret leveling with a straight beam? [/i]
Dress the frets while the neck is under string tension. Add relief to taste using the truss rod. It works really well.

[i]The wood of the neck doesn't settle so quickly after that deformation. You will be working on a settling neck. With the bowing tool you avoid this problem and save lot of time as well. It allows you to fret level instantly and naturally. [/i]
It doesn't need to settle if you dress with the strings on. Besides, from what I can make out, the tool only replicates the effect of a truss rod, not the effect of neck relief. The different densities and thicknesses of the neck and the tool will mean marginally different curve characteristics. I think the tool could end up creating more problems than it solves for players who like low action.

Even assuming that the neck and tool were capable of bowing in the same way, the luthier would have to find some way of measuring the amount of bow in order to use the tool properly to a ridiculously accurate degree in order to ensure the tool actually had any benefit. How would they do that? Using a micrometer to take a set of measurements off a settled neck?

Lets also consider how the tool would be used. Dressing occurs in movements running parallel to the long axis of the neck and 90 degrees to the frets. If a tool is used that is already bent to match the relief in the neck, a much larger low area will be worn into the frets than is present in the neck as the low point of the tool is moved across the frets unless the tool is moved less than the distance of one fret at the lowest point in either direction. The only way to get a faithful matching curve would be to move the tool parallel to the frets. The luthier would then need to apply consistent pressure on the frets as the tool moved around the fingerboard radius. Both methods create more hassle, not reduce it. I'm not convinced the tool would deliver in the manner claimed.

BTW, the claims in the link posted illustrate a warped neck, not a settling neck. I think this tool wouldn't be helpful for a warped neck as each neck will warp differently. I just don't believe this tool will be effective on a warped neck at all - which was the original premise behind my comments.

[i]By the way, it was on sale long time before than the other one mentioned in the blog and it is patent pending.[/i]
Anyone can submit a patent for anything. I don't understand what the value of citing "patent pending" is, apart from showing someone has submitted a patent. It doesn't mean the concept is credible.

I just believe the marketing is deceptive and the claims don't hold water. Even if the claims did hold water, there are more effective ways of dealing with the problems described.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1321593656' post='1441000'] Stay away. The inventor knows bugger all about fret dressing. Getting the neck straight, dressing fingerboard/frets flat and reintroducing relief to taste will still get better results than filing bow into a warped neck. [/quote]That sounds reasonable to me :)

EDIT: But after reading your following posts I don't think you mean what I read :)

Edited by Vibrating G String

Well, well, well, I thought this thread was dead and gone, but I am delighted to see that Vibrating G string is still alive and kicking, and still posting in his inimitable style.

Interesting as well to see the advent of Namisuke, who sent me a mysterious Ebay message some days ago asking if I was aware of Rectify Master, which of course I was. I do hope that Namisuke is not contemplating taking me to court for infringement of his patent, assuming it is ever granted, ( which it might well be, the US patent office would grant you a patent for inventing the shoelace, as long as you paid the fee.)

Enforcing it is a different ballgame, however, and in this case, as long as Namisuke is seeking patent protection for the adjustable bow, then he is very welcome. But if he is seeking patent protection for the concept of leveling under string tension, then think again, dude. Google "prior art" in reference to patent application. In this particular instance, the prior art dates back at least twenty years.

That said, I wish Namisuke all the very best with his invention, as far as I can see it is a well made artefact, and if he can persuade people to buy it, well, that's what the free market is all about.

[quote name='murrmac123' timestamp='1321638788' post='1441580']
Well, well, well, I thought this thread was dead and gone, but I am delighted to see that Vibrating G string is still alive and kicking, and still posting in his inimitable style.
[/quote]Do you really think all this name calling will help sell your stick? It's supposed to be against forum policy and it makes you look desperate.

I've also noticed how you belittle other products, wouldn't it be more of a grown up thing to not cry when others do the same thing you do?

[quote name='Vibrating G String' timestamp='1321655047' post='1441802']
Do you really think all this name calling will help sell your stick? It's supposed to be against forum policy and it makes you look desperate.

[/quote]

The only desperation I am experiencing is that I am desperately trying to figure out how expressing delight that somebody is still alive and kicking and complimenting them on their inimitable style, could be construed as "name-calling" ...

It would be delight if you weren't simply lying :) Maybe read the rest of your post where you go on with many other personal insults. Fortunately you have a mod on your side and a ban proving your truth should be along shortly as he's already dropping hints in other threads about his displeasure with my differing opinion. You don't have to be right to win :)

• 7 months later...