Why become a member? ×

Info on Washburn MB8 help please!

JJ Bass

[quote name='dave.c' post='1348855' date='Aug 23 2011, 11:48 AM']Is this the one?

[attachment=87662:Washburn_MB_8.jpg]
Washburn Mercury MB-8. 4 String Bass

Mine was manufactured in 1994 and was my main bass for about a year. Alder body with a flamed maple top finished in see through black. 24 fret maple neck with a maple fingerboard and really (really!) great access to the top frets, Status pickups and 18 volt active electronics, Pickup blend, volume, bass cut/boost, treble cut/boost controls.
Nice clear tones but not as rich as a Status IMHO but a very nice sounding and playing bass, especially for the money they can be had for now! I gave mine to my nephew, who still has it, it was too good to let go for the price.[/quote]

Hi Dave and thanks for the reply!

It looks the same one, just its in the cherry wine colour - re the 18v batteries, did it have a block thats 2 wide for batteries or one wide? Hope that makes sence, it looks the same size as a normal 1 x 9v size.. I've only seen pics of the back of a Kingbass which has the 2x9v supply which is wide rather than depth!!!

Is it a good slapper?

Cheers

J

I had one with a maple neck between 1994 and 1998; it was my first 'better than budget' bass and as close as I was ever going to get to something like a status...
I loved it - just told a student to look out for one. Good slim smooth neck, good balance, light and the sound was as expected, pretty flexible. A bit 'hissy' on the highs of the active but otherwise, this and a little trace 15 combo were my friends until ventured into other waters.

Snap one up, I say.:)

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1349322' date='Aug 23 2011, 07:13 PM']I had one with a maple neck between 1994 and 1998; it was my first 'better than budget' bass and as close as I was ever going to get to something like a status...
I loved it - just told a student to look out for one. Good slim smooth neck, good balance, light and the sound was as expected, pretty flexible. A bit 'hissy' on the highs of the active but otherwise, this and a little trace 15 combo were my friends until ventured into other waters.

Snap one up, I say.:)[/quote]

Thanks for that, roughly what do you think they are worth these days? Hope to try and pick one up asap....

[quote name='jonannlou' post='1349421' date='Aug 23 2011, 08:34 PM']Thanks for that, roughly what do you think they are worth these days? Hope to try and pick one up asap....[/quote]

You know I can't remember what I paid, prob 300ish, but now I'm not sure. I think theres one on ebay at mo

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washburn-MB-8-Active-Bass-Guitar-Status-Pickups-/110733307796?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19c8382f94"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washburn-MB-8-Ac...=item19c8382f94[/url]

if its still there?

Good luck with the hunt!

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1349426' date='Aug 23 2011, 08:39 PM']You know I can't remember what I paid, prob 300ish, but now I'm not sure. I think theres one on ebay at mo

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washburn-MB-8-Active-Bass-Guitar-Status-Pickups-/110733307796?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19c8382f94"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Washburn-MB-8-Ac...=item19c8382f94[/url]

if its still there?

Good luck with the hunt![/quote]

Hi, I'm going to try and bargain that one down if it doesn't sell, but theres also a fella on here with one, so fingers crossed. The MB4 with the jazz status pick ups usually goes for around £75-£120 so really unsure of its price! My Status S1 only went for £500 so I really can't work out the prices of basses at the moment!!

[quote name='steverickwood' post='1350006' date='Aug 24 2011, 10:24 AM']yes - now is the time to haggle if people want to get rid. Looks like a nice one. Let me know how you get on![/quote]

Will do mate, I'm almost still reluctant to sell my Hohner B for it as it sounds damn good, but I do miss the status sound and if I can get close its a start! Theres also a Westone 3a on ebay, but thats definatley going to go out of my budget.... Also a Jaydee for £1.1k, time to rob a bank maybe? :)

I'll keep you informed, once purchased it'll soon be on youtube being slapped like hell!

Here's some pics of mine (which I was trying to sell a few months ago):
[attachment=87767:washburn_001.jpg] [attachment=87768:washburn_002.jpg][attachment=87769:washburn_004.jpg]

It has a rather large (about 1" long) chip to the paint work that I repaired a long time ago (with pva glue I think!):
[attachment=87770:washburn_003.jpg]

It has a couple of other small knocks but is otherwise in good condition. There's some fading to the gold plating but all the electrics still work and the bass sounds and plays really nicely. One of the original pots was broken at some point but I had it replaced and the cavity screened at the same time.

I bought it new, the summer I started University ('94), for £349 from Eddie Moors in Boscombe - still got the receipt! I've no idea how it compares to a Status but I was always very happy with it.

Cheers,
Doug

I'd almost forgotten about it but one of the earliest basses I ever owned was a white Washburn that was quite similar to the one in this thread, it also had status pickups. I think it was an XS-8 and I've never seen another one in the flesh since. Virtually gave it away in p-x for a cheapo electro-acoustic.