Why become a member? ×

Best Bass Players of the 70's

Born 2B Mild

[quote name='andy67' post='156117' date='Mar 12 2008, 04:01 PM']so close for me!

Andy Fraser
Neil Murray
Phil lynott
Dennis Dunaway
Cliff Williams/Ali McMordie - such a dilema[/quote]

Ooh, Ali McMordie - mainly cos he was a local lad for me.

Good to see someone else who noticed Neil Murray, I'm suprised he doesn't get namechecked more often.

I've done this based on some of my favourite records of the 1970's and Number 1 has to be, and I am gobsmacked no-one else has said it, James Jamerson on Whats Going On.

At Number 2 I give you John Entwistle for Who's Next or Quadrophenia - take your pick.

Coming third is Andy Fraser for Fire and Water and Free Live - both feature Mr Big and that bass solo.

Next is the guy that played the riff heard in every music shop on saturday afternoons before slap - Roger Waters for Dark Side and Wish You were here.

Not sure about the tail end charlie but Paul Simeonon gets the nod for both the playing and the picture.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='156256' date='Mar 12 2008, 06:46 PM']I've done this based on some of my favourite records of the 1970's and Number 1 has to be, and I am gobsmacked no-one else has said it, James Jamerson on Whats Going On.[/quote]
oops, considered it and then thought 60s, but of course you're right.... Ref can I amend my list?

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='156256' date='Mar 12 2008, 06:46 PM']I've done this based on some of my favourite records of the 1970's and Number 1 has to be, and I am gobsmacked no-one else has said it, James Jamerson on Whats Going On.

At Number 2 I give you John Entwistle for Who's Next or Quadrophenia - take your pick.

Coming third is Andy Fraser for Fire and Water and Free Live - both feature Mr Big and that bass solo.

Next is the guy that played the riff heard in every music shop on saturday afternoons before slap - Roger Waters for Dark Side and Wish You were here.

Not sure about the tail end charlie but Paul Simeonon gets the nod for both the playing and the picture.[/quote]
Pretty amazing list! How did we all miss 'What's Going On'?

John Gustafson - all of Roxy Music's best work had this guys playing on it
George Murray - Bowie's Low and Heroes "sound and vision" especially
Chris Cross - first 3 Ultravox albums before the Moog took over - Dangerous Rhythm has a peach of a bassline
Barry Adamson - Magazine albums Real life and Secondhand Daylight
Paul Gardiner - Tubeway Army,Replicas and The Pleasure principle albums. His playing was very effective

all the funk guys of the era were cool cats but these fellas could groove as well(though in a new wave stylee)

Edited by dub_junkie

[quote name='Musky' post='155781' date='Mar 12 2008, 09:43 AM']JJ Burnell
John Entwistle
Andy Fraser
Phil Lynot
Burke Shelley (Budgie)

It's not fair - I want to get Lemmy in there as well![/quote]

ha ha I'll tell Burke next time I see him. He'll be tickled I think :)

Well, what a decade! Often dissed and considered inferior to the 60's but look at that list ....
I agree with every name so far and to say who as better than whom is almost impossible.

So I'd just like add in Jim Lea from Slade. Great lines, especially Far Far Away, and fun to play.
and Roger Wetton for his stint with Family, especially the wonderful "Burlesque".

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='nick' post='156049' date='Mar 12 2008, 03:10 PM'][b]Les McQueen ; Crème Brulee[/b][i][/i][/quote]
I see your Les McQueen and raise you

[b]Marc Park - Park Avenue[/b]

I'm so sorry!! :) Must take this seriously

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' post='156396' date='Mar 12 2008, 11:12 PM']I see your Les McQueen and raise you

[b]Marc Park - Park Avenue[/b]

:)[/quote]
:huh:

Scary!!

Good shout from dub_junkie for these two chaps: [i]"John Gustafson - all of Roxy Music's best work had this guys playing on it"[/i].. And
[i]"George Murray - Bowie's Low and Heroes "sound and vision" especially"[/i]

It's going great, this thread ...fantastic players coming up so far. The evil bit was to keep it to only five heroes. With a decade that spans post-Woodstock, Prog, Soul, Disco, New Wave and classic rock etc., the choice is amazing.

Keep 'em coming!

Number one has to be Chris Squire without whom I'd probably still be playing the clarinet.
Second is Dennis Dunaway - superbly melodic player and it's good to see he's been mentioned on several earlier posts.
Number three - John Entwistle. i spent many lonely nights in my room learning his lines.
Four - Jaco - I was blown away by his playing, especially his fretless work - inspired me to build my first fretless.
Fifth is Stanley clark. i absolutely love his playing .

A very subjective list and I've had to leave out a great many of my favourite bassists - 5 is not enough. I mean, how can I leave out the likes of Percy Jones, John Giblin, John paul Jones, Phil lynott, Roger Glover, Tom Hamilton, kasim Sultan and even Micheal Anthony. Seems like all my favourite bands of the 70's had superb bass players, alot of them concentrating on holding down the bottom end but an equal number pushing the boundaries.

[quote name='TheRev' post='156194' date='Mar 12 2008, 04:59 PM']Ooh, Ali McMordie - mainly cos he was a local lad for me.

Good to see someone else who noticed Neil Murray, I'm suprised he doesn't get namechecked more often.[/quote]

a link to Mr Murray:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Murray_%28British_musician%29"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Murray_%...ish_musician%29[/url]

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='156381' date='Mar 12 2008, 10:48 PM']George Murray - Bowie's Low and Heroes "sound and vision" especially[/quote]

+ 1 , [i]criminally[/i] underrated.
Wonder what he's up to now?
Very little on the web about this guy. :)

1. Jim Lea Slade ( Someone mentioned him before, seriously under rated in his day)
2. Phil Lynott Thin Lizzy
3. Tom Scholz Boston (Tom played everything on the studio albums, check out some of the bass lines!)
4. John Paul Jones Zep.
5. John Deacon Queen

Honourable mentions to Roger Glover, Neil Murray, Norman Watt-Roy, Andy Fraser & loads of others I wnat to put in but haven't got time to type.

R.