Why become a member? ×

Laney RB410.. Fail?

Jamesrt2004

Ok, so at my rehearsal room's they have little Laney bass half stacks, while the guitarist get nice highend Marshall stacks.

Instead of using their amp due to me thinking it sounded horrible(quiet and muddy really) I wacked in my OTB... Everything got louder as I expected being the OTB seems super loud and all the mids and higher-end stuff came alive.

Only problem is there was SO much bass.. I literally dialed the bass off fully on my guitar(schecter) and on the amp now on my SWR at home this ends up turning into a Clangy mess like a fender strat :)... But to my surprise it made no difference what so ever with this cab!!!! (same with mids and treble but, they were fine)

Just wondering is that the difference between a decent cab and a lower end one? As it seems whatever eq I set I just got a big wall of bass.

Anyone else used one and found the same problem?

If it's me doing something wrong let me know!! My first amp cab has been the OTB and SWR Goliath so I don't have much experience outside that a markbass 15" cabs and an ashdown 8x10!!
Not to put Laney down but I was massively unimpressed with their cabs and going to go to a diff rehersal studio that has nice markbass cabs (:

Edited by Jamesrt2004

I really like the Laney RB series, i like the snappy ness and sort of hardness to the sound (to my ears anyway!) And i've never found them to have too MUCH bass, i've found them to have some but i find my self having to add some on the amp and on my bass to get a decent amount of rumble (and i don't play with much boost in the bass overall maybe set at 4 o'clock on the amp and a smidge on the EQ of the bass based on the room)

It might be the acoustics of the room? Or the Amp or the Cab, all things to take into account

(Though i'm not hugely knowledgeable about this stuff :) so unsure if room is a valid answer :) )

[quote name='Jamesrt2004' post='1344053' date='Aug 18 2011, 09:26 AM']Ok, so at my rehearsal room's they have little Laney bass half stacks, while the guitarist get nice highend Marshall stacks.

Instead of using their amp due to me thinking it sounded horrible(quiet and muddy really) I wacked in my OTB... Everything got louder as I expected being the OTB seems super loud and all the mids and higher-end stuff came alive.

Only problem is there was SO much bass.. I literally dialed the bass off fully on my guitar(schecter) and on the amp now on my SWR at home this ends up turning into a Clangy mess like a fender strat :)... But to my surprise it made no difference what so ever with this cab!!!! (same with mids and treble but, they were fine)

Just wondering is that the difference between a decent cab and a lower end one? As it seems whatever eq I set I just got a big wall of bass.

Anyone else used one and found the same problem?

If it's me doing something wrong let me know!! My first amp cab has been the OTB and SWR Goliath so I don't have much experience outside that a markbass 15" cabs and an ashdown 8x10!!
Not to put Laney down but I was massively unimpressed with their cabs and going to go to a diff rehersal studio that has nice markbass cabs (:[/quote]

I used to own an old Laney 4x10 cab, about 10 years ago. It was great, nice and punchy. Can't say i have tried there newer stuff.

my backup cab is a laney Richter combo - as above, cheap, bombproof, a bit heavy compared to my shuttle 6.0 & neo cab!

yeah sometimes i needed to wrangle the eq to get a decent sound, but got it there...

sounds like the head was the issue for you

Personally, the Orange Terror Bass has too much bass, even with the bass completely turned down as far as it would go.

My band headlined the Scottish Beatles weekend in Dundee last Sunday night and I was using one of those into an Eden Nemesis 4x10". Even with the bass completely turned down, the neck pickup of my Thunderbird completely off and playing right at the bridge where I normally do, there was far too much bass.

The RB cabs are cheap cabs but are still pretty decent for the money - how many cheap cabs have Celestion drivers?

At 31kg, its still lighter than the equivelant Ashdown 4x10"

Laney aren't trendy and I doubt they ever will be but you would have to offer me something pretty amazing to take my Nexus 15" cab from me

Hi all

1st post here and I have to come to Laney's defence I think, I've been playing my Eden 400 through an RB410 for about 2 years now, and quite often get compliments on my tight, but full and punchy tone., the cab is lighter than most of the potential replacements I have been looking at lately, Ashdown Eden, Aguilar, Ampeg, and is also smaller and easier to load out into the back seat of my car.

I keep telling myself I need a better cab, but have come to the conclusion its just GAS. Strangely enough, I logged in here to look for info re alternatives to my Laney! TB is great but very US based.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' post='1347962' date='Aug 22 2011, 01:12 PM']Hi all

1st post here and I have to come to Laney's defence I think, I've been playing my Eden 400 through an RB410 for about 2 years now, and quite often get compliments on my tight, but full and punchy tone., the cab is lighter than most of the potential replacements I have been looking at lately, Ashdown Eden, Aguilar, Ampeg, and is also smaller and easier to load out into the back seat of my car.

I keep telling myself I need a better cab, but have come to the conclusion its just GAS. Strangely enough, I logged in here to look for info re alternatives to my Laney! TB is great but very US based.[/quote]

US as in america? It's considered very british sounding i thought?

But minus the first 2 posters (including the OP) have all defended Laney!

I love my laney gear, and i'm saving for more of it!

OTB has a very, very thick low end, so it's the head IMO not the can IME!

And Welcome to the Forum :)

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' post='1348221' date='Aug 22 2011, 06:19 PM']Hi and tnx..yeah I meant TB..TalkBass forums.. been on there a few years, never even knew this existed til I caught a post on there cross linking to here.

A nexus NX410 is on my list of things to try, tempted to get a 4 ohm to open up the power of my amp a bit.[/quote]

Ah sorry! I though you meant Terror Bass, but yes thats why i left Talkbass too american and always about stuff you don't get round here :)

Same for me! I should be getting a NX115 soon thanks to Delberthot's review and big-ups of it :)