Why become a member? ×

Opinions on the Laney RB-7

sam_

Well i'm gonna be looking into a mid range amp for band practices / playing small venues soon and was wondering how the Laney RB-7 performs.

I have heard some bad things about Laney but I'm not sure about validity of them ha.

and i can't afford much else :) pooooooooooor student bum ya know :huh:

It'll be pretty solid being a Laney, but don't really have a fantastic reputation for bass amplification. The Laney head/cab I used to use at rehearsal wasn't too bad, but was a bit muddy.

What's your budget ? We may be able to throw a few options for you to consider.

£289 here: [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/rb-7/69001"]http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/rb-7/69001[/url]

For a little more than that you could also consider an Ashdown MAG210-300 (I bet you never thought i'd suggest that ?!)

[url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Mag-C210-T-300~ID~3071.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~A...300~ID~3071.asp[/url]

ohhh the ashdown does seem a lot more tempting, i do only have a £300ish budget, maybe can stretch to £400 if i work a lot more extra hours in the summer (first year of uni next year, hopefully XD) so i can't spend tooooo much on it.

Im a year older than you.

Thats not really relevant but the fact that I used to own the RB5 (older version of that amp) is. It was a cool amp, certainly sounded alrught but it severly lacked volume. It couldnt handle even the smallest of gigs by itself IME. Of course, if your bandmates play a harp and a flute you might be ok. A rock band? Forget it.

I upgraded from that to an Ashdown rig, a 410 combo with 115 cab. Beutiful amp, loved it. That too, is relevant as I sold the (mint cond.) 4x10 combo over a bass forum (not this one mind you) for exactly £300. Within your budget an would easily handle anything you could throw at it volume-wise.

Edit- where have you applied for uni?

Edited by Jack

[quote name='Jack' post='155529' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:23 PM']Im a year older than you.

Thats not really relevant but the fact that I used to own the RB5 (older version of that amp) is. It was a cool amp, certainly sounded alrught but it severly lacked volume. It couldnt handle even the smallest of gigs by itself IME. Of course, if your bandmates play a harp and a flute you might be ok. A rock band? Forget it.

I upgraded from that to an Ashdown rig, a 410 combo with 115 cab. Beutiful amp, loved it. That too, is relevant as I sold the (mint cond.) 4x10 combo over a bass forum (not this one mind you) for exactly £300. Within your budget an would easily handle anything you could throw at it volume-wise.

Edit- where have you applied for uni?[/quote]
atm bournemouth is the only one i want to go to, my back up is a foundation at weymouth college :/

i'm liking the look of the ashdown, will look second hand when i actually have the cash saved up.

Just remember that if you do actually get to uni, 40% is a pass mark. Make it through the A-Levels!

I like Laney too, in fact I own a R1 practice amp becuase I had good experiences with the gear and sound, everything except the volume. I dont need the little amp to be loud but its small, light and it has a solid DI output. It doesnt see the light of day as much now that Ive got a little GK rig too, but it holds its own in the sound department no problem.