Why become a member? ×

Mayones Jabba Classic and similar Jazz basses

Musicman20

Has anyone tried the Mayones basses that Mark @ Bass Direct has in stock?

Im widening my scope and basically looking at everything, not fussed which store its from, but would rather it be one where I can go if any problems.

The Mayones Jabba Classic is a very pretty bass in dirty sunburst.

Some of my recent orders I made have been cancelled so Im back on the Jazz hunt.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1342943' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:48 AM']Has anyone tried the Mayones basses that Mark @ Bass Direct has in stock?

Im widening my scope and basically looking at everything, not fussed which store its from, but would rather it be one where I can go if any problems.

Some of my recent orders I made have been cancelled so Im back on the Jazz hunt.[/quote]

I think [b]haimesy[/b] on here has one, at least a regular Jabba, might be worth shooting him a PM, he's one of the good guys :)

I'm looking to try them out at some point (hopefully in the next week or so), depending on when I can be bothered to drive to Warwick.

And I will be going with some mighty high expectations - today I was out testing the following:

[list]
[*]Lakland 55-60
[*]Fender Jazz V
[*]G&L 2500 Tribute
[*]Sandberg TM
[*]Sandberg VM
[*]Sadowsky UV70 Metro 5
[/list]

Out of all of them, the Sadowsky really blew everything away. The Lakland wasn't that well setup, so the B string was super loud, and there was a lot of fret buzz, but it just didn't have the same presence as the Sad.

The Sandbergs were big disappointments - the VM sounded fat, but I couldn't get any useable tones with the hum-bucker, so I reckon a standard P-bass would have been just as good. The TM I just didn't like at all.

The G&L has a huge variety of sounds, and in a band I'm sure would sound amazing - but up against the UV70 it sounded just ... I don't know. It lacked attack, and I had trouble figuring out the controls! It may just have been that the strings were dead, but I really had to boost the treble in order to get any sort of articulation out of it.

And the Sadowsky just growled like a beast, with a super Marcus Miller slap tone. I love that thing - I hope the Jabbas come close to it!

I tried the white one he's got on the stand nearest the door a couple of weeks back. Was intrigued by the Polish connection.

Yes, I liked it - but it needs a set up (and lighter strings to suit me) so it felt pretty ordinary from a playability point of view - but looks gorgeous.

+1 on the weight. Not only does it feel like a big bass, it weighs nearly as much as my early 80's Korean ply precision, which is hilariously weighty.

Worth a play, though.

w./

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1342943' date='Aug 17 2011, 11:48 AM']Has anyone tried the Mayones basses that Mark @ Bass Direct has in stock?

Some of my recent orders I made have been cancelled so Im back on the Jazz hunt.[/quote]

Looks very nice, good demo track with it as well.

[quote name='Graham' post='1344670' date='Aug 18 2011, 06:04 PM']I tried one before i bought my mayones be4 - nice bass with a good classic tone, but i preferred the neck on the be4.

Probably not what your looking for but i'm actually selling the be4......... ;-)[/quote]

Hi Guys.......I have had mine a while now,great bass a little heavy i suppose but not uncomfortable[ i have done a 4hr gig with it] I never use it in passive mode always active.
Fantastic build quality,and very easy to play.
Having moved back to 5 string recently sadly not getting much use,highly recomended by me.
All the best John

• 5 weeks later...

I picked up an all white (no scratchplate) passive jabba about a year ago and installed an East j-retro deluxe active circuit (see avatar <<)

A very striking looking bass if a touch on the heavy side (about 9.5 lbs); it’s very well put together bass and plays very well indeed. It sounded good in its original passive state, but the East pre-amp really brings it to life (have to be careful with the settings thru)!

It has been gigged a lot in the past year and it seems to have made a good impression and I’m very happy with it. As I said in the Sandberg thread, I was after a ‘super jazz’ and couldn’t afford the £2k plus for a Sadowsky or a Nordstrand and the Mayones was a good alternative. I played a Fodera jazz a while ago and actually preferred the Jabba, which is saying something!!

Edited by peteb

• 9 months later...

If you're keen on a 24 fret active jazz, how about an ACG J-Type?
Scoop's one is an absolute peach! >> http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/308/
There's a rather tasty one in stock too >> http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Available/18/
I can certainly vouch for ACGs, although I've not played a J-Type yet, I should hopefully get a noodle on one this weekend, can let you know me thoughts if you want.

Cheers,
Eude

I dunno if it's a 4 or 5 you're after - I recall a good review of the Jabba 5 in that bass mag the other year, the 5s are 34 (and a bit) scale too which should be comfortable enough after EBMMs, albeit at 19mm spacing (is that right? 45mm nut according to specs). If your SRs are anything like mine you might not mind weight either!

Quite like those ACG Jazzes Eude- quite a cool angular take on the classic, if a bit skjoldesque. Some nice J5s on the website. Anyone know the scale? Or the price? Would he whip the skinny tuners off and bung some more trad looking cloverleaf ultralights on it I wonder? I can feel GAS coming on.

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1342691924' post='1739290']
If you're keen on a 24 fret active jazz, how about an ACG J-Type?
Scoop's one is an absolute peach! >> [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/308/"]http://www.acguitars...uk/Gallery/308/[/url]
There's a rather tasty one in stock too >> [url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Available/18/"]http://www.acguitars...k/Available/18/[/url]
I can certainly vouch for ACGs, although I've not played a J-Type yet, I should hopefully get a noodle on one this weekend, can let you know me thoughts if you want.

Cheers,
Eude
[/quote]

Quite nice...ill take a look, thanks.

[quote name='sime17' timestamp='1342727788' post='1740186']
I dunno if it's a 4 or 5 you're after - I recall a good review of the Jabba 5 in that bass mag the other year, the 5s are 34 (and a bit) scale too which should be comfortable enough after EBMMs, albeit at 19mm spacing (is that right? 45mm nut according to specs). If your SRs are anything like mine you might not mind weight either!

Quite like those ACG Jazzes Eude- quite a cool angular take on the classic, if a bit skjoldesque. Some nice J5s on the website. Anyone know the scale? Or the price? Would he whip the skinny tuners off and bung some more trad looking cloverleaf ultralights on it I wonder? I can feel GAS coming on.
[/quote]

Yeah the style and scale suits me, but im now used to 17.5mm spacing...ill have to give it some thought.