Why become a member? ×

heads

bassmansky

I've used an ASHDOWN EVO II ( I think it was an Evo II-may've been an earlier model, but def. was an Evo) but IIRC it was a 500w amp head, running into a GK 4x10" cab. Sounded GREAT IMO. Actually quite a 'vintage' sound! May've been able to dial that out for a modern edge-dunno. But I just recall it sounded good to me- I'm a Valve amp guy & have been all my life. I HAVE tried many S.S. amps & hybrids & have been underwhelmed by them all. BUT- the Ashdown DID impress me- sounded 'vintage' (it is a hybrid amp) but still cut thru well & seemed to be pretty versatile. I only used it one night - as it was a backline at a 'lots of bands' type gig. I liked it! I DO own a Mark Bass LMII now & am impressed w/ that also..& thats all S.S. But I still love my Ampegs valve babes better!

I've got an ABM EVOII 500w 2x10 combo jobbie that I run with an ABM 2x10T ported cab and it sounds jolly good. :) Trace-y with the valve off (it has a similar mid-scoop to the Trace), tube-y with it in. The EVOIII (with on-board compression) has just come out, so you might get a good deal on an EVOII. The pair of 2x10's gives good vol & tone for the din I make (2 gits & drummer), but I wouldn't mind A/Bing it with a 1x15 just to see what it was like ... :huh: Don't get me GASing.... ;)

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='gilmour' post='155200' date='Mar 11 2008, 11:39 AM']I used Trace for years, and whenever I did a gig with an Ashdown it was a disapointment. If you want a Trace sound go for a Trace, there are loads about second hand.[/quote]
+1 but I still use Trace!!

thanks for all that,i got a trace 300w 1x15 combo which sounds good but you hear people say that a seperate head with a cab or cabs makes a better sound.perhaps i need to try another cab with mine first before i decide.very tempted with the ashdown though,nearly all traces about are combos. :)