Why become a member? ×

Which home practice amp?

molan

My regular setup is a Euphonic 1x10 combo with a matching 1x12 cab for larger gigs. I also have an old Trace V-Type with a simple 200w power amp as a backup.

Because of complicated travel arrangements I now have to leave my Euphonic at the rehearsal rooms so could do with something nice to practice with at home - I'm fed up playing through headphones all the time!

I can use the Trace and my Euphonic 1x12 to practice with but it's very "warm" and I'd like something really portable I can cart around the house and play in whichever room I feel like.

I used to have a GK MB150 which was perfect for this but a double bass playing friend made me an offer and I sold it a while ago. I've seen these for around the £350 mark secondhand but that's too much really to justify purely for home use (well that's what my wife says anyway!).

So the question is - what's out there that has a decent low volume tone, ideally with an input for an MP3 player that's easily portable and doesn't cost the earth?

Answers on a postcard please. . . . . . . :)

Hi Molan

You could do a lot worse than try out my Roland 30W Bass Cube. It has an MP3/Aux in and sounds great at low volumes with 4 or 5 strings. I've had some interest but currently still available. See below:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14362"]Roland 30W Bass Cube[/url]

A few folks on the site have had them and they're generally thought highly of.

If you don't go that route you could try a Line6 110 combo, which some on the site like (I wasn't too keen but others disagree)

Cheers

Stu

Hi i most likely have the same combo ( iAmp 350) perhaps you could buy or build (omni 10.5) a small cab and just take the head out of the combo, it comes out very easily and while not as light as say mark bass stuff is still portable. Failing that i have owned both the Roland and the line 6 110 and much preferred the little line 6, awesome for a 12" cube. Another option if you have a decent audio system is a Line 6 pod into an aux input, that can work well at moderate volumes.

By the way what extension cab are you using? I am thinking about a compact 12" cab to go with mine but can't decide which would fit my needs.

MB1. :)
Have just read about a new roland practice amp which has just been unvieled at this years Namm 2008. It runs on batterys/mains has onboard digital effects and seems to be a 4x?????? its called the Microcube Bass RX. Pictures of it in the march/april Sound Control Magazine REVERB.Could be worth a sniff?.

I've got a Line6 Studio 110 and would be happy to recommend it to anyone.

Huge variety of sounds, sounds good at low or medium volume (haven't tried cranking it up too loud though, admittedly) and has a decent quality speaker emulator XLR out so is easy to record too.

Feels really nicely built too - very solid.

Has an extra input for MP3 although I've not used it on mine.

[url="http://line6.com/lowdown/studio110.html"]http://line6.com/lowdown/studio110.html[/url]

[quote name='steve-norris' post='155272' date='Mar 11 2008, 01:21 PM']Hi i most likely have the same combo ( iAmp 350) perhaps you could buy or build (omni 10.5) a small cab and just take the head out of the combo, it comes out very easily and while not as light as say mark bass stuff is still portable. Failing that i have owned both the Roland and the line 6 110 and much preferred the little line 6, awesome for a 12" cube. Another option if you have a decent audio system is a Line 6 pod into an aux input, that can work well at moderate volumes.

By the way what extension cab are you using? I am thinking about a compact 12" cab to go with mine but can't decide which would fit my needs.[/quote]

Now that's a clever idea - I'd never thought of taking the head out of the combo, really easy to remove as well.

I'm using the Euphonic CXL112 - nice piece of kit and obviously works well with the i-Amp 350. Really expands the sound and the extra depth helps to cut through if you're up against a loud drummer.