Why become a member? ×

Pickups for my RBX270

chipmunk_jr

I’m currently rebuilding a Yamaha RBX270 that I bought for £50 a couple of months ago and I am finally getting round to sorting it out. At the moment I’m looking to put some new pickups in as the old once have given up. I was looking to put in some Seymour Duncan BBSP-3 and BBSJ-3. Have anyone used these, and if so how good are they? Also if anyone has any subjections of any other pickups I should buy instead it would be appreciated.

thx
UG

I went for Dimarzio Model P/J set, and they are awesome! Because the J is split coil humbucking , you don't get any unpleasant noise when you solo the bridge pickup. They sound monster! There is a thread on here somewhere from when I did my RBX270 project called Best £200 bass ever!!!

[quote name='janmaat' post='1336651' date='Aug 11 2011, 04:35 PM']stick up some pics m8 i have done the same

biggest change was the bridge, but some yummies have ok bridges.[/quote]

I will when I’m over my mates (keeping up there). It’s not looking to good atm though. I’ve just striped it down to the original primer and looking round at designs for it. I’m thinking of putting some of Banksy’s graffiti art on it.

[attachment=86788:before.jpg]
this is what it looked like before. looks alot better on the photo.

[attachment=86789:banksy_toxic_rat.jpg]
the stencil I'm going to use.

crap bridge, I had the same. Schaller fits perfectly, - yes, expensive (more than the bass almost) but THAT made the difference, more than the pup.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/de/schaller_bass_bridge_2000_4s_chrome.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/de/schaller_bass_bri...0_4s_chrome.htm[/url]

graffiti: get some transparent plastic, cut the stencil, then contact glue, then spray, then wait till it's dry, stencil off; then coat of gloss if you think that's necessary... but trust me, there is NO graffiti you will not regret in 20 years time - besides, you're not banksy. just my private opinon :) plus, why not make it sound really good first, and then you can still do the art? - or find somebody who does original, really good art work?

Edited by janmaat

I put on a Wilkinson bridge with brass saddles; £15! Made a great difference to the tone and sustain but wasn't disproportionate to the cost of the bass. In fact it made more difference than a Gotoh which I put on a previous Yamaha. The only place I spent more was the pickups because I knew that they would have the biggest impact on the sound.

• 1 year later...

It's an old thread but, anyway .......

I just picked up one of these yesterday. I was in Absolute Music in Poole and was playing a few basses. THis one blew me away for tone and versatility. Also decent playability. This is all for £220. No doubt I will do some twekaing and modding on it, but I am already impressed at the basic bass. In fact, I think the pickups are particularly impressive for this price range bass. I've got some very nice P basss pickups coming in though, so will probably try them out in it.
Compared to the RBX170, it seems that you get an Alder body and upgraded pickups.

I had an RBX270F that I upgraded with SD p/ups (vintage style) - nearly went for the Wizard P/J set, high mass bridge and changed to V / V / T controls (from V / B / T). Great basses for projects imho.