Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Chapman Stick (10-string)

bnt

I think the idea of auctions on here is silly and it isn't going to work.

The seller should ideally put a firm asking price and not invite offers, unless of course it is a unique instrument where the value of it is unsure. Either way any dealings should be done via PM and not in the thread.

[quote name='Machines' post='154438' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:59 AM']I think the idea of auctions on here is silly and it isn't going to work.[/quote]
fair enough; but please READ what i said:
[quote]i'm not saying it should become the preferred method for selling on BC[/quote]
[quote]but it's not completely invalid in all cases.[/quote]
like maybe, as you said:
[quote]unless of course it is a unique instrument where the value of it is unsure.[/quote]
there are no rules that i know of that say that bnt can't sell like this and he was quite clear in his first post.

[quote]The seller should ideally put a firm asking price and not invite offers[/quote]
apart from a few cases it always ends up as offers anyway, it's just whether they are below the initial asking price or above an initial "reserve".

anyway bnt, good luck with your sale; we'll stop hijacking your thread now.

it's saved you a few "bumps" anyway! :)

daf

Edited by daflewis

[quote name='Machines' post='154438' date='Mar 10 2008, 11:59 AM']I think the idea of auctions on here is silly and it isn't going to work.

The seller should ideally put a firm asking price and not invite offers, unless of course it is a unique instrument where the value of it is unsure. Either way any dealings should be done via PM and not in the thread.[/quote]
Yes, I get that now - thank you to everyone who's beat me over the head with that! How about making a sticky out it - the Rules for selling on BassChat?

But where was I proposing a full-blown auction? I was looking for a little interest in getting some offer higher than the starting price, but not necessarily the maximum I can get for it. Is there no "Third Way"?

If I put it on eBay, there is the expectation that I can just ship the thing to wherever the winner happens to be, which is a real problem from Ireland: expensive, and if my attempts to receive things are any guide, a bloody nightmare. I tried to avoid that cost and hassle by connecting the sale to the Northampton Bass Bash - which would also give anyone else a chance to try it out, just for kicks. Too subtle, apparently.

OK, a change of plan: I've also put it up on Stickist, [url="http://www.stickist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=328&p=2413"]here[/url]. Attending the Bass Bash was always going to be awkward, because it would mean taking time off (university starts again on the 25th), and I'm off now, so: I've brought my UK trip forward to this coming weekend (14-17). I'll be staying in Manchester, but will be making day trips on Saturday & Sunday, probably to London, and/or anywhere I can get to and from in a day.

I just checked the shipping costs again, and they've gone up again, so shipping the Stick to the UK would cost over €130 (£100) - which is 50% more than it's costing me to get to Manchester and back by ferry and train.

I know this looks like a weird way of doing things, but I like travelling, it bypasses shipping costs, and it lets a potential buyer have a look at the Stick without obligation, instead of buying it sight unseen. Make me an offer - I'm a nicer guy than I look in text form, honest! :)

Edited by bnt

A shame you're not attending the bass bash! Would've been great to try a stick out. Even though i'm no current financial position to buy one.. one day.

And I don't see everyones beef with what went on with the asking price, it was clearly an honest mistake, and I don't see anything bad about £900 either. Though bnt, I do recommend you edit your initial post to avoid any confusion.