Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried SIT strings recently?

molan

I tried a load of different manufacturers on my Waterstone 12 string until eventually settling on SITs. Tension is great on this instrument, they sound very bright and last forever. The only downside is that I find them a tad coarse under the fingers, but as the Waterstone isn't my main bass it's not so much of a problem.
P

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='1346117' date='Aug 20 2011, 09:45 AM']I tried a load of different manufacturers on my Waterstone 12 string until eventually settling on SITs. Tension is great on this instrument, they sound very bright and last forever. [b]The only downside is that I find them a tad coarse under the fingers,[/b] but as the Waterstone isn't my main bass it's not so much of a problem.
P[/quote]
Are they steels?
I don't really get on with SS strings for that very reason and normally go with nickels.

[quote name='skelf' post='1346145' date='Aug 20 2011, 10:32 AM']They do made SS strings but for the same reason as you I always go for nickels.[/quote]
Yep cheers Alan. :)

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='1346193' date='Aug 20 2011, 11:22 AM']Ou7shined
They're actually Powerwound nickels. I got them through Alan/Skelf a while back...I had a couple of sets of D'Addarios to work through before I put the SITs on.
P[/quote]
Interesting. Would you say they feel as sticky/gritty as steels or are your fingertips (as mine probably are) just particularly sensitive to the difference.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1346208' date='Aug 20 2011, 11:38 AM']Yep cheers Alan. :)

Interesting. Would you say they feel as sticky/gritty as steels or are your fingertips (as mine probably are) just particularly sensitive to the difference.[/quote]

It's a weird thing (and bear in mind the 12 has a pair of octave along with each fundamental string, so the playing surface is maybe double that of a regular four string), but after I play it for any length of time my fingertips just seem over-dry and skin-dusty (ugh!). Does this make sense? I guess the octave strings are kind of contributory to this. It's not so much of a problem, the strings aren't uncomfortable, just a little rough/coarse!

I tend to use nickels on everything I have, but it's not a conscious choice; after playing for so long, string choice ebbs and flows...I went years on Rotosounds, then moved to Elites, now its generally D'Addarios on seven or eight basses. Ernie Balls on the Bongo 5, Hellborgs on the Thunderbird, SITs on the 12 (currently) and D'Addarios on everything else. I don't an nickel allergy or anything.

I'd definitely be up for trying some SITs (4095 set...I'm such a pussy) on the Thunderbird...I'm due a change. Steels or nickels.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='1346238' date='Aug 20 2011, 12:01 PM']It's a weird thing (and bear in mind the 12 has a pair of octave along with each fundamental string, so the playing surface is maybe double that of a regular four string), but after I play it for any length of time my fingertips just seem over-dry and skin-dusty (ugh!). Does this make sense? I guess the octave strings are kind of contributory to this. It's not so much of a problem, the strings aren't uncomfortable, just a little rough/coarse!
....[/quote]
Cool. I think I get what you're saying - although I've never experienced it myself.
What I get with steels is a spikey feeling "underfoot" and if I'm going swiftly from one end of the neck to the other I often come up a tad short as my fingers with steels seem to act like "discs and pads" compared to my nickel's "drums and shoes". :)

So in summary, if you're a nickel fan the Powerwounds probably won't feel any different?

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1346264' date='Aug 20 2011, 12:23 PM']So in summary, if you're a nickel fan the Powerwounds probably won't feel any different?[/quote]

I guess we could go round in circles here! I wouldn't say I'm a fan of either nickel or stainless steels, BUT it's just that what I buy seems mainly to be nickel, but in all honesty I doubt I have preference for either; so long as they're roundwound and not flat or tape-coated I'm generally a happy bunny.

Just try a set - nickel or steels - they sound great (on my 12) and they seem to last for ages.

A question for Alan - have you got a Powerwound 4095L set in Stainless or Nickel? I'll put them on my Thunderbird and report back!
P

• 10 years later...