Why become a member? ×

Sansamp BDDI: just not for me?

Fiorenza2

I'm considering buying a Bass Driver DI, but here's a little background:

I bought a Behringer BDI21 about 3 years ago, and I've tried numerous times over the years to get along with it, but I can never coax a sound out of it that I preferred more than the uneffected tone. I've tried various basses with no success, and I assumed the Sansamp BDDI would be similar.

However, I recently had an opportunity to hear one in person, and the Sansamp sounded really good, nothing like my BDI21. I've also checked out some Youtube demos of the BDDI, and every time it sounds far different to my BDI21. For example, I only get a sort of overdrive on my Behringer if I crank the gain full, whereas on the BDDI the 1 o'clock setting yields the same results, and can go on to get really fuzzy.

Am I just not suited to the BDDI design, or is my Behringer at fault? Considering how similar these units purportedly are, I'm thinking the former...

Any help would be great,
Phil

I`ve had both, and kept the Behringer, as to me, they both did roughly the same, but I could get more cash selling the Sansamp. If anything, I found that the Behringer coloured the sound less than the Sansamp, which has a real mid-scoop. I also found that the Sansamps gain was too much for me.

I went through exactly the same process.
I got a BDI21 4 years ago for a one off gig where there was no back line. I tried to use it over the following years but never felt it was better than straight bass tone.
I was about to sell it last year so got it out for a gig, just to test it out and it was like i suddenly got it. Its all in the blend control. Im not after any real grit or fuzz so maybe it works better for me, but once it all clicked in to place i started to use it at every gig until i finally got a "real" BDDI (i also had a VT bass but sold that after a few weeks).

To my ears (and most peoples IME) there isnt a great deal between the two tone wise, so maybe yours is faulty but like i said, i dont push the Drive up enough to get in to that type of tone.

Another member has my BDI21 at the moment but i can get it back if you wanted to try it. In fact if you wanted to come over and try yours next to my BDDI let me know.

In terms of functionality, the BDDI is great. You just have to accept that it is fairly limited in terms of tone and colours your sound.

I really like mine but would like the opportunity of trying out the alternatives (mainly the MXR and Agular models) before I would recommend it to anyone as a lot of people won't like it.

Thanks for the responses,

I've been running my BDI21 through the XLR out into my USB interface through headphones, and I've never attempted to use it live, as at school (the only place I can play with a PA) the soundguys aren't particularly fond of things they've never seen before. Is this perhaps where I've been going wrong?

I appreciate the offer Dave, and may take you up on it. I've got a bass lesson on Thursday, and my teacher runs a Sansamp BDDI, so I may try to get some information from him as to sound etc. If I'm still undecided, I'll definitely be in contact :)

I've also been considering the MXR and DHA alternatives, but I'm not a fan of the overdrive on the MXR, and I doubt I can get the equivalent DHA second hand (can't afford anything more than £90).

Cheers,
Phil