Why become a member? ×

Flat Earth Society

Panamonte

It started with the La Bella FS set on the Jazz replacing the DR Sunbeams which went onto the fretless before they were, in turn, replaced with TI flats. Sorted - very nice - both basses sounding fantastic. I'd stuck with the DR Lo-Riders on the P for a while, but still wasn't getting the sound I was after, so I switched to D'Addario Chromes last week. Took me a couple of days to get used to the stiffer strings, but - oh joy - it now sounds unbelievably great. I can't put it down.

I know there's a certain amount of scepticism about the enthusiasm for flats espoused by some members on these boards and, of course, I appreciate that only rounds will deliver the tone that some of you guys are after. But after only using rounds for the last 30 years of on/off playing I have to say that flats have been an absolute revelation and, for me at least, it's a flat, flat, flat, flat, flat, flat world. :)

[quote name='ficelles' post='1331611' date='Aug 8 2011, 01:09 AM']Still not found a set of flats I like, they are all too high tension for me especially the G. Any low tension set recommendations?

ficelles[/quote]

Thomastik's are a lower tension, but often for this reason don't have the same cred as the La Bellas do for example. They're easier on necks as well.

[quote name='ficelles' post='1331611' date='Aug 8 2011, 01:09 AM']Still not found a set of flats I like, they are all too high tension for me especially the G. Any low tension set recommendations?

ficelles[/quote]

After years of zingy rounds, I'm a born-again flat-earther - what Wateroftyne and Panamonte said.

I'm using D'Addario Chromes and find them really soft and easy to play, despite a lot of folk here finding them 'stiff'. Maybe I'm using a lighter set? I can't remember the gauge, but they have blue silk if that gives any clues.

Got Chrome Flats on my P and Roto Rounds on my J.

Love the flats/P sound and playing near the neck can get it sounding almost like a DB. A lot easier on the fingers as well, but quite a bit stiffer than the Rotos. The rounds/J is a lot brighter as would be expected, so between the two I can get pretty much any sound I want.

I'd try flats, but I don't know what bass to try them on!
They just all sound so good with rounds.

Here's the choices;

OLP MM3
Squier VMJ with a BadAssII
Yamaha Attitude
MIA Jazz

(I've left out the rest of the collection, as they're 5s, 6s or ultra-modern designs, which don't seem appropriate somehow)
I like the look of TI!
/involuntary hijack :)

[quote name='Panamonte' post='1331581' date='Aug 8 2011, 12:31 AM']It started with the La Bella FS set on the Jazz replacing the DR Sunbeams which went onto the fretless before they were, in turn, replaced with TI flats. Sorted - very nice - both basses sounding fantastic. I'd stuck with the DR Lo-Riders on the P for a while, but still wasn't getting the sound I was after, so I switched to D'Addario Chromes last week. Took me a couple of days to get used to the stiffer strings, but - oh joy - it now sounds unbelievably great. I can't put it down.

I know there's a certain amount of scepticism about the enthusiasm for flats espoused by some members on these boards and, of course, I appreciate that only rounds will deliver the tone that some of you guys are after. But after only using rounds for the last 30 years of on/off playing I have to say that flats have been an absolute revelation and, for me at least, it's a flat, flat, flat, flat, flat, flat world. :)[/quote]

heh... similar situation for me. Having tried various types of flatwounds on various basses... I could enjoy some of the character, but I was neevr "in love" until I tried chromes on the CV Squier 51.
One of the OLPs followed soon afterwards. Again, yum! :)

Next will be a Jazz :lol:

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1332626' date='Aug 8 2011, 07:45 PM']I'd try flats, but I don't know what bass to try them on!
They just all sound so good with rounds.

Here's the choices;

OLP MM3
Squier VMJ with a BadAssII
Yamaha Attitude
MIA Jazz

(I've left out the rest of the collection, as they're 5s, 6s or ultra-modern designs, which don't seem appropriate somehow)
I like the look of TI!
/involuntary hijack :)[/quote]

It looks to me like that VMJ is screaming for flats, in that situation :)

ficelles[/quote]

Have you tried the D'Addario nylon tapewounds? ETB92.
They are not your standard flats, granted, they sound a bit different. They're not your standard tapewounds either, they are zingier than usual.
They come in 50-105 gauge, but they feel very soft. I actually took a caliper to mine because I could not believe the gauges were correct when I got them. If you like low tension I would certainly give these a try.

I put them on a P-bass fretless and they are very nice there. I'm not sure I'd like them in a fretted bass because of the low tension... but maybe you would.

I have LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats on my Hofner Ignition and Squier VM Amber P-Bass. The Hofner set is 39-56-77-96 and they are a pleasure to play. As for the set on the P-Bass, I thought I'd be intrepid and go for the 'Original Vintage 1954' set which are 52-73-95-110. I haven't used heavy-guage strings since I started playing (I thought heavy-guage strings would last longer back then - built up calluses quickly!) but I don't find these uncomfortable to play in the least.

I usually use TI Flats, which although a bit more expensive, are really comfortable to play and sound surprisingly bright to begin with. I had a set on an old P-Bass for four years and they mellowed really well. I'm thinking of putting a set on my G&L L2000 Tribute.

On the subject of flats - are D'Addario making strings for Fender now? I bought a set of Fender flats for my old Peavey Zodiac BXP and they looked and felt remarkably like D'Addario Chromes, which I've also found to be a pleasant string in the past.

Edited by Green Alsatian

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

I'll take the DR FatBeams off of the VMJ, and the Elites off of the Attitude and have a little swap around... I'll put the DRs on the Attitude (which deserves nice strings but never seems to get them!) and put some flats on the VMJ. If that doesn't work out, I'll swap them over!
Something tells me that the Attitude might just be awesome wearing flats. Sounds like thunder with rounds, but could do with losing some "twang". Compliant flats may be a cure....

Flats just really are where it's at.

Although, having not really rehearsed that much recently, and using a slightly underpowered amp last night... (Ampeg B100R in a small, dead room, with 2 guitars, fender twin, marshall stack & drums)... I used a pick on my LaBella strung Jazz for the second run through of our set. (Got a bit blistery during the first) Very interesting... Very interesting indeed.

Never liked picks with TIs. So much I stopped using picks at all.

So what about a set for my fretless G&L L2500? Strings through body and I have to get extra long Elixirs or the taper starts before the nut and the B at least rattles in the nut. I could I suppose string the B on top rather than through body. Got caught out and wasted at least one string from a set before now :)

Seeing that Strings Direct had them in stock, I gave into temptation and put a set of TI flats on my G&L L2000 Tribute tonight, to replace the ProSteels. I couldn't stop playing it! They've mellowed out the G&L a bit, but without losing its character - still bright enough with the treble on full, but delicious when rolled off a little.

I thought it sounded great with the rounds, but have to say, I prefer it with the flats. It's only my modified Peavey Millenium BXP 5-string that has rounds now.