Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror

waynepunkdude

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1339895696' post='1696090']
Interesting read. My gas is turning orange.
One question: other than price, are there differences between the UK made and China made ones?
[/quote]
[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1339932027' post='1696363']
To the best of my knowledge, all the OBT's are made in China.
[/quote]

There is a hand-wired (they call it hard-wired) version that is UK built and UK pricier.

But (depending on your point of view) the same thing.

Edited by billyapple

I'd love an OBT, but due to the fact I've got a Matamp GT200 and I'm big enough to lug it about, I cant really justify the purchase. However I will say this, I have played thru an OBT twice. In a shop. The first time I bought the bass, the second time I'm squirming to buy the bass.

Top banana

Edited by billyapple

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1339973545' post='1697216']
There is a hand-wired (they call it hard-wired) version that is UK built and UK pricier.

But (depending on your point of view) the same thing.
[/quote]

Think might only be the Tiny Terror that is all valve. The Bass Terror is mostly a class D power module and SMPS that will be far too complex to handwire.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1339974615' post='1697231']
Think might only be the Tiny Terror that is all valve. The Bass Terror is mostly a class D power module and SMPS that will be far too complex to handwire.
[/quote]

You know what, I think you are right. It's late, I'm mixing up my G's&B's. Nite!

So...my amp broke down at last weekend's gig and my local shop provided me with one of these as a loaner until I get my old one back from repair...

I must say I'm seriously impressed, even if I have only used it at home and not taken it to any gigs yet. At home I'm afraid to put the volume dial past 8 o'clock - that's already too loud for the neighbors! Next friday I'll be taking it to rehearsal and saturday I'll give it a go at a gig. Had pretty much decided my next purchase would be the Reidmar. Now I'm not so sure anymore.. I do think I'll be loath to give it back after the repairs are done on the old one... Ouch.

Anyway, great little monster, sounds pretty smooth with the 2 x EBS Classic twelves... Maybe the only niggle is that it almost has too much bottom end for my taste. We'll see how it goes in a band setting...

Cheers,
Grtz

[quote name='grtz' timestamp='1340132395' post='1699771']Maybe the only niggle is that it almost has too much bottom end for my taste.[/quote]

The EQ is flattest with bass and treble all the way down and mids maxed according to the BassGearMag review. Don't be afraid to turn that bass control down and the mids up!

Replaced the valves in my terror yesterday so thought I'd share my thoughts. Got two Tung Sol 12AX7's from Watford Valves.

The main reason I decided to swap them was I found the low end to be a little muddy and undefined, particularly right down at the lowest frets. I have to say that right away I noticed a difference. It's not a major tone change, it's still the same great Orange sound, but everything sounds a little 'tighter', if that makes sense. There's definitely an added brightness, and the mids sound perhaps a little more aggresive, if that's possible!

I went for the Tung Sol valves in particular as I seen someone on Talkbass had mentioned that they work particularly well with an aggressive fuzz/OD in the terror. This is most definitely true! Higher gain settings on my ODB-3 sound even better now, with the clearer low end and brighter sound making the notes jump right through instead of kind of lurking around underneath the effect. Another plus it that the amp seems more responsive to the eq on the Boss pedal as well. The smallest tweak of the treble knob gives noticeable and usable change in tone, which is brilliant. (I've also just received an MXR M108 eq pedal so this bodes well!)

I haven't had the chance to properly put it through its paces yet, this was just what I found after a couple of hours of jamming in my house with my guitarist (got a band practice tomorrow though so will have the chance to see how it reacts to higher volume/gain settings), but so far it seems like a very good move. For less than £30 inc delivery I'd recommend it.

Guess I'm in a very small minority here, but I used the 1000w version at a rehearsal studio a couple of weeks ago and I didn't like it at all....

Incredibly loud, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get a sound I liked. Not so much the tone, but it just sounded distorted and buzzy. It could have been the cabs I suppose, but it was a big disappointment to me.

Plus one on the 'buzziness'. When i tried one it sounded so 'fake valve sound'. Kinda like the old kays catalogue guitar amps with the distortion switch. I think OTB's try to nail a valve sound but sound more like an angry bee stuck in an ale can! If you want valve sound you can pick up a Sound City Valve amp for not much more than an OTB

My Bass Terror arrived today, finally, along with a SP212 cab.

Until this moment, all I can say is that I'm more than happy with the sound I'm getting from it!! I'm simply addicted. I tested it with a Fender PBass (flatwound strings) and it sounds so vintage and mellow! The ultimate test will be in a rehearsal, tomorrow, but I'm sure it will do fine. The output is amazing when you look at the size of the cab+head.

I'll probably change the valves in a few weeks, though, as I believe it will sound more defined, particularly in the low end. For the price it costs it's a total bargain, I'm so glad I bought it!!

[left]I changed the valves in mine tonight .. set of [left][font="Trebuchet, Trebuchet MS"][color="#333333"]12AT7WA / ECC81 PHILIPS off ebay. WOW .. I loved the sound of the amp before .. but never really got the gain above 9 o'clock .. tonight I was playing with the gain at 12 and it has made a significant improvement in the volume of the silky smooth tone coming out of my cab. I played for years through an all valve ampeg set up and I can honestly say I've never been happier with my sound, the little orange beast NAILS the valve tone without any of the hassle of a 'real' valve amp. Seriously the smoothest punchiest amp I've ever played through.[/color][/font][/left]

It totally depends on what music you're playing .. for the rock/punk covers band i was just in the stock valves couldn't have sounded better! I'm now playing in a 6-10 piece funk/jazz band and I was just looking for something a bit softer .. it has cleared the sound up a bit as well, without loosing any of the niceness! It's a doddle to do ..for £30 why not take a punt? The worst that is going to happen is you rathered it before .. then you swap your old ones back in and pop the new ones on e-bay! If you're being even tigher than that then only swap out V1 (on the right hand side).
How anybody can say thy don't like the sound of these little beasts is beyond me! .. or perhaps they haven't tried one with a fender p with flats on! :)

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1340232159' post='1701642']
How anybody can say thy don't like the sound of these little beasts is beyond me! .. or perhaps they haven't tried one with a fender p with flats on! :)
[/quote]

I totally agree! It's the perfect match!! :lol:

Interesting that the change of valves has that much an impact on the Gain. My experience of owning an OTB was much as Dave Tipping stated, couldn`t get the Gain on more than 9 o`clock. Though even then, I didn`t need the Volume on more than that either, for gigs. Very interesting though.

@ Dave Tipping - What made you go for the Phillips valves then?

I've just got myself a Wood & Tronics and it's quite hot, but also seems to 'mud' up the sound of the Terror a bit, so some different valves would be worth a shot. Haven't had a chance to really tweak the gain and all that though to accommodate the bass yet though mind.

Need to get myself a decent cab first though! Quite fancy an all orange rig, but don't want a 4x10 and reckon the 1x15 would be too wooly but I don't know!

These amps do kick ass though...I was running it through an SVT 610HLF last year using a Precision or Gibson Grabber, punk rock madness...it was insane!!!

I'm one of the people that hated the Terror bass when I tried it in a shop, on every gain setting it sounded like a dull grungy fuzz-box of death. But, I was trying it as part of the combo so the speakers might have contributed to the incredible dull awfulness.
Talk of changing the valves for a cleaner sound intrigues me though...does anyone know anything about the preamp circuit in these? Specifically, whether the valves are run in starved plate mode or at a decent voltage? As I've mentioned on a thread about the MB Fusion I'm interested in an amp that can do that 'proper' high voltage valve pre shimmery top end. Has anyone managed to get that with this amp?

Edited by LawrenceH

As far as I know they aren't starved - they light up like a Christmas tree so there must be some decent voltage going through. Funnily enough my Gold Lion 12AX7s don't glow though.

I don't know about a shimmery top end though, that's not what this amp is about.

[quote name='bassjamm' timestamp='1340231675' post='1701634']
All this talk of swapping out the valves has got me wondering whether it's worth giving it a shot on my Terror...hmm!!!
[/quote]

Have you spotted Happy Jacks thread?...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/134869-re-valving-an-orange-bass-terror/page__hl__re%20valve"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/134869-re-valving-an-orange-bass-terror/page__hl__re%20valve[/url]

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1340236791' post='1701683']
As far as I know they aren't starved - they light up like a Christmas tree so there must be some decent voltage going through. Funnily enough my Gold Lion 12AX7s don't glow though.
[/quote]

The glowing bit is the heater than runs on 6.3v. If the starved bit, the plate, is glowing, your amp is broken. If a valve glows especially much in an amp, it will be the LED under it.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

I've just started using my Terror again after about 6months of just using my MarkBass, the MB is great, but I've really enjoyed coming back to the Terror. Wonderful sounding amp, for me anyway :)
I also changed my valves as per Happy Jacks 'How-to' thread, I'd say it was a subtle but important difference, just gives you that bit more clean head-room before any 'grind' is introduced to the sound.

Si

My OTB500 should be with me within the next few days.

I'll be trying it stock for the time being but, all the valve swopping intrigues me.

Although I've used an Ampeg SVT3Pro (with all it's 'valviness') for the last 6 years - I've only replaced valves like for like so, I'm a total n00b regarding the characteristics of the different types of valve.

Please excuse my naivety but is there and idiots guide to what the different preamp valves would add or take away when replacing the originals?

I'm sure it's not all guess work so, could I share in your enlightenment please??

Cheers

People, I need some serious help :( I came home so I could finally play my OBT for more than 10 minutes straight, and after 30 seconds it just died. The light was gone and the amp shut himself down... When I try to put it on, I hear really tiny and periodic snaps, as if it's trying to come alive.

Has this happened to you before? Grrr, I don't believe this happened in less than 24hours, the amp hasn't been touched since yesterday...