Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror

waynepunkdude

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1340567985' post='1706414']
Jack - have you tried putting just a single AT7 in the V1 position on the right hand side leaving a 12AX7 on the left?

I think there‘s a chance this could achieve the same result of taming the gain but give you more overall volume. My theory being that if you also have a lower gain tube just before the power amp you may not be getting the max amount of power from it.
[/quote]

Thought about it, yes. Done it, no.

The pair of valves I have in place right now give me an excellent tone, and I'm using up to 12 on the Gain combined with up to 3 on the Master Volume, so it's not like I'm short of headroom.

If I get made redundant then I may use some of my copious spare time to play around a bit more ...

Phillip's AT7's arrived, installed, and sounding lush!

Much better with them in. My Wood & Tronics Zoid is now a lot more usable with the amp. It was overloading the valves even in the active mode, which sucked, but that's all sorted now.

Thanks for the help on this guys.

And to anyone else out there thinking of making the switch I'd recommend it for sure.

I've just ordered the Bass Terror Combo (TB500C). Can't wait for it to arrive! Not fussed that it has valves in it (actually, I'd probably prefer if it didn't), but I've tried the head on a radio session and the combo in a shop, and really liked it. Might try to post some clips in anyone would be interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Yipee!

It sounds quite ace. Very old school with the Jazz.

There is, however, a slight buzzing while playing - it's the speaker, not the amp itself - it disappears if I touch the speaker whilst ringing a note. I've never bought a brand new amp before, so could it be that it just needs breaking in? Or just tightening of screws or what have you. I'd rather not have to send it back as it seems like a very small problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I've thrown mine around over a year and 80 or so shows, and it's been perfect. And I love it.

As far as I can tell, the majority of any problems have shown up early (as with all electrical goods) and I haven't personally heard of any trouble with service from Orange.

In fact I damaged mine early on (bent the valve contacts by cack-handedly inserting a used 12AX7) and Orange generously sorted me out for free, even though the blame was entirely mine.

So a big thumbs-up here.

Edited by KK Jale

Size - tick. Weight - tick. design - tick. Volume - double tick. Tone - tick. Versatility - not a big tick. Overall i find the OTB brilliant. However my ABM is better in every respect except weight, in my opinion. This current issue im having hasnt helped either.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1342784281' post='1740853']my ABM is better in every respect except weight, in my opinion. This current issue im having hasnt helped either.
[/quote]
IME you missed out size, design, VOLUME and tone from that list! I have used umpteen ABM 500's and never managed to get a good sound .. or a very loud signal out of one with a variety of cabs at a variety of venues / stages. My first amp was an old Ampeg V4-b so perhaps I was spoiled early on .. the Orange amp makes my bass sound like My bass .. If I change the way I play my bass it completely changes the sound coming out of the amp .. you don't really get more versatile than that IMO.

Well these things are totally subjective, hence the vast range of amps available to us to choose from - all with differing size, weight, volume and tone. How do you know what your bass sounds like? Without a completely transparent amplification stage, and completely transparent cab, that is impossible to know. These things will impart a variation on the pure unadulterated tone of the instrument.

Cheers

Geoff

Yes .. but I practice a lot with my bass unplugged, not as daft an idea as it sounds .. it really teaches you to hit the strings properly and cleanly. I can get a lot of different sounds out of my bass 'naturally' by adjusting my playing technique. Many amps I have owned in the past have frustrated me as the difference in technique doesn't come through. I find with the terror bass I am getting out exactly what I am putting in. Obviously the tone controls on the instrument and amp can colour it to an extent, however I find the range of tones I can get out of my bass through the amp with altering technique ..and sometimes playing with compression and tone settings is practically infinite. Those who complain that the amp has "one sound" clearly have one playing style and rely on tone controls / effects to alter their sound ... both of which are perfectly acceptable, just not my style.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1340450730' post='1704576']
I'm missing my 500 a little reading this. My Ashdown LB30 is doing a bang-up job in its place though!

Just as an aside the plate voltage on these is 175v (from the schematic) so they don't run as starved as some other amps/pedals do.
[/quote]

How do you rate the 500 against the lb30?