Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror

waynepunkdude

[quote name='bassjamm' timestamp='1340234631' post='1701669']
@ Dave Tipping - What made you go for the Phillips valves then?

I've just got myself a Wood & Tronics and it's quite hot, but also seems to 'mud' up the sound of the Terror a bit, so some different valves would be worth a shot. Haven't had a chance to really tweak the gain and all that though to accommodate the bass yet though mind.

Need to get myself a decent cab first though! Quite fancy an all orange rig, but don't want a 4x10 and reckon the 1x15 would be too wooly but I don't know!

These amps do kick ass though...I was running it through an SVT 610HLF last year using a Precision or Gibson Grabber, punk rock madness...it was insane!!!
[/quote]

I was simply following happy jacks "how to" like for like! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/134869-re-valving-an-orange-bass-terror/page__hl__re%20valve"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/134869-re-valving-an-orange-bass-terror/page__hl__re%20valve[/url] he went for [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]AT7 WA's as they only deliver around 2/3rds of the gain an AX7 (which the stock tubes are). The gain of valves can vary from valve to valve.. as much as 30% (apparently) It's quite possible some peoples negative experiences with these amps is down to a particularly gainy ax7. I read somebody talking about using an OB115 cab with their terror .. DO IT! ha ha .. that was the set up that sold me the amp in the first place, I just couldn't justify the extra £250 over the laney cab. The orange cab did sound better though. [/color][/font]

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1340304242' post='1702691'][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]I read somebody talking about using an OB115 cab with their terror .. DO IT! ha ha .. that was the set up that sold me the amp in the first place, I just couldn't justify the extra £250 over the laney cab. The orange cab did sound better though. [/color][/font]
[/quote]

Interesting stuff...how did it sound through the cab? I'm a bit apprehensive about going for a 1x15. I'm keen on 12" cones really, and like the compactness of 12" cabs, but the only Orange 12" cabs are the SP212's and I just don't agree with the whole concept. I tried out my Terror through one and it lacked warmth to me, very knarly and in your face though. I do like the sound of a full Orange rig though :P

Yeah that's something I'm shying away from too. Think they're about 30kg if memory serves me right. I'm tempted but for the same money (second hand cab that is) I quite fancy one of those TC Electronic BG250 combos...hmm!

*high five* on the knee front. I'm rocking a reconstructed ligament and some other gumph in one of mine!!! It's all that foot stomping us low enders do me thinks!

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1340398797' post='1704159']
Looks like Orange may have sorted the valve issue out.
I got mine yesterday, had a sneaky peek and it's got JJ's in it!
[/quote]
ha ha .. that's great news. The stock ones on mine were fine, but the amount of mixed reviews was making me think there could be quite a variation. How you finding it so far? Must be HUGE through your super twelve!

Don't knock Laney mate!
I used a DP150 for years!

Well my ears are still ringing from 1st rehearsal!
The mids are amazing!
But! I was missing the kick in the guts lows I got with my SVT3 pro.
It was just an unbox-plug and play job & I've got a gig at a big bike rally tomorrow so it'll be on the fly tweaking - mainly to annoy the guitarists!
They both laughed when I took it out the box - Orange Bass Toaster 500! LMFAO!

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1340416740' post='1704329']
Don't knock Laney mate!
I used a DP150 for years!

[/quote]

hah, don't get me wrong - my old laney has done me proud. However, it's time for a change.

To an inappropriately loud bastard of a rig!

I'm missing my 500 a little reading this. My Ashdown LB30 is doing a bang-up job in its place though!

Just as an aside the plate voltage on these is 175v (from the schematic) so they don't run as starved as some other amps/pedals do.

Well I A-B'd a few valves at home and found the JJ's were screamers! I had JJ's in my SVT and they were great but, in the Terror the gain was insane. In the end I used a couple of old Sovtek's that used to be in the SVT.
Used it in anger last night at a biker rally and honestly, it's the best sound I've had for years.
The bottom end was just there and the mids breakup sat over it all. The sound guy said it was great through the DI.
I'm chuffed now, and packing up and throwing my gear in the car is a breeze!
:)

[quote name='incubass' timestamp='1340295623' post='1702499']
People, I need some serious help :( I came home so I could finally play my OBT for more than 10 minutes straight, and after 30 seconds it just died. The light was gone and the amp shut himself down... When I try to put it on, I hear really tiny and periodic snaps, as if it's trying to come alive.

Has this happened to you before? Grrr, I don't believe this happened in less than 24hours, the amp hasn't been touched since yesterday...
[/quote]

How is this panning out - still problems?

Cheers

Geoff

Just reverting to the valve-swap thing for a moment, I've been quietly swopping other valves in and out and I've been astonished at the variability between different brands of AT7, even different batches from the same brand.

The problem with the [i][b]el cheapo[/b][/i] Chinese unbranded valves that were the original fitments was that the gain was ludicrously over the top. For the "right" sort of music that was fine, but playing in a 70's covers band I need a fair bit of versatility.

The valves I have now settled on are actually branded as Kodak (!) but I stumbled across a review of them which explained that they were some of the last valves to be made at the original Mullard factory, and are basically re-badged Mullards. That may all be complete bullshit (there's really no way of proving it one way or the other) but I've had a few original Mullards - mustard print and everything - and these certainly sound like they could be the same thing. All the standard cliches apply ... warm & creamy, blah blah blah.

When it comes to comparing different types/brands of valve, there's no shortage of websites out there. My first choice tends to be http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Tubes/

Jack - have you tried putting just a single AT7 in the V1 position on the right hand side leaving a 12AX7 on the left?

I think there‘s a chance this could achieve the same result of taming the gain but give you more overall volume. My theory being that if you also have a lower gain tube just before the power amp you may not be getting the max amount of power from it.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1340537211' post='1705689']
How is this panning out - still problems?

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

I'm sending it back to MusicStore this week, and probably will get another one... It's really frustrating :(

I had one that packed in totally and was deemed unrepairable by orange so I got a brand new one. It hasn't given me any trouble since I got the new one. Apparently it was part of a faulty batch of terror basses, mine just wouldn't turn on at all for some reason and it didn't even show any sign that it was going to fail, I had taken care of it and it had been kept on the dining room table and not been moved or dropped or treated badly in anyway. Just shows that things can go wrong with terror basses although it's unlikely it will happen very often and the one I have now is perfect.

Edited by Icunningham