Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror

waynepunkdude

Comparing the stock 12AX7 valves with AT7s, for me the latter make the OTB a much more useful amp. Significantly more clean headroom and adjustability, and a less hot DI (although I use a 20dB attentuator with it). I can get a mid-scooped tone (not for me though), a deep heavy bassy tone, a bright clangy tone and something in the middle which tends to suit me 99% of the time. The grit is still available, but I just need to turn the gain up past 1 oclock to get it, instead of about 9 oclock with the stock valves.

However, I'm not sure it can replace my ABM500 - infinitely more versatile tonally, just as loud, far better DI, tuner out, decent effects loop (the OTB is horrid, although I tend not to use loops), footswitch and so on. The obvious downside is that the ABM is more or less three times the weight of the OTB (14kg vs 5kg according to the specs). And the twin fans on my ABM are quieter than the single fan of the OTB, although its a moot point when gigging.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1337458673' post='1660506']
Exactly the same for me. I spent years trying to find the amp sound I really liked, tinkering with amps and pedals. Eventually I found it in the OTB, and it may be a one trick pony, but it's a trick I like!
[/quote]

You still digging on the TB with the aggies? Glad to hear it! Great comination IMO, plenty of grunt. The Tecamp is still very impressive by the way, great amp (although I might be moving it on being the fickle creature I am!).

Well I took the plunge and got one.....
over the past 2-3 months ive tried an ampeg BA115HP combo, ashdown mibass 550, Little mark LM250, Promethean combo and a Harley benton 500w promethean clone! then Finally as a last throw of the dice the Orange terror bass
I love it :-)
Its given me a lovely cut through, 'real bass sound' with out any of the wooly mush ive had to deal with from some other amps.
It sounds great with my active Sandberg and has lots and I mean lots of headroom to spare. I now feel I have a head to do my Ashdown LB212 justice.
so glad i went for it.
The EQ might not alter the inherant sound a great deal but if its right, its right, and the simplicity of this amp really appeals to me. Think of it as the vanilla of bass sounds but not your cheap, bargain supermarket vanilla but more a rich, creamy, luxurious english lakes/cornish cream vanilla.
try one you'll see what I mean :-)
the 4-8ohm switching means if I ever get my hands on that midget I've convinced myself I need it'll give its full 500w welly through it

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered my Orange Bass Terror 500 + SP212 pack! Can't wait to hear this beast!!!

I think it will definitely give me something else in terms of sound and portability. I use a Mesa M-Pulse 600 through a Powerhouse 6x10 or through a Gallien Krueger SBX 4x10. I'm really into vintage tones, from Rock to Soul/Funk, and I hope this little rig will suit my needs. Being from Portugal it's actually difficult to try the exact gear you want before buying it... It'll take a week or so to arrive, though :(

Also, do you think the Bass Terror will be nicely matched with the GK-SBX410, in relatively bigger concerts?

I think, providing you like the sound of the OTB, you should be fine, as it seems (or at least did when I had one) that no matter what cab it goes through, the main sound/character from the amp comes through the most, rather than the character of the cab.

Ahhh I still really want one of these! Gotta wait and see what my rig will sound like once I've got my S12 & my pedal board is sorted before I can even think about it though. Doubt I'll need one but it'd be nice to have an amp thats so light... vs my 24Kg all valve one :P still, even that beats an SVT hands down!

Depends why you're doing it.

If your beloved SVT3pro is wrecking your back and you want to move to an OTB to avoid a slipped disk, then WIN.

If you hope that an OTB will sound even better than your beloved SVT3pro, then I'd advise [i][b]try before you buy[/b][/i].

The OTB will definitely be lighter than the Ampeg. It won't necessarily sound better to your ears.

Cheers Happy Jack.
Hmmm, I was hoping for a 'different' sound. I'm trying one this week.
The weight is an issue, having a rack head that's as heavy as a cab is a bit daft for me.
All the talk surrounding the OTB is what put me on that path. I like grindy mids and deep bottom end and the chat pointed to the orange, seemed a good option.

Does anyone use the OBT for Funk/Soul/R&B stuff? The reviews of this amp are always concerning rock/metal, but I wonder how it handles that styles of music. I'm hoping it will blow my mind with an old Precision with the right flats on it!

Funk, R&B, I don't play much of either so I can't comment.

Soul? Oh yes. Maybe roll the Gain down towards 9 and boost the Master Volume to compensate, but you can get a lovely rich tone for Soul / Stax / Motown from an OTB.

Flats help a lot, of course.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1339867090' post='1695665']
Funk, R&B, I don't play much of either so I can't comment.

Soul? Oh yes. Maybe roll the Gain down towards 9 and boost the Master Volume to compensate, but you can get a lovely rich tone for Soul / Stax / Motown from an OTB.

Flats help a lot, of course.
[/quote]

Yep, IMO it can give lovely clean tones as well as the dirt.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1339895696' post='1696090']
Interesting read. My gas is turning orange.
One question: other than price, are there differences between the UK made and China made ones?
[/quote]

Might be thinking of the Ashdown Little Bastard, that had UK and China made models. If you want a UK made Bass Terror styley, have to wait for the Matamp one to be done (its all SS and probably cleaner though).

[quote name='incubass' timestamp='1339866753' post='1695659']
Does anyone use the OBT for Funk/Soul/R&B stuff? The reviews of this amp are always concerning rock/metal, but I wonder how it handles that styles of music. I'm hoping it will blow my mind with an old Precision with the right flats on it!
[/quote]
Ha ha, Just moved from a rock band into a funk / soul band and chucked some flats on my P. The amp sounds fantastic, it is such a pure tone that comes out, it's really deep but never muddy (unless you crank the gain) having said that the highs sing out as well .. I played with an old ampeg v4b for years and this is the only amp which has come close. I've just ordered [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310219485090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_951"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310219485090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_951[/url] to stick in as once we're gigging I'm hoping that'l give me a little more clean headroom. That said the stock valves only get a little gritty around 9 on the gain .. with that I never got the volume above 12 o'clock and that was without usually being di'd and in a LOUD rock band!
What cab are you planning on using with the head?

Tested one of these in Dawsons a few weeks ago, and i was mightily impressed. Using a Squier VM Jazz and the SP410 cab. I can now see why these things are so highly rated, and later this year i'll likely get one myself. Like others have said, OTB + Super12 would be one MONSTROUS rig.

Liam

[quote name='incubass' timestamp='1339866753' post='1695659']
[/quote]

It's perfect for that sound, you won't be disappointed.

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1339935349' post='1696411']
Ha ha, Just moved from a rock band into a funk / soul band and chucked some flats on my P. The amp sounds fantastic, it is such a pure tone that comes out, it's really deep but never muddy (unless you crank the gain) having said that the highs sing out as well .. I played with an old ampeg v4b for years and this is the only amp which has come close. I've just ordered [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310219485090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_500wt_951"]http://www.ebay.co.u...49#ht_500wt_951[/url] to stick in as once we're gigging I'm hoping that'l give me a little more clean headroom. That said the stock valves only get a little gritty around 9 on the gain .. with that I never got the volume above 12 o'clock and that was without usually being di'd and in a LOUD rock band!
What cab are you planning on using with the head?
[/quote]

I bought a SP212 along with the OBT. Besides that one, I've got a Gallien Krueger SBX410 or a Mesa Powerhouse 6x10, if I need more power ;-)

Thanks, guys!

It's an OTB alright. In the pic below you can see the price difference. This site mentions China ("Kina"), whilst another site specifies the expensive one is UK-built.

It may also be a mistake they made. I'll call the shops, but wanted to check with BC first.

Edited by BassTractor