Why become a member? ×

Orange Bass Terror

waynepunkdude

[quote name='burno70' post='1330831' date='Aug 7 2011, 12:11 PM']I want one - never had a tube amp before and would love to give one of these a go. In between cabs at the mo. Once thats sorted I might pull the plug. I really like the demo's I've seen of it. Also like the idea of swapping the valves.[/quote]

Same here

I've listened to most of the clips on youtube of these and i have small GAS for one!

No one in the videos showed the "strength" of the Mid control only the bass and treble so i'd really have to hear that before i'm sold!

This and the Hartke LH500, loud and well priced Valve pre-amped amps! Where were they a couple years ago when i had the money!

From what I remember of my OTB, the mid didn`t add that scratchy nasally sound that you can get with some amps, just a bit more warmth and roundness to the sound. Making you sound like JJ Burnell, it would not - in the words of Yoda!

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1331126' date='Aug 7 2011, 05:52 PM']How about the comments of it only having one sound?

I love the Orange sound, personally, just being devils advocate (dont bite me!).[/quote]
I'm not as bold as Wayne to suggest it's the best amp ever [u]for everyone[/u] [b]but[/b] for me it is the ultimate amp. If the one sound it does happens to be the sound that you were after, than it most certainly will blow your mind. :)

Edited by BurritoBass

I love everything about this amp apart from how it plays with active basses. With mine, I get a lot of honk and even more boom from it. When I use my passive bass though, I get a nice big round sound that I was expecting from this amp.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1331123' date='Aug 7 2011, 05:50 PM']From what I remember of my OTB, the mid didn`t add that scratchy nasally sound that you can get with some amps, just a bit more warmth and roundness to the sound. Making you sound like JJ Burnell, it would not - in the words of Yoda![/quote]

Still going to have to hear it to make a call BUT sounds promising :)

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1331123' date='Aug 7 2011, 05:50 PM']From what I remember of my OTB, the mid didn`t add that scratchy nasally sound that you can get with some amps, just a bit more warmth and roundness to the sound. Making you sound like JJ Burnell, it would not - in the words of Yoda![/quote]

The BGM review says that optimally is bass and treble practically off and mid all the way on.
I'm very tempted to buy another for sakes worth, even more so now knowing it has 519watts in 4ohm mode and just shy of 500 in 8 ohm. I really want to strip one down just to the power amp section to have a really good solid 500w power amp for use with a preamp pedal.
I'm hoping we get wind of the 1000w versions true wattage but after seeing the Markbass Momark 800w amp frame barely succeeding 700w I'm not being to optimistic about it.

For me I would have kept the OTB if it had a stronger EQ. Not more knobs but the sweeps to be more dramatic and steeper. Each control interferes with it's surrounding frequencies too much for me. Overall still a fantastic amp.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1331454' date='Aug 7 2011, 10:06 PM']Weirdly I think I prefer it to my SVT[/quote]

Haha! Crazy isnt it.

If you get chance, unless you have already, try the AD200b and crank the gain. Literally stunning tubey grit...like nothing Ive ever heard.

The OBT gets very close in a tiny, loud, and great value package.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1331454' date='Aug 7 2011, 10:06 PM']Weirdly I think I prefer it to my SVT[/quote]
I sold my Ampeg SVT Pro4 shortly after getting the OTB as it sounded similar if not better, although i think the EQ capability was better on the SVT. I'm using the OTB with my Barefaced Dubster cab and its the best (an lightest) set up i've had for heavy dub reggae sounds and its really doing the phat business...love it to bits but like some say about the Stingray bass sound its a bit of a one trick pony in the amp world - but a bloody great trick. :)

I am in love with my Terror (especially through the still-amazing-to-me Midget) but there have been occasions - okay, venues - where I could use a weeny bit more EQ control.

The current solution is to set the Terror to preferred settings (bass 4, mid 7, treble 5) but also to use a Headway preamp (which I already had) to fine-tune out some lower mids and add a hint of upper mids:

Very pleased with the results so far!

[quote name='deej' post='1331223' date='Aug 7 2011, 06:53 PM']I love everything about this amp apart from how it plays with active basses. With mine, I get a lot of honk and even more boom from it. When I use my passive bass though, I get a nice big round sound that I was expecting from this amp.[/quote]

Anyone else experience this issue with active basses? I have a hot 18v active bass and this could be a deal breaker for me.

[quote name='burno70' post='1331755' date='Aug 8 2011, 10:05 AM']Anyone else experience this issue with active basses? I have a hot 18v active bass and this could be a deal breaker for me.[/quote]
I use my active through it no problems but if it is running too hot you could always change the valves

[quote name='Pow_22' post='1331664' date='Aug 8 2011, 07:59 AM']Would have one after trying one. However, im far too sold on valve amps now to consider going back to solid state/hybrid amps[/quote]

I like valve amps (I still have a Peacemaker 20 for my guitar).

The Orange does seem to nail that certain sound though!

I'm running the 1000W OBT through my Ashdown Neo 810 and it's the nuts. I searched for about a year in search of the right sound for 'me'. I tried countless heads and to be fair without spending a couple of grand you can't beat the OBT.

I ended up with the 1000W as I like to have more clean headroom at the low end, the 500W was still nice but I just wanted to make sure I could have it. The two 12AX7s respond nicely and the tone doesn't seem to be lost in the power stage. You can create a real nice warm yet gutsy tone when you wind up the volume and keep the gain down and this seems to be where the character comes in. What I like about it is that the EQ cuts are REAL cuts not just +/-15db and the boosts are subtle and don't artificially enhance a nice bass tone which is tempting when you have it. If you like to shape your tone with your fingers then buy this amp as it responds well and it's about as simple as you can get... VOL/TRE/MID/BAS/GAIN ... what more do you need??

I have to agree though it doesn't work amazingly with actives, although it doesn't seem to cope badly either. This amp reacts great for passive basses and is where it really shines. Then again I don't really like active tones, I'd rather hear all the natural ones from a passive rather than slightly modelled ones and feel what I'm playing more but thats just me.

Certainly consider paying the extra depending on your requirements, I'm glad I did.

• 6 months later...