Why become a member? ×

Crackling Bass Amp

Hobbayne

I used a Warwick Sweet 15.2 combo last night for the first time, I bought it used from a dealer on ebay a few weeks ago, but apart from a quick test in my living room, this is the first time it was gigged.

I noticed quiet a loud crackle from it which was also heard by the other band members.
It was only present when the bass was playing, as soon as I stopped then the crackle stopped.
I did try another lead but it didnt help.
This was an intermittant fault it didnt happen all the time.
Any ideas what it could be??

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1330862' date='Aug 7 2011, 12:41 PM']Probably dry solder joints. A simple job for a repair man, but might take a while to find the joints in need of repair, which could add to the cost.[/quote]
Agreed, speaker cones moving and the general "batter" that a bass amp does causes the dry joint to kind of "agitate" hence the rotten noise.
unfortunaley as said by AH its easy for an engineer to fix, its just a problem to find the fault. I speak from bitter experience :)

[quote name='arthurhenry' post='1330862' date='Aug 7 2011, 12:41 PM']Probably dry solder joints. A simple job for a repair man, but might take a while to find the joints in need of repair, which could add to the cost.[/quote]

+1, take it for a checkup and a resoldering, shouldn't be massively expensive if you take it to the right store.

Intermittant faults can be a real nightmare to fix and it's usually a case of working out what isn't causing the problem.

When you get the crackling, does playing with the rotary controls get rid of it?
If 'yes' then give the pots a liberal dose of switch cleaner.

Does the crackling appear if you gently 'bounce' the amp on the floor?
If 'yes' then you'll be looking for a loose connection or dry joint.

You could also try looking at the little wires running from the speaker connection plate to the cone and make sure they aren't resting against the cone itself.