Why become a member? ×

Best cab.......

Beedster

Hi Folks, some advice please. What is the best cab for the classic PBass sound? I'm playing a '73 Precision with flats through a TE GP7SM 250 (I don't need huge amounts of power as I'm only ever going to be playing small Motowny/Bluesy gigs). I'm happy with the amp at present as I think if I get the right cab it's gona work for me. That's because I've played it through a Marshall 115, which produced a lovely sweet tone but lacked real power, and an H&K 410, which seemed to have the power but lacked the sweetness.
Obviously I haven't done much experimenting yet but could do with some direction before I do so. Any ideas?
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='153598' date='Mar 8 2008, 02:09 PM']Ampeg B15 is the best for that motown vibe.[/quote]
+1

That'd be a really classic combination; all the warmth of the Ampeg through a good 15" speaker..

Just thinking this through though Chris, are you sure that the Trace is the right amp for the sound you're after? I used to have a GP7 410 combo years ago and my memory of TE's from then is that they have a pretty modern sound and the pre-shape always seemed to be great for slap and other 80's/90's bass tones but not necessarily vintage tones... Maybe it's a question of getting the right amp/cab combination??

Hope that doesn't throw you off track...

Hi guys
Many thanks. The good Doctor has what seems the obvious answer but, when I tried it, wasn't right. Nik, I love the tone of the TE through the Marshall - it's a much sweeter tone than several orther amps I've tried through the same cab. If it's not the best however, what would you suggest amp-wise? I definitely feel a 115 is the way to go so the Ampeg and Peavey appeal, but in choosing a 15 I'm worried I'm sticking with tradition as opposed to phsyics in doing so. Having said that, what about 18s? Honmer, no idea what the Shroeder weighs but the H&K takes tewo guys to get it down the stairs! We didn't bother trying to get it back up so it lives by the front door now :)
Bob, are MB that good.....?
Chris

There's a Peavey Black Widow 15' cab with a Peavey PRO 500 head on eBay with a BIN of £385 (starting bid of £285) The PRO 500 head with it's valve pre is suppost to be very godd. Bass Player mag included it in its products of the year a couple of years ago. Bass Guitar gave it a very favourable review too
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBTOX:IT&item=270217611579&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...cTODAY.m238.lVI[/url]

P

[quote name='steve-soar' post='153647' date='Mar 8 2008, 04:03 PM']I think a Peavey Black Widow 1x15" would sound the dogs. I had one in my Combo 300, which had 210w going into it and it was really load, punchy and smooth. I think you could get one for quite a good price on the bay or maybe on here?
Cheers Steve.[/quote]

[quote name='Beedster' post='154107' date='Mar 9 2008, 07:13 PM']Bob, are MB that good.....?[/quote]

Sad to say, Yep. I adore (and so does my so pernickerty guitarist) the tone..... its just right!

('specially for blues!)

Dear I know, but I'll cahllnge you to find anyone that says they're not ace. There'll be a few that slag 'em off for being expensive, but tonally I love 'em.

Hi Chris,

These days, when there's so much choice, I'd say it's really difficult to advise another person what amp is best for them.. Or even, what amp+cab is best for them!

For example, I had a Hartke HA3500 a year ago and really disliked it, finding it too sterile.. maybe because my personal taste is for something warmer in tonal terms.. So now I have a GK 700 and I find it so much warmer sounding to my ears than the Hartke. Yet the Hartke had a valve preamp! How does that work out??

Only thing I could suggest is to try as many different bass+amp+cab combinations as you can..Are you coming to the Bash later this month as there's bound to be lots of gear there you could try with your bass?

Nik

If I could suggest another option, you could also try a Mark Bass Jeff Berlin combo, with its built in 15" speaker. I got one recently and am very, very happy with it. Would fit the bill perfectly for the Mowtown / Bluesy vibe... IMHO of course (try before you buy etc.). Some don't like the compressed tone, (I think Kiwi compared it to a 'rubber band' sound :) ) but I really like it :huh: ;)

I recently bought an Aguilar GS115 - to go with my GS112- at a GREAT price-as they've apparently been discontinued....so price was LOW!!!! Lucky me. IMO it seems to be a lovely sounding 15" cab. Well made, pop-out casters, DEEP DEEP sound. & has a adjustable tweeter-as does the GS112- which sounds good on or off! Has a real old school sound w/ horn off! I plan to use it w/ my EV 1x15" also!

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='154864' date='Mar 10 2008, 08:20 PM']If I could suggest another option, you could also try a Mark Bass Jeff Berlin combo, with its built in 15" speaker. I got one recently and am very, very happy with it. Would fit the bill perfectly for the Mowtown / Bluesy vibe... IMHO of course (try before you buy etc.). Some don't like the compressed tone, (I think Kiwi compared it to a 'rubber band' sound :) ) but I really like it :huh: ;)[/quote]

I must admit, I like the idea of a combo. Not very rock 'n' roll but bloody easy to set up. The reviews of this are pretty impressive - does anyone else have any views/experience?
Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='155605' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:17 PM']I must admit, I like the idea of a combo. Not very rock 'n' roll but bloody easy to set up. The reviews of this are pretty impressive - does anyone else have any views/experience?
Chris[/quote]

If you were looking for views on the MB Jeff Berlin combo you could p.m. Simon1964, as he bought one a few months before I took the plunge. I'm not selling but if you want to try it out (at non-neighbour annoying levels) and are around Guildford any time just give me a shout.

Cheers

Stu

Hi Chris,

I have an SWR Triad as one of my cabs and it works brilliantly with my Trace head and Lakland Bob Glaub Pr*cision. The Triad is a 1x15, 1x10 and attenuable horn cab, 4 ohm and about erm... no idea of its rating actually but 475watts pops into my head for some reason. There or thereabouts.

Heavy though, about 75 to 80lbs, but still an utterly remarkable cab for earthy P bassisms, especially with a Trace head.
HTH

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='159305' date='Mar 17 2008, 11:30 PM']If you were looking for views on the MB Jeff Berlin combo you could p.m. Simon1964, as he bought one a few months before I took the plunge. I'm not selling but if you want to try it out (at non-neighbour annoying levels) and are around Guildford any time just give me a shout.

Cheers

Stu[/quote]

The MB Jeff Berlin is a fantastic bit of kit. As Stu has said, it suits the motown / blues sound perfectly. My Jap Precision sounds amazing through it. On its own, its great but add a 2 x 10 cab, and you really do have a very flexible set up.