Why become a member? ×

Music to any bass players ears!

gary mac

There I was flopped out on the settee last night watching the box, when the good wife suddenly piped up from the other settee, "How do you fancy a Jazz Bass for your birthday?"

:) :huh: ;)

All in a quandry now, but the sort of quandry to enjoy for a few days.

Don't know whether to go for a fretted or fretless, jap, mexican, old or new. Guess I had better find out what the budget is first.

Any thoughts on which to avoid? That might help to narrow it down a bit.

Cheers, all the best Gary.

I have a 2004 MIA S-1 Jazz. It's lovely and I wouldn't be without it.
Conversely, I own a (modded) Squier 70's VMJ and that's excellent, too.
I've played good and bad MIM Jazzes. Find a good 'un, and they're fine.
I've not tried CIJ, but people seem to think highly of them.
All the Highway 1 models I've tried (both P and J) give the MIAs a run for their money.

Do be aware that the American standard has changed [i]again[/i], with the addition of newer colours, the loss of S-1 switching (a matter of opinion), and the new "High Mass Vintage" Bridge design.

As ever...
Try before you buy, and if you find a winner, run off with it before someone else does!

Here's my two;

MIA

VMJ with a BadAssII. After the photo, it gained black controls and DR Miller FatBeam Strings

If that happened to me I would have to pinch myself to make sure I hadn't fallen asleep and started dreaming.

I love my MIA Deluxe but it's left me wanting a P bass to keep it company.

Judging by the amount of GAS we all have on here only one more bass just isn't enough :)

I have just bought a CIJ Marcus Miller signature. I bought mine from a shop so perhaps I payed a little more. I have seen some online about £650 - £700. It is simply a wonderful bass. I have a 97 US Jazz that is great b ut this has got something about. It's also my first maple neck which is a pleasure and I think I'm right that the neck profile is the C shape that makes it slimmer than the standard jazz. Oh yes it sounds great as well. I would definately check one out if funds allow.

As for Lfalex, I have a 2004 USA S1 jazz. Picked up on eBay with SKB hard case for under £400 last year, became my main gigging bass while the band were still together, no complaints at all. The S1 switch started sticking a bit recently from lack of use but a quick spray with oil seems to have sorted it.

[quote name='gary mac' post='153517' date='Mar 8 2008, 11:07 AM']Don't know whether to go for a fretted or fretless, jap, mexican, old or new. Guess I had better find out what the budget is first.

Any thoughts on which to avoid? That might help to narrow it down a bit.

Cheers, all the best Gary.[/quote]Buy her a big bunch of flowers, you lucky lucky man. :)

What's your current bass arsenal like? Would a fretted or fretless be of more use?

Thanks chaps.

I've currently got four fretted basses, so maybe a fretless would make sense. Just not sure if I'm up for the challenge of learning to play one at the moment.

Tried out another Squier modified Jazz yesterday in a shop in Harlow. It was better than the one I tried a few weeks back, but still didn't really do it for me. I just hate the protruding saddle screws, they are quite sharp. Is that one of the reasons people fit the badass bridges, or is that purely for sonic improvement?

Think the Marcus Miller one is not within budget, but like the look of it.
The USA S1 would be great if I could find one at the right price.

Will keep looking.

Thanks again.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='153533' date='Mar 8 2008, 11:29 AM']I have a 2004 MIA S-1 Jazz. It's lovely and I wouldn't be without it.
Conversely, I own a (modded) Squier 70's VMJ and that's excellent, too.
I've played good and bad MIM Jazzes. Find a good 'un, and they're fine.
I've not tried CIJ, but people seem to think highly of them.
All the Highway 1 models I've tried (both P and J) give the MIAs a run for their money.

Do be aware that the American standard has changed [i]again[/i], with the addition of newer colours, the loss of S-1 switching (a matter of opinion), and the new "High Mass Vintage" Bridge design.

As ever...
Try before you buy, and if you find a winner, run off with it before someone else does!

Here's my two;

MIA

VMJ with a BadAssII. After the photo, it gained black controls and DR Miller FatBeam Strings[/quote]

I've got this exact one with the natural finish. I play nothing else now it's knocks spots of everything else I have.

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

The Geddy Lee signature is a nice bass & finished beautifully, but it's neck is sooo thin that it pitch shifts when you lean backwards or forwards while playing, LOL. Just traded mine the other week at Sound Control for a new S1 MIA Jazz.

BTW, Sound Control have bought up the last batch of MIA S1 models & they're selling them at £699 instead of the usual £900+

[quote name='elom' post='155535' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:34 PM']This thread has inspired me to go and ask my missus if she'd like to spend her redundancy money on buying me a nice Mark Bass Combo. I'll let you know how it goes...[/quote]

looks like I'm not getting a Mark Bass then, or anything else for a while...

[attachment=6357:musical_...ents_006.jpg][attachment=6357:musical_...ents_006.jpg]My request for a Mark Bass was also turned down. But she is right really. I tried to justify it with the bad back argument, but as was pointed out to me, I'm only averaging a few gigs a year. But I do play a bass or two every day.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='155481' date='Mar 11 2008, 07:07 PM']The Geddy Lee signature is a nice bass & finished beautifully, but it's neck is sooo thin that it pitch shifts when you lean backwards or forwards while playing, LOL. Just traded mine the other week at Sound Control for a new S1 MIA Jazz.

BTW, Sound Control have bought up the last batch of MIA S1 models & they're selling them at £699 instead of the usual £900+[/quote]

Which Soundcontrol did you sell it to? Have you seen it up for sale there?

• 3 months later...

[quote name='zapp' post='155503' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:43 PM']Your Wife has offered you a Jazz Bass for your Birthday and you already have four!!!!!!!!!?

Two things. Firstly she needs to speak to my Wife.

Secondly. Check the car for dings!! :)[/quote]
^^ What he said! :huh:

[quote name='zapp' post='155503' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:43 PM']Your Wife has offered you a Jazz Bass for your Birthday and you already have four!!!!!!!!!?

Two things. Firstly she needs to speak to my Wife.

Secondly. Check the car for dings!! :huh:[/quote]

:huh:

you lucky, lucky bastard!!!

my missus asked what i wanted for fathers day, i said something for me bass. so she got me a steak :) (though it was a very nice steak)

Why don't you break the mould if you already have 4 x Fenders already?

Could "ease" yourself slowly into something slightly different like a LakLand Joe Osborne?

The Skyline basses are beautifully finished and you might get away with the price on account of how much cheaper it is than an American one?

you're a lucky fellow.
For all you less fortunate gentleman you could adopt my approach and buy the basses amps etc for your wife and when shy smiles wryly and says, "well it's nice but I didn't really need it"
you can say,
"it's alright love I will have it"
Got her a gift and saved her the embarrasment of taking it back.
So far I've bought my wife:

a '78 jazz
an '07 MK Alembic signature deluxe
an 1880 swell back German Blockless wonder
a 1900 german flat back (for her orchestral studies)
an SWR Redhead
A polytone
An Alembic F1-X Pre amp

I have plans to sell her double basses and buy her one much more expensive one.
She'll be so excited.