Why become a member? ×

Is anybody truly happy?

nottswarwick

In thinking about a response to this thread, I realised I had forgotten an amp which I had.

Amp wise, I've just got a new one, but read on.
From around 1986 or so to around 1996 I had a Trace Elliot AH250 and either a 1048 or a 1518. Loved the amp head and was happy with either cab. Then in 1995, I decided I was giving it up for a bit and did so. My replacement in the band inherited my gear and I got some kit off him.
Fast forward to 2001 and I sort of got back into it again. Had various Ashdowns, a Trace Commando ( I think I need to add that to the list) and an ebay special Peavey TNT which I paid £40 and ultimately had for about 6 years.

Sold it last week for £80 and promptly put the cash into another Trace head which just arrived this morning.

Been fiddling with it this morning and as soon as I turned it on, there it was. The sound. Straight away, no messing.

So, in response to the question. Yes, I'm happy.
But only because I eventually returned to the place that I never should have left in the first place.

Had my Berg IP stack for the last 3 years - extremely happy with it.

Sometimes I try out other gear just out of interest, and every so often I get the hankering for something else just for the sake of a change! But it's such a fantastic rig that just works without any extra effort I have no need or real desire to get anything else.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1319092944' post='1409688']
I naively realised a while ago that the sound in my head only exists as recordings made in top-end US studios during the 1970s.
[/quote]

Good observation. I think alot of "classic" bass and guitar sounds owe at least as much to the studio engineering involved as they do to what ever instrument/amp/cab/effects were used.

Edited by bassman7755

I'm really happy with my current set up but then I'm not someone who rushes into change for change sake, generally replacing/aquiring equipment as needed rather than just wanted. Before I think about replacing/upgrading I'd need to be gigging a lot more often than I currently do. I had my previous set up for 16 years, only upgrading about six months ago (partly as a response to discovering this site!). For me at least, I know that any head-turning GAS lust that inevitably hits every once in a while would be better countered by putting the same or more effort into improving my technique and theory.

[quote name='Booooooom' timestamp='1319121526' post='1410222']
I know that any head-turning GAS lust that inevitably hits every once in a while would be better countered by putting the same or more effort into improving my technique and theory.
[/quote]

Hear hear! Remember most of your sound comes from your fingers!

hi iv got ampeg stack ashdown peavey and markbass and the best sound i get after trying all these is with a markbass 2x10 combo and sit a markbass 1x15 bass cab under it the 1x15 is the bigger markbass cab i think they call it the 151hf. Hope this helps good luck with whatever you buy.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1319110030' post='1409958']
In thinking about a response to this thread, I realised I had forgotten an amp which I had.

Amp wise, I've just got a new one, but read on.
From around 1986 or so to around 1996 I had a Trace Elliot AH250 and either a 1048 or a 1518. Loved the amp head and was happy with either cab. Then in 1995, I decided I was giving it up for a bit and did so. My replacement in the band inherited my gear and I got some kit off him.
Fast forward to 2001 and I sort of got back into it again. Had various Ashdowns, a Trace Commando ( I think I need to add that to the list) and an ebay special Peavey TNT which I paid £40 and ultimately had for about 6 years.

Sold it last week for £80 and promptly put the cash into another Trace head which just arrived this morning.

Been fiddling with it this morning and as soon as I turned it on, there it was. The sound. Straight away, no messing.

So, in response to the question. Yes, I'm happy.
But only because I eventually returned to the place that I never should have left in the first place.
[/quote]

I know where you're coming from regarding the Trace stuff. It has a certain sound which is desirable. Did you get a vintage Trace or one of the newer ones to replace your original AH250?

I've been happy with my rehearsal rig for quite a long time now; a Hartke HA series head and an Ashdown ABM 410t cab. Absolutely cracking rig, but not so expensive, desirable or easily nickable that I worry unduly about leaving it in storage at our rehearsal studios. The head used to be the HA2000 but got upgraded to the HA5500 (which is exactly the same, just bigger bunches), whilst the cab is nothing to set the world alight, but I've played it in for so many hours that it's at that 'old friend' stage now, and with the 5500 is capable of effortlessly being quite unreasonably loud. I'd be completely happy to use it live if I had to, but it's just so bulky and heavy compared to other stuff I've bought since that I'm happier to leave it where it is! :)

i was completly happy with the sound of my previous rig just not the weight (swr Workingpro 700, Goliath 3 and big ben)

after dozens of changes i think i may be there now (rh750/barefaced s12t), although im gonna give it another 6 months or so before i commit to that statement.

Edited by winterfire666

My little setup does everything that I want it to. Sounds great with a bit of warm tubeyness for the covers and a drivey sound for the originals. Its a light, very loud, portable package (I hardly ever use the Ashdown 210)

Wouldn't change it unless my bands changed (although I might get rid of the Ashdown). Very happy with it.

Bass-wise I love my Schecter to bits, have done from the moment I picked it up in the shop.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1319107709' post='1409925']
"Is anyone truly happy?" Of course not. It's the human condition to be perpetually unsatisfied with your current situation, it's what is supposed to drive you on to bigger and better things. Of course these days now that our lives are so comfortable and there really isn't much else to strive for in our lives, we end up becoming very depressed because we can't understand why we don't have this ficticious feeling of "happy" that everyone else around us seems to have. It's why countries that have suddenly become economically prosperous like china also have some of the fastest growing suicide rates in the entire world.
[/quote]
so simply put yet so depressing. My dog is chinese and lately my wife and I had a windfall so we bought him a new kennel and a watering bowl and a small 19" tv for his new abode. we changed his food type from budget sainsburys own brand food to some really top line chum. However I noticed that the more we bought him the more miserable he got, all he wanted to do was lie in his kennel watching re-runs of "the littlest hobo". Your post explains a lot because yesterday our washing line went missing and my wife told me she found it fashioned to the rafters of Rovers new den. At first I thought perhaps he was making some sort of hammiock or maybe a swing, but your post has shed new light on the situation. Thank you. I think I need to have a chat with my dog.
Anyway this whole amp thing is a scam we all wanna sound like somebody else, even when we have the same gear as the next guy we still think his is better, we imagine he has some hidden pedal we dont know about or his amp is the -10 and we only have the -9, I stopped worrying about these things a long time ago and now Im happy because I stopped givin a [email="cr@p"]cr@p[/email]. The amount of money I wasted over the years on rigs and amps and effects boards that I end up selling for half what I paid for them to then go out and buy what is supposed to be the holy grail of sound only to be told by my so called mates that the last sound was more "crunchy" or "pumpy" or "had more oomph" so in the end I gave up. And only then was I truly happy. Im not sure if there is a lesson here or does it only serve to prove what a cantankerous old fart Ive become.

In response to the boy there, I think that amps are amps, for the most part. You learn to become simpatico with what you use, and after a time your voice comes out of it. At a point it becomes a refined relationship between your hands, your ears and your gear. To keep running off to the next piece of greener grass and buying a 'new' amp only cheats you of time invested in what you've been learning to use.

I have 3 amps- two are necessary in case one farts... but they're all [u]different[/u]. That's a result of my chasing too many rabbits! The rabbit that always escapes is the one called Satisfaction. But I've had my Trace 250SMX a few years now, and will remain.

Am I Happy with my Rig?

Damn Straight. Been round the block with Amps, MarkBass to Ea to GK to TC .... and back to MarkBass.
The EAD Foundation 212 was the misiing link. Stunning Cab and i've stopped looking.
A MarkBass SA450, (with a Little Mark II as back-up), and EAD Foundation 212 and a pair of Zoot Cabs as back-up.
The GAS Account has now hit stupid levels as the 2xACG's are taking care of the Bass end.

2x 210's show the limitations of 2x112's, imo.

One I just turn up, the other I have to EQ. I'll probably swap out the 2x112 for others with more of a voice as too much bass tends to wash out all the characrter that I am looking for,.

I have two excellent amps and don't susbscribe to the 'an amp is an amp' thinking.
Both are extremely capable but one can need tweaking and time, the other one is near on impossible for me to get a bad sound.

I'm happy with mine. I play in a trio of violin, bass, and keyboards, so huge volume usually isn't needed (or wanted). Hartke 250-watt head and Schroeder 12-inch cab. Another Schroeder cab, maybe a ten-incher, would make my day, but as things are, I'm quite satisfied.

[quote name='Count Bassie' timestamp='1319408805' post='1413888']
I feel pretty old after looking back, sometimes! I've just handed off some very good, to be rewarded with a good bit less, too many times. Wasn't necessary mostly, and that's the part that smarts... so dumb, for so long... But I figure all that smart has to go somewhere...
[/quote]

...and that's not to imply it went back to me at all! Just sayin'.

Asking this question here is like asking people in a cosmetic surgeon's waiting room if they're ever happy with their looks! :)

Cat 1: Seriously though, I've always tended to hung around the amp forums because I've been interested in it and am constantly hunting to see if things can be done better - I'm sure I'm not the only one. Those of us that fit in that category aren't necessarily unhappy (I've rarely been dissatisfied with my sound on gigs or recordings) but we are searching to see if improvement is possible.

Cat 2: There's also the category of those who like to help out those who need help on the amplification front - but I'd say that many of those cross over with the preceding category.

Cat 3: There are those who are here because they were once dissatisfied with their tone but they like the discussion so they've continued to hang around now they've found a solution.

Cat 4: Then there's those who are in here because they want advice of getting better gear. They're clearly not currently happy.

Cat 5: Then there's those who are really actively hunting for satisfaction through changing their amplification frequently. I'd suggest that they rarely find happiness (of the amplification kind) because they don't hold onto their gear for long enough to get inside it. Some do but they're the lucky ones!

Cat 6: They're happy with their tone so don't come on here, they're sorted!

Cat 7: They're unhappy with their tone but don't know about this place!

As someone who's designing, manufacturing and selling gear I'm very thankful that a few of our existing customers are the ever curious Cat.1 variety, the helpful Cat.2 variety and the sociable Cat.3 variety, because most of them are now Cat.6. :) And I'm always particularly glad when a purchase turns someone from a Cat. 5 to a Cat.6 - breaking the cycle! :)