Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass vs Ashdown ABM 500

nottswarwick

I refer you to my previous: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=146957&hl=terror"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...7&hl=terror[/url]

The Terror is louder and punchier in my experience. The ABM is more flexible, but I never used the flexibility myself. I ran the ABM with preamp all the way over to valve, EQ off, pre-shape on and gain to taste. The Terror set flat is VERY close (considering the passive EQ curve with all the controls straight up). Did I mention that it's LOUD!!!

Edited by Bigwan

i have to say that I generally concur with Bigwan here.
The reason I went for the Terror is because, after borrowing one for a few gigs, I found its 'flat' sound very similar (not exactly the same) to the Ashdown with the settings I used....again, more valve than not, mostly flat with a touch of mid. The Ashdowns generally tone is a little rounder and a bit more 'complex' sounding, but then in the Mix you don't really notice.
The Orange is famously weak in the EQ section, but then the Flat sound is great to my ears, so I don't care.
It is VERY loud for what it is, but having said that, the hi-gain stock tubes mean that it can run into light overdrive fairly easily (no bad thing if you like a bit of grind), but it renders the DI out useless. I, along with many others here, changed the tubes for slightly lower gain ones to give more useable clean volume.....for me though, it didn't really fix the rediculously high output on the DI. I'm not fussed about the DI issue as I'll generally use a Sansamp if I'm DI'ing.

All in all, they compliment each other really well I think, if you're doing a small gig and don't wanna lug the Ashdown out, the Orange won't disappoint :)

Si

I must disagree, I think the Ashdown ABM 500 is louder, more 'expensive sounding', with more variable tone, and just nicer all round, but mine is a series 1, I think its an early one as there is no serial number on it, or maybe they just had a forgetful friday. The orange is great as an easy to carry, lightweight thing, and sure nails 'that' tone, but the eq is pretty weak if you prefer something even slightly different from the flat stock tone. That said, unless someone makes me a silly offer for the terror, i'm keeping both.
BTW, I have done a bit of bass recording for a mate who has a pro studio for film scores, ads, pc games etc, and he really likes a usa P, through the abm 500, and then di'd into the desk!! Maybe its all in the fingers, or just that I come very cheap...

Both my ABMs are series 1, and I love them to bits. You're right, of course, that the ABM is more flexible, but I definitely wouldn't say it sounds more expensive or complex. I was blown away by the Orange the first time I plugged it in, but then it's each to their own, isn't it. Can't agree about the volume though. I've always found the ABM400's quiet.

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1329355' date='Aug 5 2011, 10:50 PM']Can't agree about the volume though. I've always found the ABM400's quiet.[/quote]

Yeah, that's closer to my experience too. I had an ABM500 Evo3 and whilst the tone of the amp wasn't bad, it was just so quiet that I couldn't use it. I remember proudly turning up to rehearsal with my new rig (500 head and matching 410t and 115c) and getting completely drowned out at fairly sedate rehearsal volume with the thing running to its absolute limit. My old 200W Hartke HA2000 was amazingly loud through the same cabs, so I kept them (still got 'em, in fact) and sold the ABM500 at the earliest opportunity.

Well, aint that strange, maybe Ive got a loud abm, or a quiet orange? The abm easy keeps up with a drummer, volume on about half through an old marshall 4 x 10, guitarist thru a fender de ville, but all these things are pretty subjective, however, in all the years i've been playing, I've never heard it said 'that bassists a bit quiet, isnt he?'

I've never found the ABM lacking, the Orange was just louder. I say was, because its now a bit 'quieter' (comparatively) due to the lower-gain tubes I installed, but it still marginaly beats the ABM. Just means I have to turn the ABM a bit louder, no biggy. That's when it gets used of course....more of a recording amp now as thats where it seems to beat the Orange, didn't like the Terror on recordings.

Si

I've used a mate's Bass terror through a 4x10 and it was very very loud! But as for the ABM being quiet, i'm not so sure about that, i own an ABM500 Evo RC and Ashdown 8x10 and i've never once been in a situation where it wasn't loud enough, even in a band with a psychotic drummer and 2 guitarist's both using marshalls. A similar volume comparison was in a thread recently, and as i said then, if a full ABM500 rig is struggling to be heard in a rehearsal/gig situation then a) the band is phenomenally loud, :) the amp has a fault or c) the band are all hogging the same frequencies and its a "cutting through" problem rather than a volume problem.

I have been gigging Orange Terror bass amp,with superb results,the sound fills the stage aswell as every venue we play (pubs circuit).
Useing ampeg cabs ie 4x10/1x5 with the Terror head stacked on top.
best map i ever had,without a doubt.
As far as Ashdown go,well i would give them a miss :).

Oh just the bulb went on the 1st gig,but replacement sent from Orange after a moan.

ORANGE TERROR BASS HEAD R O C K S !

Terror Bass + Barefaced = Awesome
I run a Terror Bass into a Barefaced midget and is such a tiny loud rig with a great flat sound. I agree about slightly using slightly lower gain tubes, makes the DI more useable and gives a wider range of warm valve sounds before it all gets too grindy

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1326425' date='Aug 4 2011, 06:10 AM']In the final analysis the Ashdown may well be the head for me. I like it's depth and easy adjustability, but I keep getting drawn to the terror bass by great reviews, and previous good exp with their guitar stuff.

Has anyone used both and thus feels able to do a comparison?

Thanks

Chris[/quote]

I would not buy the terror bass, it needs some mods that Orange should be doing not the purchaser, I would hold fire until this has been done they are doing it right now.. It has the potential to be a good amp but at the moment it is not.... i think Mk2 will be a what everyone is wanting....
still a one trick pony but a good one

ABM is a fine machine that has been modified and enhanced over the years, it is very versatile and can cover all styles if you know how to use it .... I still have my early ABM, apart from a dodgy jack it has had nothing go wrong with it and its now the house bass amp at my mates pub in camden so get used 3-4 times a week. But they are old school mosfet stuff can be quite heavy depending on the model you get....