Why become a member? ×

Cabinet dillema - do I need a 4x10 in my life.

xzodar

Hi All

To date in my bass playing career I've pretty much been able to get away with single cab solutions, even when playing with my pub 'classic rock' band and generally use a Little Mark II through one Aguilar GS112 which seems fine for smallish pub gigs, with a second Aggie 112 available if we play in a slightly larger venue after which I'd expect to DI and go through the FOH anyway.

The last couple of weeks we've used a different rehearsal venue which also supplies the bass and guitar amps and cabs. Great I thought, less gear to lug around to rehearsal.

So last week, I turn up to the rehearsal and plug into a Peavy Tour 450 and Peavey 4x10 and had a great rehearsal with a much more punchy sound than I've been used to getting, in fact the rest of the guys also commented on the great sound.

So this week I decided to bring along my own amp and compare that to the Peavey and found out two things.

1. The Little Mark II gives me an even better sound (to my ears) than the Peavey - Phew! (Not that I would have any complaints about the Peavey sound, I'm just glad I don't have to consider changing my amp). :-)

2. The main 'improvement' to my overall sound in the context of this band appears to be the 4x10 cab (which is a Peavey 410 TVX). Definitely more presence and a punchy kind of sound.

Now I'm not about to start lugging a 100lb + speaker cab about, (not with a back like mine) so what would peoples suggestions be? A decent Neo speakered 410 or perhaps two 210's (stacked vertically)?

Any other suggestions for a lightish solution that will give me similar results? It's not as if the 410 TVX is an expensive cabinet in comparison to lots on the market so there must be something out there that will do as well or better whilst still being light weight?

Out of interest I also have an EBS Neo 110 which I use for some other (non rock band) rehearsals, so maybe adding something to pair with this would be a better plan?

If you've made it to the bottom of this post then thanks for reading and I welcome any suggestions which you may have.

Cheers

Pete

A 410 is a formidable package.
2x112 are good as well..but you'll have to accept the compromise.of weight over sound.

What you add to embellish a 'deficiency'..you take away from elsewhere, so I'd say if you really want that 410 sound, you need to get used to the idea of carrying a 410.
I use 2x210 and that works for me ( ceramics) but my experience is lightweight means 'lightweight' in some regard.

Edited by JTUK

[b]Bareface SuperTwelve T[/b]

Seriously, its as punchy as Tyson, staggeringly close sound to my Berg ae410 (just needs a little boost in the low end to be almost the same in a mix), if I was buying again I'd go in that direction like a shot, oh and it is SO light.....

It will keep up with a 410, specifically my 410 (so anything on the planet) in terms of output too. Very very highly recommended from me (and a lot of other people too).

You are going to get a huge amount of Barefaced love on here, I'd love one but can't afford the dosh for a new one, I have had some long chats with Alex from Barefaced over the last few weeks and he's fab, really really knowledgeable! If you tell him what sounds you like to make and what your amp is he'll suggest the most appropriate cab from his range!

I've not seen a bad word said about them and I want one (one day!)

How quiet is your band? I can't imagine a 112 being enough for a "classic rock" band! Anyway, I had 2 GS112's and I thought they sounded best/great when used in pairs, especially with an LM2.

The 10's will sound "better" because they will give you more mids which will sound like they are punching through the mix. 410's are great, but with my back they have to have castors fitted! I have 2 210's which I love but I mostly use the 2 112's these days.

Do you [i]really[/i] need to change?

I`ve just gone down the Barefaced Compact + Midget route (the Midget is sitting at my work, waiting for me to collect it at the moment). Used my Compact last night, and am very pleased with it. I`d def recommend Barefaced gear.

You can get fairly lightweight 410s, at around 50 lbs in weight, which aren`t too difficult to manage. I`ve got a dodgy shoulder/back, and I can still manage a 50 lb 410 on my own quite easily. I just went Barefaced to make life even easier - and it has.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I think I definitely need to start using both Aggie 112's for all gigs as a matter of course and see how that sounds. Maybe I have been pushing my luck a little bit with just the one cab and am not being heard in the mix so well?

I'll also check out the Barefaced gear. (I do remember putting my name down to try one of the demo compacts that were going around the country but I'm not sure if that is still happening and I've certainly not heard anything).

Oh to be rich and famous and have roadies to carry all my gear :-)

Cheers

Pete

I have a MarkBass LM2 and used to run it through 2 Aguilar GS112 cabs as I thought a modular rig would sound good and be light and transportable. I didnt like them too much, sounded a bit pokey in my opinon and they were not that light.

I wanted to be able to move all my gear in one trip so, I ended up buying a EBS 4x10 Neo cab 1000w RMS 4 ohm and it is unbelievable. I can lift with one hand, its built like a tank, looks wicked and the sound is so clear and punchy it is frightening. My stingray 5 through it is devastating.

I've been running two SWR Goliath 4x10's for the last couple of years and just putting up with the fact that at 89lbs, they were a pain in the back to move around. For me, the sound quality made the weight worth it.

Then I had a couple of speakers blow in the older of the two and replaced all four with Deltalites and wow what a difference. In this day and age, a 4x10 doesnt have to be massively heavy. In fact, I remember a certain Mr Warwickhunt carrying his Tech Sound Systems 6x10 in one hand!

Another 410 user here, a MarkBass STD 104. I love it, the lows are awesome and the mids punchy like nothing else. It would take a lot to get me to move from 410's. The MB ones are only 25kg to so not at all that heavy. A GS112 weighs 19kg!

Hope you get a choice sorted!

Dan

Found an old topic I made comparing the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99358&hl=supertwelve"]Bergantino ae410 and a SuperTwelve[/url] albeit driven by different amps, but playing the same music with the same signal chain, at VERY high volume, Alex chimes in about halfway through. It has some clips to listen to as well.

May help you a bit....

I think there's nothing punchier than a decent 4x10. I use Hartke XL 4 x 10 and a 1 x 12. The 4x10 is nearly as heavy as the peavey and its a pain dragging it around so I built a small wheeled trolley for it, now I just have to just lift it into the boot. Sounds better than the other cabs, pity you have to spend a lot more money than I can afford to get a good really lightweight one.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1325848' date='Aug 3 2011, 04:40 PM']I think there's nothing punchier than a decent 4x10. I use Hartke XL 4 x 10 and a 1 x 12. The 4x10 is nearly as heavy as the peavey and its a pain dragging it around so I built a small wheeled trolley for it, now I just have to just lift it into the boot. Sounds better than the other cabs, pity you have to spend a lot more money than I can afford to get a good really lightweight one.[/quote]

I can guarantee you that the Bareface SuperTwelve destroys that Harke cab for punch. I've compared them, and thats what happened. It wasn't any kind of surprise at all.

If you like the LMIII and want a 4x10, I'd second the MB 410 - I had a rear-ported one, and it was a one-man carry - bulkier than it was heavy. I'd probably still have it, but our rehearsal studio was burgled, and the thieves clearly considered it light enough to nick. They left my Roland 115 behind, tho... :)

[quote name='xzodar' post='1325429' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:33 AM']Thanks for all the replies so far. I think I definitely need to start using both Aggie 112's for all gigs as a matter of course and see how that sounds. Maybe I have been pushing my luck a little bit with just the one cab and am not being heard in the mix so well?[/quote]

I've used GS112's before and my opnion is that a single is crap compared to the two.
As much as I like GS112's..I've never ever recommend them as singles unless the gig is VERY quiet.

I like 2 GS112's and have gigged them extensively, but when the gig is discerning and there is space, I don't take then above 2x210's.

I think you need to do this at more than a few gigs rather than a simple A/B test. A one-off test tells you not a whole lot, IMO.
If that is the best you can do, then you'll have to go with that, though I wouldn't put too much store in it myself.

In my rig i have a Mesa powerhouse 4X12, which weighs in at 136lb/62kg

i personally couldnt use anything else as i love the low end rumble and the sheer power that this cab outputs.

alongside that i have a QSC 1400 watt poweramp

so id say go with the 4x10, either way ur gunna have to be luggin a cab about, but for rehearsing and gigging, isnt it better that u are happier with your sound?