Why become a member? ×

Ashdown abm-115

hookys6stringbass

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='15365' date='Jun 10 2007, 11:59 PM']I've found you again, took me a while.... Anyway has anyone used the Ashdown ABM 115 cab??? What did you think? Ive heard so many different things good and bad about Ashdown that I'm a bit confused. If i do get this cab I'll be running it with my trusty Peavey Pro Bass 500 and ideally I'd like to run 2 1x15 cabs...[/quote]

Which particular ABM115? There is the Mini 15, the compact 15 which is the middle sized cab, and the ABM115-500, which is Ashdowns biggest 15 and is about tyhe size and wieght of a washing machine.

I've owned all three. They are solidly built, good sounding and good value for their price but none have a tweeter which can make them sound a bit dull to some ears. It depends what sort of sound you're after.

[quote name='Muppet' post='15423' date='Jun 11 2007, 08:40 AM']I had the washing machine. I reckon it was probably Ashdown's best cab. Quite tight for a 15" not too woolly, despite the absence of a horn.[/quote]

I use a 1 x 15" (in a ABM C115 575w combo) and it sounds great!

I agree about the lack of a horn... but I like that older sound ;-)

Combined with a ABM 410 cab - you have it all for a great sound.

Very solidly built, heavy, good drivers, what's to dislike?

I had the compact ABM115. Have to echo the above comments - a little dull on its own, but I used it with an ABM410 which improved things. I also thought the 4x10 handled a bottom B better than the compact 115.

Hamster

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='15437' date='Jun 11 2007, 09:48 AM']I use a 1 x 15" (in a ABM C115 575w combo) and it sounds great!

I agree about the lack of a horn... but I like that older sound ;-)

Combined with a ABM 410 cab - you have it all for a great sound.

Very solidly built, heavy, good drivers, what's to dislike?[/quote]

yep thats what im after that older sound...

I have the compact 15. Very solid build and no nasty carpet covering.

Issue - always saying this - is that it's rear ported. Any rear ported cab won't suit all gigging situations. As a for instance we had an outdoor jobby yesterday . A fair proportion of your sound can just set off backwards into the ether. I solve it by shoving a handy table on end behind my rig. Not 100% but practical. Of course I'd like to use bigger ,more efficient , front ported cabs but sadly Ashdown don't supply a gorilla to lift them around for me or a free van to transport them.

Re the Ashdown good/bad debate. It seems to me it's very similar to the Ashdown ABM/MAG debate. MAG stuff is designed to be cheaper and of course won't have some of the attributes of the more expensive ABM range. Certainly you would look for better build quality in the ABMs.

Other than that , like any gear , it's down to opinion and preference.

Funny but I feel quite defensive of Ashdown. Never let me down once and, as a gigging player who doesn't always treat his rig as he should, that's issue no.1 for me.
I've managed to f*** up Trace,GK,Hartke and Eden cabs , but never an Ashdown.

My cabs are rear ported and I've never noticed any major sound differences as such compared to my old front ported cabs. Wasn't that point discussed on BW, where the conclusion was that there'd be no change in sound regardless of where the ports are? What is the official word on this? Sorry to hamper your point Dave, but this got me wondering again Alex/Bill?........