Why become a member? ×

Stingray - Difference in Rosewood and Maple necks?

Linus27

[quote name='witterth' post='1323199' date='Aug 1 2011, 03:57 PM']Eh up L
long time...
Ive found maple necks "livelier" than rosewood, depends what your after, and its only an opinion but if its warm tone rosewood.
But bright, happy, slappy growly, Id say maple
atb
W[/quote]

Hey up Chuck :)

Ah now thats interesting, bright, happy, slappy although not actually physically slapping is the sound in my head although warm sounds nice also :)

So you did notice a difference though which i guess is a good thing.

Thanks matey.

Edited by Linus27

I've had both and tbh can only really tell the difference in a studio or through headphones it's rather subtle, in a band mix they sound much the same, the feel is different, the look is different, the dimensions are all identical...

The way I see this is I have never needed to run any Ray flat out on treble or bass so either could be tamed/boosted to [u]your choice [/u]of tone, Id wager using a different cab type or head would make 10 times more difference.

Maple is for the win IMO although as you have sunburst gas (seen in other thread) I think maybe rosewood looks better with that finish :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1323350' date='Aug 1 2011, 06:22 PM']The way I see this is I have never needed to run any Ray flat out on treble or bass so either could be tamed/boosted to [u]your choice [/u]of tone, Id wager using a different cab type or head would make 10 times more difference.

Maple is for the win IMO although as you have sunburst gas (seen in other thread) I think maybe rosewood looks better with that finish :lol:[/quote]

HEHE well I better exaplin as you have read my other thread. Sunburst with rosewood would be my choice but I have gone a bit soft for an all natural stingray which in my opinion, only looks good with a maple neck :) In fact, in my eyes, the best looking stingray is natural with maple neck. So my options have changed a little :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='1323403' date='Aug 1 2011, 07:07 PM']HEHE well I better exaplin as you have read my other thread. Sunburst with rosewood would be my choice but I have gone a bit soft for an all natural stingray which in my opinion, only looks good with a maple neck :) In fact, in my eyes, the best looking stingray is natural with maple neck. So my options have changed a little :)[/quote]

why not just go into a shop and play two similar basses, one with maple fb, the other with rosewood. you'll work out the difference soon enough?

[quote name='Linus27' post='1323403' date='Aug 1 2011, 07:07 PM']HEHE well I better exaplin as you have read my other thread. Sunburst with rosewood would be my choice but I have gone a bit soft for an all natural stingray which in my opinion, only looks good with a maple neck :lol: In fact, in my eyes, the best looking stingray is natural with maple neck. So my options have changed a little :)[/quote]

Strangley natural was last on my list when looking for a pre EB but then this one came up in such good condition I thought I may aswell go for it, Since then Im much more fond of it I think partly as they always look nicer in the flesh than in photos, Its hard to get the honey colour to look good in pics as it always comes out very pale. I like almost all Rays anyway really you cant miss :)

My preference, most of the time, is rosewood. Most of my basses are rosewood...with one single H Ray in maple. To be honest, its more of a softer feel with rosewood, something feels different.

The maple single H Ray (v sunburst/black plate/maple) looks stunning and im glad its maple as I seem to have a very nice scattering of flame/birdseye in a few areas.

Both nice, you cant go wrong.

I've had rosewood (old SUB), maple (current 'Ray) and my fretless is Pau Ferro. The comment about softer feel is spot on, rosewood has definitely got a slightly grainier, warmer feel to it that glossy maple. The difference in sound I'd wager would be very, very slight only. I do feel that the glossy maple is slicker, and definitely aids playing quicker, but that's probably psychology on my part. The Pau Ferro is between the two, darker colour, harder but much lower level of lacquer, and is spot on for fretless work. I'd agree that a natural, maple is a great combo, invoking the spirit of 'Nard, but my black/maple is growing on me. Something like honeyburst, with a white plate and rosewood is very, very nice IMHO. Oh and black/rosewood, none more rock....

I prefer maple for looks but not the anaemic stuff you get these days.

I would say there is a difference. Maple tends to be brighter and aid more in a bouncy feel aswell as sound, rosewood is a warmer sound. However the difference is void in a mix. Still sounds like a stingray.

If you were to take two stingrays, identical in every way except for the fretboard, and recorded them identically, that anyone here would be able to tell which was the rosewood and which was the maple, unless you have the kind of ears that can tell the difference between duracell and ever-ready batteries.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1323734' date='Aug 2 2011, 12:18 AM']I prefer maple for looks but not the anaemic stuff you get these days.

I would say there is a difference. Maple tends to be brighter and aid more in a bouncy feel aswell as sound, rosewood is a warmer sound. However the difference is void in a mix. Still sounds like a stingray.[/quote]

what he said.
best 'ray I ever had was a natural one like yours with a maple neck (Pre EB too and I sold it DOH!!!)