Why become a member? ×

Cab for Hartke 5500 head

libertino

I've just bought my first ever bass and had a search on ebay for any amps being sold locally. Found the Hartke 5500 amp head, read only good things about it in review, and managed to get it for £205 (good deal?)

Now I need your advice please to be absolutely sure I buy a cabinet that correctly matches it. The head is 500 Watts of power at 4 ohms. What specification do I need to look for in a cab? And are there any in particular you would recommend? It's my intention to become a gigging bassist so it needs to be something that can be used on stage.

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy

Everything depends on budget of course, but if it were me, I`d be looking at used gear, starting on here.

From there, you have a couple of options:

1. Start off with one 8 ohm cab, either a 4x10 or 1x15, depending on your preference. Usually a 500 watt amp at 4 ohms will push out about 300-ish watts at 8 ohms - if you have a manual for the amp it should tell you this. So get a cab that handles this power. This way, later on, you can add a second 8 ohm cab, to get the full performance from your amp - though the difference between 300 watts and 500 isn`t that much in actual volume from what I`ve read on here.

2. Or, you can get a single 4 ohm cab, that handles 500 watts or above, but from there, that will be it, you won`t be able to add any more cabs in at a later date.

Re makes - if you can find the Hartke XL cabs, they are very good, will match the amp, and are very reasonable - they are heavy though. Likewise Peavey cabs are good, but heavy.

Cracking amp choice, mate! I still love my HA5500 and keep it at the studios for our weekly rehearsal slot. I pair it up with an Ashdown ABM-410T cab (think it's been replaced by the 410H these days, but very similar) and despite it being an 8ohm cab, it's still one hell of a loud and powerful rig. I used to gig it before I went for more lightweight gear, and I was always happy with the volume and tone for classic to heavy rock and metal. I rarely get the master volume over '4', and we play loud :)

As an aside, I took my new Barefaced Super 12 down to the studios on Saturday, and when I plugged it in, forgot that I'd left it on 3 on the master. All I'm gonna say is that four perfectly good pairs of underwear were put at risk! I realise you might not want to spend £700+ on a cab at this stage in your playing career, but in later years when you're fancying an upgrade, just remember that if you give the HA5500 a classy cab, by 'eck does it perform!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Cracking amp choice, mate! I still love my HA5500 and keep it at the studios for our weekly rehearsal slot. I pair it up with an Ashdown ABM-410T cab (think it's been replaced by the 410H these days, but very similar) and despite it being an 8ohm cab, it's still one hell of a loud and powerful rig.[/quote]

I used to run my HA3500 through an Ashdown MAG 410 Deep. Cheep as chips at £260 new and rated at 450W. Can't go wrong to start out.

Not sure if the 5500 is the same configuration as the 3500 but the 3500 has two 8 ohm outputs. so I'd start off with an 8ohm cabinet and then if you need more volume (i doubt it) you can add a second. Don't get a 4 ohm cabinet because you'll just underload the 8ohm output and blow yer amp! £205 is an excellent price btw - I paid that for my HA3500 S/H

Depending on your budget you can get a peavey 4x10 or 1x15 for £not much (or an ashdown but not as hardy as the peavey stuff) to get you going...
or you can splash out on something better (here's where everyone will recommend their own gear). As long as it is 8ohms you'll be fine, but you might want to get some opinions or try stuff out first because it depends on what sort of sound you want to get!

Personally I'd try and find a good secondhand Peavey 115 BW to get you started, you can always sell it down the line and they are near bulletproof!

[quote name='brensabre79' post='1337679' date='Aug 12 2011, 02:27 PM']Don't get a 4 ohm cabinet because you'll just underload the 8ohm output and blow yer amp![/quote]

Doesn't work like that. The outputs are in parallel, so you can use:

a] one of them with one 8 ohm cab
b] both of them with two 8 ohm cabs
c] one of them with one 4 ohm cab
d] one of them with two 8 ohm cabs chained together using the parallel out on the first cab to the input of the second

Unless you meant not to get a 4 ohm cab and then hope to add another 4 ohm cab later if in need of more volume, as that would indeed cause problems, being a 2 ohm load.

Thank you for your help, everyone! I ended up going for a Hartke 410XL 400 watts, £102 on ebay (+fuel to collect it).

I found browsing through second hand listings quite a difficult process - restricted by distance (which on this forum for example isn't explicit in the ad title) and ad titles not always descriptive of the item's basic specs (probably not an issue for those who know what they're doing!) - but I got there in the end! I'll let you know how I get on when I've got the gear set up. Thanks again.

[quote name='libertino' post='1340307' date='Aug 15 2011, 08:42 AM']Thank you for your help, everyone! I ended up going for a Hartke 410XL 400 watts, £102 on ebay (+fuel to collect it).

I found browsing through second hand listings quite a difficult process - restricted by distance (which on this forum for example isn't explicit in the ad title) and ad titles not always descriptive of the item's basic specs (probably not an issue for those who know what they're doing!) - but I got there in the end! I'll let you know how I get on when I've got the gear set up. Thanks again.[/quote]

I'm a big fan of Hartke XL cabs - you chose wisely! Please do let us know how you get on - and of course, there's the obligatory rig pictures required!!