Why become a member? ×

Amp & speaker advice?

Ghost Rider

[b]It looks like my trace elliot 122H 300 watt combo is sold pending collection & payment so I’m after a new set up that is going to be lighter to carry than a heavy combo. I’m after some advice so here’s what I’m thinking about:

A 300 watt head

2 cabinets consisting of one 2x10 & one 1x15.

Not sure of what make to go for on head or cabinets.

3 Items to carry have to be better for your back in the long run & I ain’t no spring chicken any more

If you guys & girls can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated.

The budget is £500 for the lot but if I can get sorted for less it would be mint.[/b]

I had a Trace 122H SMX.

Could be a pain to carry/ fit in small car boots (Stand up FIAT Punto)

I... err...

Cut mine in half with a jigsaw to make a (downsized) 2103H (2x10) and (wider than usual) AH300 SMX.

Cost me about £25 in MDF, feet and handles to make a new sleeve for the "head"
I also have a 1153 (1x15) with good (large diameter / lockable) Castors.
I stack it all on the 1x15 and strap it together with a ratchet strap. Bag on shoulder, bass in one hand, pull stack with the other!

In the main, the gear I've heard recently that's impressed me most has probably been Markbass.

Castors really are the way to go. They've saved my back a lot of grief! Stick them on your 1x15 and pile it all on that. Go careful, though, the whole lot can have a high centre of gravity.

Downside? Some people think you lose some bottom end from not having the cab directly on the floor.
And Castors won't save you from stairs!!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='153111' date='Mar 7 2008, 02:57 PM']I had a Trace 122H SMX.

Could be a pain to carry/ fit in small car boots (Stand up FIAT Punto)

I... err...

Cut mine in half with a jigsaw to make a (downsized) 2103H (2x10) and (wider than usual) AH300 SMX.

Cost me about £25 in MDF, feet and handles to make a new sleeve for the "head"
I also have a 1153 (1x15) with good (large diameter / lockable) Castors.
I stack it all on the 1x15 and strap it together with a ratchet strap. Bag on shoulder, bass in one hand, pull stack with the other!

In the main, the gear I've heard recently that's impressed me most has probably been Markbass.

Castors really are the way to go. They've saved my back a lot of grief! Stick them on your 1x15 and pile it all on that. Go careful, though, the whole lot can have a high centre of gravity.

Downside? Some people think you lose some bottom end from not having the cab directly on the floor.
And Castors won't save you from stairs!![/quote]

Cheers for the info, I did think about cutting it down but I'm not great at DIY so I thought selling it & getting smaller things would be a better bet. I have now sold the amp so I'm on the look out.. I do know someone selling a warwick sweet 15 combo for £150 but then it get back to having 3 small things to carry, rather that bust my back up & downstairs..
I'm sure something will come up.. Thanks Again.
I'm missing my Trace Elliot already & its only been gone a few hours!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='153237' date='Mar 7 2008, 05:09 PM']Light weight means digital amp and neo speakers and I cant see you getting that for £500. Other than that look at the usual suspects in this price range, Ashdown, Trace, Peavey etc.[/quote]

Cheers mate. I'll have a look about. I could pick up a bargain on here if I'm lucky!