Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB MK!'s

bubinga5

I had a TRB 6 that i bought new in around '94 / '95 and I think that was around £850 then. Kept it for 5 yrs and gigged it all over the world. Had nothing but compliments about it, including the engineer at the mean fiddler in London saying it was the best bass sound he'd heard!!

Wish I'd kept it.....

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1322673' date='Aug 1 2011, 12:22 AM']Anyone got any idea how much the original Yamaha TRB5 MK1's were when new...expensive? What do you think of these basses..[/quote]

Just picked one up on evil bay for £340 which im fairly chuffed about, only had it for about a week but im pretty sure already that its going to be a keeper. It did take me a while to get my head round the adjustable mid eq on the pre-amp but pretty sure ive got it now

Not 100% sure on the price they were selling for but i had it my head that it was around the £800-1000 mark, saw one post in the for sale forum saying they retailed for about £1300 when they were introduced but that may have been list price and not street price

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1322673' date='Aug 1 2011, 12:22 AM']Anyone got any idea how much the original Yamaha TRB5 MK1's were when new...expensive? What do you think of these basses..[/quote]

They were around £750-800. For reasons that escape me they don't hold their value well and you can pick them up for around £400 or so. Which is a completely stupid price for such an excellent bass. The Mk 1 is definitely the one to have. Build quality is outstanding and it just sounds and feels 'right'. The Mk 2s were clunky in comparison (at least the ones I've tried have been). I've had my Mk 1 for over 10 years and still use it regularly. Great bass, get one if you can.

i bought my trb6 in about 92-92 was about £1600 the from wapping bass centre - bright orange w/gold hardware - as good a finish and build quality as you will ever see from a factory built instrument! - one piece through neck has a very comfortable heel contour into the body - loved the pickups and the active eq really great if you like a massive fat bottom but personally preferred the sound from the piezo pickups quite a unique tone that you wont quite find on many other instruments and mixable into the regular pickups

BUY BUY BUY!!!

and if you dont buy then please post the fleabay link so i can have a butchers :)

Let me guess, you watched the Dirty Loops vids and now you have TRB gas?

I've watched the dirty loops vids more times than I'm prepared to admit and they've certainly given me TRB-gas! Having sold a Status 6 string not that long ago declaring that 6 strings just weren't for me, I'm considering a U-turn just to get 'that tone'.

[quote name='Rumble' post='1324216' date='Aug 2 2011, 01:34 PM']I've watched the dirty loops vids more times than I'm prepared to admit and they've certainly given me TRB-gas! Having sold a Status 6 string not that long ago declaring that 6 strings just weren't for me, I'm considering a U-turn just to get 'that tone'.[/quote]

It takes more than the bass to get 'that tone'.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1325378' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:52 AM']It takes more than the bass to get 'that tone'.[/quote]

Absolutely agree, but getting that tone would be near on impossible with a Stingray or a P bass or a jazz; you get my point?

[quote name='Chris Horton' post='1326214' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:05 PM']What is the dirty loops vid's ?
Could you please point me in the right direction, im a real TRB fan :)[/quote]

its a 3 peice band doing jazzy/funky covers of pop songs, bass player uses a TRB6 with the piezo pick up i think

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV10C5wrajA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV10C5wrajA[/url]

[quote name='brick' post='1326525' date='Aug 4 2011, 09:36 AM']its a 3 peice band doing jazzy/funky covers of pop songs, bass player uses a TRB6 with the piezo pick up i think

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV10C5wrajA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV10C5wrajA[/url][/quote]

Thanks for posting the link ,

They are tighter than a ducks butt !!

[quote name='brick' post='1326525' date='Aug 4 2011, 09:36 AM']its a 3 peice band doing jazzy/funky covers of pop songs, bass player uses a TRB6 with the piezo pick up i think

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV10C5wrajA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV10C5wrajA[/url][/quote]

You'd be better off just listening rather than watching the videos. As soon as you see the bassist's haircut you'll be wanting to punch him in the face because of his stupid haircut! Nice tone though.

[quote name='Chris2112' date='Aug 4 2011, 07:45 PM' post='1327686']
You'd be better off just listening rather than watching the videos. As soon as you see the bassist's haircut you'll be wanting to punch him in the face because of his stupid haircut! Nice tone though.
[/quote

:)

I will let him off but only because the dude can really play :)

[quote]You'd be better off just listening rather than watching the videos. As soon as you see the bassist\'s haircut you\'ll be wanting to punch him in the face because of his stupid haircut! Nice tone though.[/quote]
Hey, that's an extended range hair cut.

BTW it's not jazz, its pffy funk.

FFWD to 1:15. I challenge anyone to convince me that the bassist doesn't go 'PFF' at the end of the run.

I bought my TRB4 in the early 90's and it cost £1100, other basses have come and gone but I will always own this, I've had all sorts of decent basses but always end up playing this instead, it's just so versatile, love the tone, love the feel and everything else about it.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1327686' date='Aug 4 2011, 07:45 PM']You'd be better off just listening rather than watching the videos. As soon as you see the bassist's haircut you'll be wanting to punch him in the face because of his stupid haircut! Nice tone though.[/quote]oop.. there goes another..

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1328219' date='Aug 5 2011, 08:06 AM']Hey, that's an extended range hair cut.

BTW it's not jazz, its pffy funk.

FFWD to 1:15. I challenge anyone to convince me that the bassist doesn't go 'PFF' at the end of the run.[/quote]

He does, he blows the hair out of his face at the end of the run.

• 6 years later...

I owned a TRB Mk1 (the one with the slap scoop) had it as my main ride for over a decade, changed amp and it all sounded rubbish ...blamed the 'old bass' and stupidly sold it. The amp was the problem d'oh Damnit One of the best basses i have ever owned (and that's in excess of 150..) still look out for one, they are very rare.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1312483540' post='1327686']

[/quote]

That's funny, because he was saying he loves your haircut, but finds your bass tone a bit "meh"...