Why become a member? ×

Epifani UL112 Series 2 connection confusion

andydye

I bought an epi ul112 yesterday and love the sound, that's why I bought it!

But

When I connect the head to the right hand speakon it works fine but doing the same with the left hand speakon nothing comes out!

Is this supposed to happen? Is the left one for daisy chain only or is it somehow broken?

Thanks!

Edited by andydye

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1322221' date='Jul 31 2011, 03:58 PM']Think one is for daisy chaining.[/quote]

Thanks matey, I wondered if that was it so I thought I'd ask, they aren't labelled differently though which made me wonder...

[quote name='obbm' post='1322261' date='Jul 31 2011, 04:38 PM']There should be no difference. They should both work. There is no in and out. They are supposed to be wired together to allow daisy chaining.[/quote]

Hhmmm that was my worry, I'll speak to the shop tomorrow...

Thanks

The build quality of mine looks good to me, am really liking the sound and weight of it too...

Curious about connections, Alex (Bass Gallery) has just confirmed that all of their in-stock cabs do the same as mine...

[quote name='andydye' post='1325409' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:19 AM']The build quality of mine looks good to me, am really liking the sound and weight of it too...

Curious about connections, Alex (Bass Gallery) has just confirmed that all of their in-stock cabs do the same as mine...[/quote]

In that case I suggest that you contact Epifani directly. Have you tried the same with the jack inputs?

Alternatively is there a technically savvy BCer near you who could check it over with a multi-meter. I'd be happy to do it but I'm rather a long way away from Sheffield.

Edited by obbm

If the sockets on the cab were different they would be labelled up. Are they?

I have never seen a cab with different in and out sockets! Both sockets should be interchangeable. All mine are.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='obbm' post='1325413' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:22 AM']In that case I suggest that you contact Epifani directly. Have you tried the same with the jack inputs?

Alternatively is there a technically savvy BCer near you who could check it over with a multi-meter. I'd be happy to do it but I'm rather a long way away from Sheffield.[/quote]

I have just emailed Epifani and copied Alex at the Gallery in too in case it's a dicky batch...(which seems a little odd!)

[quote name='chris_b' post='1325452' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:44 AM']Are you sure your cables are good? Have you swapped them around?[/quote]

It's one speakon to speakon cable that I've tried in both holes (as it were), nothing else changed in the set-up, the cable et al work spotlessly in one 'hole' and not even a faint hiss in the other 'hole'...

I am waiting on Epifani's pleasure for a response which will either confirm that all is ok or that I should have bought something else...

[quote name='andydye' post='1325438' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:37 AM']I have just emailed Epifani and copied Alex at the Gallery in too in case it's a dicky batch...(which seems a little odd!)[/quote]

Good luck, lets hope this gets sorted one way or the other.
Im pretty sure my 2 UL's would allow me to use either, i certainly dont recall ever having to use a certain socket on either cab.
Maybe the changed the design.

My issues were well documented so ill just say both cabs looked great on the outside but on closer inspection the UL212 seemed to have been made by a child in a dark room.
The 112 i had farted too much, even at bedroom levels (i got that from the Gallery but Alex was great about taking it back and i ended up with a UL115, no issues with that ever)

They are great cabs though and i do lust after another UL115

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1325462' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:50 AM']Good luck, lets hope this gets sorted one way or the other.

Im pretty sure my 2 UL's would allow me to use either, i certainly dont recall ever having to use a certain socket on either cab.

Maybe they changed the design.

My issues were well documented so ill just say both cabs looked great on the outside but on closer inspection the UL212 seemed to have been made by a child in a dark room.
The 112 i had farted too much, even at bedroom levels (i got that from the Gallery but Alex was great about taking it back and i ended up with a UL115, no issues with that ever)

They are great cabs though and i do lust after another UL115[/quote]

Thanks D,

The UL112 series 2 I have sounds fab with my Shuttle 9.0 and the bottom end with a Stingray 5 scared the s**t out of the shop assistant compared to the Vanderkley 112-EXT I tried back to back with it, as I say Alex has checked the other Epi cabs in the shop and they seem the same as mine, he's wondering if they've changed the design too as they defo used to be both useable as IN's...

I am lusting after a second UL112 series 2 (assuming they can reassure me about this issue - otherwise it's going back and I'm getting barefaced)...

[quote name='obbm' post='1325514' date='Aug 3 2011, 12:21 PM']Have you tried connecting the amp to the cab with a jack to jack cable? For test purposes an instrument cable will do. You should be able to uses both jacks as inputs.[/quote]

good thought...the amp only has speakon out though, I'll try it with my bass buddy later as I can use a jack to jack then and it has a small power amp in it...

thanks again!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1325562' date='Aug 3 2011, 12:45 PM']You might find that the speaker socket on the amp is dual speakon and 1/4" jack. The jack plug can go in the middle of the speakon socket. If you're not sure, check the user manual.[/quote]

They are dual speakon/jack sockets on the cab but not on my amp, my bass buddy is jack out though so I can use a jack-jack to check them both tonight

Checked it over with a jack-jack last night and there's definately a faulty speakon.

Had very speedy email response from Nick Epifani, he's sending over some replacement speakon connectors to the Gallery who'll do the repair and Epifani will pick up the tab...

Just need to work out how to get it from Sheffield to London and back before my next practice...

[quote name='andydye' post='1326489' date='Aug 4 2011, 08:57 AM']Checked it over with a jack-jack last night and there's definately a faulty speakon.

Had very speedy email response from Nick Epifani, he's sending over some replacement speakon connectors to the Gallery who'll do the repair and Epifani will pick up the tab...

Just need to work out how to get it from Sheffield to London and back before my next practice...[/quote]

Hate to be the one to always 'get on' at a retailer, but id expect it to be at no cost to you! So, if the cab needs to go back through no fault of your own (eg Epifani) then the store and Epifani should consider this and pick it up from you.

In addition, id more than likely be asking for a new cabinet...Im a picky so and so but I wouldnt want a repair (however minor) when its brand new! You might expect it if its 6 months + old or second hand, but not when its probably within the returns policy.

Im probably going totally over the top haha!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1326500' date='Aug 4 2011, 09:16 AM']Im probably going totally over the top haha![/quote]

Not at all. It's brand new and not fit for purpose. OP has every right to demand a correctly working new one.

[quote name='andydye' post='1326489' date='Aug 4 2011, 08:57 AM']Checked it over with a jack-jack last night and there's definately a faulty speakon.

Just need to work out how to get it from Sheffield to London and back before my next practice...[/quote]

Glad you got it sorted. I did tell you they look ok on the outside didnt I ;-).

So your going to be without your cab for a while eh? Thats not good and i would insist on a fully working replacement cab being sent out to you and the old one picked up at the same time, at no expense to yourself.

I dont think its the end of the world that one connector isnt working, its still working if you need it but i would be more hacked off if i didnt have it when i needed it.

Do they really need to send connectors all the way from the USA? Cant they be sourced locally today?

I wonder how many other people have this issue without knowing it. It unbelievable that its not just your cab but others sitting in a shop wait to be sold. So much for going boutique.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1326500' date='Aug 4 2011, 09:16 AM']Hate to be the one to always 'get on' at a retailer, but id expect it to be at no cost to you! So, if the cab needs to go back through no fault of your own (eg Epifani) then the store and Epifani should consider this and pick it up from you.

In addition, id more than likely be asking for a new cabinet...Im a picky so and so but I wouldnt want a repair (however minor) when its brand new! You might expect it if its 6 months + old or second hand, but not when its probably within the returns policy.

Im probably going totally over the top haha![/quote]

I agree, and the best way to keep me up and running would be for them to send me a new and identical but perfect cab and swap out the one I currently have before repairing it and selling it to someone else...

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1326510' date='Aug 4 2011, 09:27 AM']Glad you got it sorted. I did tell you they look ok on the outside didnt I ;-).

So your going to be without your cab for a while eh? Thats not good and i would insist on a fully working replacement cab being sent out to you and the old one picked up at the same time, at no expense to yourself.

I dont think its the end of the world that one connector isnt working, its still working if you need it but i would be more hacked off if i didnt have it when i needed it.

Do they really need to send connectors all the way from the USA? Cant they be sourced locally today?[/quote]

The one that works sounds great, it's a faulty part that I'd have expected them to check before sending it out of the factory and that's not great QA, they are trying to sort it out and Epifani's sending replacement parts out is their way of assuring the quality of the bits in their cabs I suppose...it might not be the most convenient way for me but it will still be all Epi rather than part Maplin...