Why become a member? ×

Newbie pitchshifter bass

Mikey-t1994

Hi guys, just introduced myself in the newbies threads and now I'm going to go into a bit more detail about me and my bass.
Up until the start of this week I had never touched a bass and all I knew was most had 4 strings, good start I know!
Well the slightly condensed story is my favourite band of the past 15 years "pitchshifter" decided to have a silent auction on some of there old gear. And me being me hastily put in a bid and forgot about it. I think we all know how this goes. Yes I got a phone call off Mark clayden yes I now own the bass.

At first I had a bit of confusion not knowing what bass is what and the picture of it on the web site is in the wrong order apparently
[url="http://www.pitchshifter.com/v5/greed.html"]http://www.pitchshifter.com/v5/greed.html[/url]
I now own the drop c bass

I'm not entirely sure on what exactly it is all I know is it's ibanez and there is no normal serial number just one on the headstock starting LA.

And this is the case which is the bit I love covered in history

Now I have the task of a) learning to play :) getting some equipment ,leads amp etc, and c) trying to play still as I know this will be one he'll of a task, and this thing is NOT going on eBay

Any tips advice or knowledge on this actual bass would be really helpful as I literally know nothing

Well it seems to be an Ibanez custom shop....which depending on what you paid for it, could be a great deal....if you like Ibanez lol.
I should think your best bet is to contact Ibanez and ask directly, sure they could give you some decent info.

Maybe an ibanez-head will be in soon, I don't really know anything about them.
You will be able to take it out of Drop C if you want, probably handy if you're learning otherwise you won't be able to play along with anything other than Pitchshifter and a handful of other metal bands (like my old one :) )

Congrats on the purchase :)

Si

Good score.
It will most likely be set up (to perfection) for drop C. If you plan on taking this seriously, you should probably have it re-set-up when you switch to a more standard tuning.... by a reputable guitar tech - not by the local bodger or your local guitar shop.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1317610' date='Jul 26 2011, 08:42 PM']On the back of the headstock there should be a serial #.
Go to [url="http://forum.ibanez.com"]http://forum.ibanez.com[/url] & post your serial # & someone will give you all the info for it.[/quote]
Yeah I tried that but it was not a recognised serial number being a custom

[quote name='Mikey-t1994' post='1317615' date='Jul 26 2011, 08:44 PM']Yeah I tried that but it was not a recognised serial number being a custom[/quote]
Well, that sounds like an excuse to give Mr Clayden a buzz. :)

Have you had a look in Ibanez Register to see if it's there?

Edited by xgsjx

From what I can ascertain, it looks like an Ibanez EDB600, except it only has 5 controls (BMT, Pan & Vol). The newer EDB550 has only 4, but has J/J pick-ups rather than the soapbars. The '600 had soapbars in, but not Barts. They were Ibanez' own brand (though it did have a Bart-derived EQ, IIRC)

The body may be either Luthite (plastic resin) or Wooden. Best way to work that out is to have a look inside the control cavity.
If it's as smooth as a baby's behind, or has any casting marks, I'd bet on Luthite.
Luthite is kind of yellowy-off-white, so if it has any buckle-rash or scratches, it'll show through.
If the body has any "dents", then it's probably wooden, as Luthite "chips" away, a bit like flint!

Either way, nice bass. If it doesn't have any cosmetic damage, well done for scoring a minter!

Had it round a mates today and he did a plug in test, the first 2 knobs control each pickup individually, the smaller one seems to be a master of the 2 pickup volumes, bringing both up or down, but the knob below it doesn't seem to do anything, I think contacting Mark is the best bet here.

Nice buy. If your a Pitchshifter fan you'll be happy to know that Johnny Carter is a good friend of mine (I've know him for about 10 years) and I'll be spending this Friday & Saturday in his studio recording my new EP (he's a recording engineer these days). I'll pass on your regards :)

Johnny has a very similar Ibanez Guitar with a Matt Black finish (a finish they never offered as standard) on the studio wall.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1318559' date='Jul 27 2011, 07:25 PM']Nice buy. If your a Pitchshifter fan you'll be happy to know that Johnny Carter is a good friend of mine (I've know him for about 10 years) and I'll be spending this Friday & Saturday in his studio recording my new EP (he's a recording engineer these days). I'll pass on your regards :)

Johnny has a very similar Ibanez Guitar with a Matt Black finish (a finish they never offered as standard) on the studio wall.[/quote]

I have followed them for years had a few drum lessons with Jason and was desperate to actually tour with them as I'm a tour truck driver but the company I work for mainly do outdoor festivals production and lighting not band work, maybe next time, to be honest what I paid for the bass I would have happily paid just to meet Mark and the phone calls.

If he ever try's to throw anything 'shifter away tell him there's someone out there willing to take it off his hands.
My friend was working alongside Jason at one point trying to develop a carbon fibre kit for touring, don't know if they ever made anyhi useable.

Looking at the link you posted and the images, I'd say you have the Drop-D bass. Which, according to the link, is an Ibanez SR900...
[attachment=85801:Screen_s...07.04.56.png]

I was a huge Pitch Shifter fan before they discovered samplers, after that I was a big Pitch Shifter fan.

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' post='1318936' date='Jul 28 2011, 07:05 AM']Looking at the link you posted and the images, I'd say you have the Drop-D bass. Which, according to the link, is an Ibanez SR900...[/quote]
The photos are swapped on that page - if you look at the description it says that the SR900 has black hardware. The OP's bass has silver so it's the custom one.

Another old Pitchshifter fan here. I'm jealous.

[quote name='Musky' post='1318944' date='Jul 28 2011, 07:33 AM']The photos are swapped on that page - if you look at the description it says that the SR900 has black hardware. The OP's bass has silver so it's the custom one.

Another old Pitchshifter fan here. I'm jealous.[/quote]

DOH!
I blame a lack of coffee...
:)