Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass 500 or 1000?

Teddy_Hitch

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1323177437' post='1460123']

The total lack of clean headroom is all in the preamp stage, the power section doesn't figure into it at all.
[/quote]

Thanks for the comment Mr F. I'm a bit confused though. Preamp stage is controlled by gain and output with the volume, so I assumed that the 1000w would play louder, cleaner?

Have I fallen for a common amp misconception? From what others said in the first page of this post I got the impression that a stronger power stage could give a louder clean tone.

The valve pre in the bass terror basically has the wrong valves, so it gets really dirty really easily unless you change them, it isn't pushing the power section to near its limit before the pre is clipping, even with master up and gain down. If you are pushing 500w to near its limits, you'll need serious cabs to be within their own limits.

also had a bash of one of these today with Mr vtypev4. cracking amp, shame it was through crashdown cabs as they sound rather cheap and cheerful and not much life to them.

I think my version of dirty must be a lot different as I found it only got dirty when the drive was at around 2 o clock. plenty of useable clean but if you are after sterile clean then I wouldn't buy this.

I'm positive a 500w version is enough for most of us.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1323203042' post='1460609']
also had a bash of one of these today with Mr vtypev4. cracking amp, shame it was through crashdown cabs as they sound rather cheap and cheerful and not much life to them.

I think my version of dirty must be a lot different as I found it only got dirty when the drive was at around 2 o clock. plenty of useable clean but if you are after sterile clean then I wouldn't buy this.

[i][b]I'm positive a 500w version is enough for most of us.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

Yeah Man!