Why become a member? ×

Orange Terror Bass 500 or 1000?

Teddy_Hitch

I've been looking for a new amp lately after my Trace let me down (long story, but turns out new ones are no match for older trace stuff!)

After purchasing an Ampeg svt 4x10 classic for a bargin and loving the sound I thought that I should go for the full Ampeg set up, mainly eyeing the SVT3-PRO and then getting another ampeg cab to match. However when I went to try out said amp out at the local music shop I was quite underwhelmed by the tone and sound level, being very similar to my current Trace Elliot head.

I moved on to an SVT7-PRO which sounded a lot nicer (imo) but I was still not hugely impressed, and the level coming out of the head was still not too loud.

After expressing my disappointment, the chap at the shop suggested the orange bass terror range, something I had initially thought was for guys who get hurty backs when carrying amps!

Least to say I was blown away, I love orange for guitar amps but I never knew the bass range, and especially the terror series, sounded so good - and LOUD!

So now (obviously) I want one, the trace elliot has to go in exchange for the terror, but the only problem is which terror to get?!

There is the 500 watt model or the 1000 watt, in the shop the chap put me through the 1000 watt version which was hell of a loud, but from what i'm reading online they both seem to really really loud!

I'm currently running an ampeg 4x10 and an ashdown 1x15 both rated at 8ohms with 200-300 watts in each (cant quite remember)

So my question is would I notice much difference between the 500 and the 1000 watt versions? is it worth the extra £100 thats between them?

let me know what you guys think!

As waynepunkdude says, you'd have to be in a monstrous venue for the 500 not to be loud enough. I've played one through a 4x10 and it was unbelievably loud! I play an Ashdown ABM500 RC through an 8x10 and i've never once been in a situation where that wasn't loud enough(including an outdoor biker rally the weekend where i wasn't going through the PA).

Ahhh nice, the guy in the shop said "yeah the 1000 has some extra legs over the 500" but if what you're saying is right then it looks like im going for the 500!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I would have honestly bought the 1000 otherwise! £100 doesnt seem a lot between them so it was worth asking!

[quote name='Dubs' post='1315962' date='Jul 25 2011, 05:13 PM']Unless you're trying to wake the dead, you won't need to take the 500 past the 4th volume notch...[/quote]

hahahah! this alone has made me want it even more!

going to order one tomorrow, now the choice is gak or DV247! lol

I had the 500w version. Using it through a Marshall VBC 412, with flat eq, my gain & volume settings were both on 2, for reasonably sized pub gigs (100/150 capacity). And we were a punk band - Pistols/Clash/Sham etc, so not quiet.

Save yourself the £100. Aside from blowing out the doors in the O2, I can`t imagine a use for the 1000w version!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1316375' date='Jul 25 2011, 09:59 PM']I had the 500w version. Using it through a Marshall VBC 412, with flat eq, my gain & volume settings were both on 2, for reasonably sized pub gigs (100/150 capacity). And we were a punk band - Pistols/Clash/Sham etc, so not quiet.

Save yourself the £100. Aside from blowing out the doors in the O2, I can`t imagine a use for the 1000w version![/quote]

I think a 1000W would be a cab destroyer, my cab is 1250W and I sometimes worry putting the OBT 500 through it too loud.

[quote name='dood' post='1316406' date='Jul 25 2011, 10:16 PM']1000W in 5Kg for less than 600 notes? Now that kinda spec is Dood territory![/quote]
I like your style my friend. Many of the reasons so far given not to buy - wake the dead, blow out doors - seem like great reasons to me.

[quote name='RichF' post='1316454' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:03 PM']I like your style my friend. Many of the reasons so far given not to buy - wake the dead, blow out doors - seem like great reasons to me.[/quote]

Plus, packing 1000W in the back end, there's a chance you'll be able to get closer to the kind of volume the 500 produces running flat out, but with the preamp still set to clean-ish, thereby making it a bit more versatile.

[quote name='RichF' post='1316454' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:03 PM']I like your style my friend. Many of the reasons so far given not to buy - wake the dead, blow out doors - seem like great reasons to me.[/quote]

Why thank you sir! Same here!

[quote name='Ed_S' post='1316458' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:15 PM']Plus, packing 1000W in the back end, there's a chance you'll be able to get closer to the kind of volume the 500 produces running flat out, but with the preamp still set to clean-ish, thereby making it a bit more versatile.[/quote]

Yep, I'm running a Hartke LH1000 which is just a stonkingly powerful and very clean head. I'm willing to put a few pennies on there being similarities in the OTB and LH preamps too.. tonestack Eq per chance?

Interestingly, it's actually an amp design I'd been looking for and way back when actually contacted Trace Elliot to ask why they hadn't paired their fantastic V-Type preamp with a 1000W D/H class power section. Iirc the reply was that it probably wouldn't sell. Seems they missed a trick. Both the LH and OTB are very popular (even tho the LH is a standard AB MOSFET)

So mr amp manufacturers, I like to lay down the gauntlet.. Let's cram all that in a 1u case please! (ok, so Hevos have already, and MarkBass managed 500w in the F1/F500).

[quote name='Ed_S' post='1316458' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:15 PM']Plus, packing 1000W in the back end, there's a chance you'll be able to get closer to the kind of volume the 500 produces running flat out, but with the preamp still set to clean-ish, thereby making it a bit more versatile.[/quote]

Yes, that is a valid point. With the 1000w version, you will have much more clean head-room to work with. One of the things I`ve read on here is that many change the pre-amp valves to get more clean head-room on the 500w version.

For info tho, my Gain on 2, Volume on 2 on my OTB was a clean sound (just minimal break-up). If I put up the volume to 3, I completely decimated the volume of the rest of the band - suppose my Marshall 412 helped with that.

But don`t go thinking that the 500w version doesn`t do clean - it does.

[quote name='dood' post='1316510' date='Jul 26 2011, 12:53 AM']Yep, I'm running a Hartke LH1000 which is just a stonkingly powerful and very clean head. I'm willing to put a few pennies on there being similarities in the OTB and LH preamps too.. tonestack Eq per chance?[/quote]

Good call - I had an LH1000 for a while when they first came out, and now you mention it there's a fair bit of similarity. Sadly I think there must have been QC issues in the batch I bought from, as the first one popped and whistled to itself (even with the tube swapped for a known-good) and the second one that replaced it had the front racking handles screwed on upside down! Back to the point, however, you'd hope that with the OTB1000 being a single power stage it might have a more linear response on the master, where the bridged LH1000 has that volume 'jump' in the middle of the dial.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1316557' date='Jul 26 2011, 07:21 AM']Yes, that is a valid point. With the 1000w version, you will have much more clean head-room to work with. One of the things I`ve read on here is that many change the pre-amp valves to get more clean head-room on the 500w version.

For info tho, my Gain on 2, Volume on 2 on my OTB was a clean sound (just minimal break-up). If I put up the volume to 3, I completely decimated the volume of the rest of the band - suppose my Marshall 412 helped with that.

But don`t go thinking that the 500w version doesn`t do clean - it does.[/quote]

Oh aye, don't get me wrong, I've got an OTB500 and I get a clean-enough tone out of it at absolutely ample volume, even with the stock tubes in it. But if the 1000 can put the extra juice to work in letting me get even cleaner tone at the same volume, I'm game to give it a try. Maybe I just want one and this is phase one of the justification process :)

[quote name='Teddy_Hitch' post='1315641' date='Jul 25 2011, 12:46 PM']...I moved on to an SVT7-PRO... ...the level coming out of the head was still not too loud...[/quote]

One of the risks of comparing amps in a shop is that many bassists will turn an amp up to 2/10 or 9 o'clock on the volume knob and compare how loud that is to their current amp (or some of the other amps in the shop) with the volume knob in the same position. Unfortunately that doesn't tell you anything about how powerful the amp.

Every old Trace Elliot amp I've come across sounds incredibly loud with volume knob in that position but you can't turn it much more without it distorting, whilst the old Euphonic Audio amps would sound very quiet at 9 o'clock but you could turn them up to past 3 o'clock before they distorted, by which point they were (unsurprisingly) louder than lower rated TE amps! Just something to bear in mind when amp shopping.

A comparable thing with cars would be how hard a car accelerates in a given gear with the accelerator pressed down a certain amount - the accelerator linkage and interface with the engine electronics has far more bearing on how fast the acceleration is than the power:weight ratio of the car. Only full power (throttle fully open) testing will tell you which car is quickest! I suppose another way to look at it would be like saying that a Suzuki Liana is quicker than a Ferrari 458 because you saw the former overtake the latter on the motorway once... :)

I don't think the Hartke LH and Orange Terror preamps are similar in any way - the former has a topology with tons of headroom and the latter doesn't!

[quote name='Ed_S' post='1316580' date='Jul 26 2011, 08:07 AM'].....Back to the point, however, you'd hope that with the OTB1000 being a single power stage it might have a more linear response on the master, where the bridged LH1000 has that volume 'jump' in the middle of the dial.[/quote]

I think that's possibly more to do with the design of the preamp vs the power amp choice, I have to test the theory and see if the volume jump happens through the DI. To be honest, using my basses with really high output pickups, I'd be lucky to need my amp above 3! Never needed to turn my stack up any further as that was plenty!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1316797' date='Jul 26 2011, 11:18 AM']I don't think the Hartke LH and Orange Terror preamps are similar in any way - the former has a topology with tons of headroom and the latter doesn't![/quote]

I haven't tried an OTB to be honest so wasn't aware that the headroom was capped, so my thoughts were that it would be the similar fender valve & passive tone stack/ alembic pre design. if it were a similar pre, then maybe (without getting too techy) say using a lower HT would allow it to compress or drive earlier, amongst other design tricks. I'd love to see a schematic out of pure interest!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1316797' date='Jul 26 2011, 11:18 AM']I don't think the Hartke LH and Orange Terror preamps are similar in any way - the former has a topology with tons of headroom and the latter doesn't![/quote]

Perhaps my second LH was electrically duff as well as badly assembled, then, as it certainly started to crunch at about the same gain level as my Terror does now. It was actually that very characteristic of the sound that sealed its fate and got it swapped for an HA5500.

[quote name='dood' post='1316843' date='Jul 26 2011, 11:53 AM']I think that's possibly more to do with the design of the preamp vs the power amp choice, I have to test the theory and see if the volume jump happens through the DI. To be honest, using my basses with really high output pickups, I'd be lucky to need my amp above 3! Never needed to turn my stack up any further as that was plenty![/quote]

I regularly took the LH to about 7 because I was using a fairly sluggish 8ohm cab. I always put the jump down to the power stage since it relied solely on the position of the master volume at any given preamp settings, but I realise there's potentially greater interaction so I'm prepared to stand corrected.

• 4 months later...

Thread revival!

I'm also trying to decide if 1000W is worth the extra cash. From what I've read, all 500W users are happy with the power. I like the ability to dial in a bit of grit, but also like to play loud and clean. I expect the 1000 would give me a little more clean headroom?

Trying one out tomorrow, but would appreciate any feedback members can offer.

Ta

[quote name='lollington' timestamp='1323127108' post='1459711']
Thread revival!

I'm also trying to decide if 1000W is worth the extra cash. From what I've read, all 500W users are happy with the power. I like the ability to dial in a bit of grit, but also like to play loud and clean. I expect the 1000 would give me a little more clean headroom?

Trying one out tomorrow, but would appreciate any feedback members can offer.

Ta
[/quote]

The total lack of clean headroom is all in the preamp stage, the power section doesn't figure into it at all.