Why become a member? ×

Fretboard Ding

Hit&Run

One of my basses fell off its stand on a poorly lit & pokey stage last night. I noticed it had gone out of tune but didn't think much else of it.

When I started playing the bass something felt wrong and I noticed the fall must've taken a chunk out of the fretboard, on the E string edge.

It doesn't really affect the playability much, but aesthetically I wouldn't mind sorting it out. Does anyone have any experience of how much it would cost to sort something like this out, or would it be prohibitively expensive?

As always, I welcome any incoming wisdom.

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='1315257' date='Jul 24 2011, 03:50 PM']Does anyone have any experience of how much it would cost to sort something like this out, or would it be prohibitively expensive?

As always, I welcome any incoming wisdom.[/quote]

If someone came to me with a problem like that I would probably inlay a new piece of rosewood over the dent. I'd probably charge in the neighborhood of $30-50. As long as who ever you took it to did a [i]really[/i] great job, I wouldn't shy away from as much as $90 or so even.