Why become a member? ×

All tube heads: what's out there?

Beedster

I'm using an Agi DB659 into a Peavey Classic 120 at present and loving the all-tube tone. I was looking to replace the Peavey with a Mesa Strategy but now think I might look at a combined pre/power as opposed to separate units. OK, I might just stick with the gear above as it would take something pretty special to get better tone, but was wondering what else out there is, well, sufficiently special to warrant a good look and possibly a few quid :)

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='1314109' date='Jul 23 2011, 07:09 PM']I'm using an Agi DB359 into a Peavey Classic 120 at present and loving the all-tube tone. I was looking to replace the Peavey with a Mesa Strategy but now think I might look at a combined pre/power as opposed to separate units. OK, I might just stick with the gear above as it would take something pretty special to get better tone, but was wondering what else out there is, well, sufficiently special to warrant a good look and possibly a few quid :)[/quote]
Have you ever tried an Orange AD200B. Not much of a range of tones but so syrupy and rich. And I would have thought bang in line with your taste, Chris

[quote name='Wooks79' post='1314226' date='Jul 23 2011, 08:58 PM']Similar thread not too long back -
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=144009&hl=Valve"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...09&hl=Valve[/url]

Helpful list, then you've got the older 2nd hand and vintage stuff.[/quote]

Cheers mate, interesting thread, although it's the older stuff I'm interested in really (Mesa, Ampeg, etc).

C

[quote name='Clarky' post='1314126' date='Jul 23 2011, 07:29 PM']Have you ever tried an Orange AD200B. Not much of a range of tones but so syrupy and rich. And I would have thought bang in line with your taste, Chris[/quote]

Cheers Clarky, it's something I've looked at, have you owned one?

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1314212' date='Jul 23 2011, 08:45 PM']You really don't want to stick with that Peavey Classic :)[/quote]

LOL, thanks for the unbiased advice Mike :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1314266' date='Jul 23 2011, 09:50 PM']Cheers Clarky, it's something I've looked at, have you owned one?[/quote]
Yep, superb sound but definitely old school. I sold mine as at close to 50 pounds it was too much for my glass back

I'd be very tempted to stick with the 359 and maybe push it through an agi 728 - they come up occasionally in the US at decent prices (carrying them is a bigger problem than sourcing). I can't remember if you've had a db750 - hybrid of course but not a bad compromise as a one box solution. After a lot of messing about over the years, my own choice (if I could possibly move it) would be an agi 680 into a 728 with an Alembic sf2 in the loop of the 680. Monstrous.

Edited by lozbass

[quote name='Clarky' post='1314269' date='Jul 23 2011, 09:55 PM']Yep, superb sound but definitely old school. I sold mine as at close to 50 pounds it was too much for my glass back[/quote]
Mine doesnt get gigged much but the tone is fantastic.

Simple, fat, warm, bass tone. Also grinds like a beast should you want hair on your notes.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1314269' date='Jul 23 2011, 09:55 PM']Yep, superb sound but definitely old school. I sold mine as at close to 50 pounds it was too much for my glass back[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1314627' date='Jul 24 2011, 11:59 AM']Mine doesnt get gigged much but the tone is fantastic.

Simple, fat, warm, bass tone. Also grinds like a beast should you want hair on your notes.[/quote]

I like heavy, it humbles other band members when they try to lift my gear. In fact, I've got a Precision that weighs almost as much as that! If the TB is anything to go by, the Orange is worth keeping ion mind for sure.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='1314271' date='Jul 23 2011, 09:57 PM']Tech 21 VT Bass pedal.

Worth it's weight in gold.[/quote]

I've got the programmable version and it is indeed awesome. I'd rather it were a backup that a first choice.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1314347' date='Jul 23 2011, 11:43 PM']Come over and try mine if you want.[/quote]

I can hear you from here mate (only 10 miles after all).

Thanks, I may take you up on that, are you gigging in Canters soon?

[quote name='lozbass' post='1314465' date='Jul 24 2011, 09:12 AM']I'd be very tempted to stick with the 359 and maybe push it through an agi 728 - they come up occasionally in the US at decent prices (carrying them is a bigger problem than sourcing). I can't remember if you've had a db750 - hybrid of course but not a bad compromise as a one box solution. After a lot of messing about over the years, my own choice (if I could possibly move it) would be an agi 680 into a 728 with an Alembic sf2 in the loop of the 680. Monstrous.[/quote]

A few guys have suggested the 728. I must admit, the Agi 659 is a phenomenal piece of kit, and I think my first preference at present would be a really good all-tube power amp, although these seem to be rarer every year. I'm almost tempted to source another Peavey classic 120 and run two of them from the 659 (although the Peavey has great tone and is very loud, I'm currently using the rig in question in a pretty loud 'power trio', and I think I'd like a little more headroom, as I imagine that at gigs I will be mostly going through backline only (the reason I was after the Boogie Strategy was that I wanted to run 210 and 115 from different channels). This of course, would be a heavy/manly/testosterone rig in the truest sense!

Anyone know where I can try a 728?

Can I extend the question in the original post to all-tube power amps also?

Edited by Beedster

There's always my rig up for sale .. no need to worry about biasing with this beauty not bad size/weight for all tube :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=123246&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=123246&hl=[/url]

[quote name='sifi2112' post='1314701' date='Jul 24 2011, 01:00 PM']There's always my rig up for sale .. no need to worry about biasing with this beauty not bad size/weight for all tube :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=123246&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=123246&hl=[/url][/quote]

That head looks lovely - and knowing Markbass amps, I'm sure the tone is equally impressive - but it's a bit out of my current price range mate :)

[quote name='Wooks79' post='1314833' date='Jul 24 2011, 03:30 PM']My Sound City B120 mkIV is currently up for sale, just in case that's the type of valve goodness you're looking for?[/quote]

That's lovely, my only worry is that it might be a little underpowered. Does it do loud and clean?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1314884' date='Jul 24 2011, 04:35 PM']2nd August at the Beer Cart.[/quote]

Cheers mate, I'll try to pop down

[quote name='JTUK' post='1314891' date='Jul 24 2011, 04:47 PM']Chris...let me hear this DB359 if you are thinking of selling[/quote]

Will do JT EDIT it's actually the DB659, my bad :)

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='1316479' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:42 PM']That's lovely, my only worry is that it might be a little underpowered. Does it do loud and clean?[/quote]

If they don't, something is wrong. Usually that something is an ECC83 in the phase splitter position which makes them do loud and dirty. Should be an ECC81, then it is clean, and loud. 6 EL34 is 120w with a lot of headroom.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1317068' date='Jul 26 2011, 02:01 PM']Thanks for the above guys, looks like I'll be paring my Aguilar DB659 with a Mesa Strategy 400. It's fair to say that I'm experiencing a serious degree of anticipation about this state of affairs :)

C[/quote]

I like the sound of this....

Personally, if I ended up with a pre like this, which is my alternate to the DB amp route
I'd put a decent SS power amp behind it and go for the DB750 type thing on weight alone, but let me know where you are gigging it.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1317101' date='Jul 26 2011, 02:22 PM']I like the sound of this....

Personally, if I ended up with a pre like this, which is my alternate to the DB amp route
I'd put a decent SS power amp behind it and go for the DB750 type thing on weight alone, but let me know where you are gigging it.[/quote]

I'm so impressed by the Agi pre that I did consider a DB750. However, playing the 659 through the Peavey tube power amp has reminded me just how glorious an all-tube rigs sounds and feels.

And when you're as bad a bass player as I am, tone and feel are everything :)

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='1317143' date='Jul 26 2011, 02:55 PM']That and making peoples ears bleed so they can't hear all those wrong notes :)[/quote]

I remember my old Acoustics lecturer describing post-war attempts at sonic weaponry and it all seemed a bit far fetched (and it seems Hawkwind got as close to perfecting it as anyone else). Then, a few months later whilst standing next to a huge dub sound system at Notting Hill, I realised just what bass can do to your organs :lol:

And IIRC Steff still has a Mesa 1x18 for sale on here :)

So you got your mesa power amp after all? If you ever wanna pick up a monster of a power amp My Eden may well be up for sale. Its got loads of power right down to 2ohms :)

So the Peavey is up for sale then? :)

Edited by krispn