Why become a member? ×

Rotosound Nexus Black Coated Type 52

AC87

I recently purchased these strings from Amazon for £24. I wanted to try something different, as I have almost exclusively been using rotosound swing bass 66 roundwound strings for as long as I can remember. These caught my eye because they were exactly what I was looking for, they were different. I wasn't looking for a life changing experience, or the best strings in the world, I bought these knowing I was taking a risk and dammit if I didn't like them then I would keep them on for as long as possible just to get my moneys worth anyway.
[u]
All out of 10:[/u]

[b]Brightness - 7 [/b]
These strings are advertised as a good alternatives to steel strings delivering a bright sound, and they're not lying.
[b]Tone - 6[/b]
I am yet to play with my band so I am keen to hear how well it cuts through at rehersals and at a gig. Just from practicing by myself I was quite impressed with the mids, the lows were ok but not too sure about the highs. I am hoping the strings have a good presence at gigs.
[b]Feel - 9[/b]
For me this was the biggest and most noticeable difference. The finish is very smooth and feels really nice on the fret hand. With steel strings you can really feel them digging into your fingers when they are new, but these felt so good - moving around the fret board, doing slides, runs, scales, all felt marvellous.
[b]Look - 10[/b]
They're black strings, I think that's pretty badass. I'm not a metal head or anything (not that there's anything wrong with that), but I think these strings look awesome. Now I can tell people my G string is black :)
[b]Longevity - N/A [/b]
I will get back to you on this one. However, a few tiny specs of the coat have come off in places already and I expect tiny flakes will continue to come off during rehearsals and gigs. So as far as the coat goes, I don't imagine that it will stay perfect for very long, although so far this is only noticable when you are up close.

All in all the strings are silky smooth, provided enough brightness to keep me happy, and sounded good enough so far. If like me, you fancied a change and felt like doing something a bit different then why not try these out for a while?

This has been my first review if i've left anything out or could improve this review in any way please let me know thank you for reading :)