Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Compact Arrived

nottswarwick

[quote name='Sibob' post='1311902' date='Jul 21 2011, 07:07 PM']....I'd prefer the side-stack live (as I already raise my cabs off the ground using a flightcase), but I will say that the handles prevent a flush stack, there's obviously an easy solution which would involve the top cab being marginally tilted....[/quote]
I prefer the look of the side stack. I'd get a set of 4 cab feet from Maplins, about £3 for a set. You can screw them on or just place them where you want. I do this if I use my 210's on their ends or 1 210 with the 112.

I'm glad the cab is working well in Notts set up.

So, it looks like people who don't own a piece of equipment [i]can[/i] come up with good advice and recommendations after all!

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' post='1312483' date='Jul 22 2011, 10:49 AM']I'm glad the cab is working well in Notts set up.

So, it looks like people who don't own a piece of equipment [i]can[/i] come up with good advice and recommendations after all![/quote]

I don't own one yet but I have had long email chats with Alex and done lots of visual auditioning, I'll be going down to Camden next weekend I think to do some audible auditioning and trade my PJB for a GB Shuttle 9.0

[quote name='chris_b' post='1312483' date='Jul 22 2011, 10:49 AM']I'm glad the cab is working well in Notts set up.

So, it looks like people who don't own a piece of equipment [i]can[/i] come up with good advice and recommendations after all![/quote]

Not sure I get that reference re the recommendations etc? However, it is working well so far. Needs gigging though. And I will only fully recommend it after this - otherwise it goes back under Alex's policy. We shall see,

[quote name='chris_b' post='1312470' date='Jul 22 2011, 10:42 AM']I prefer the look of the side stack. I'd get a set of 4 cab feet from Maplins, about £3 for a set. You can screw them on or just place them where you want. I do this if I use my 210's on their ends or 1 210 with the 112.[/quote]

Cheers for this Chris, I'll look into it

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1312695' date='Jul 22 2011, 01:28 PM']Not sure I get that reference re the recommendations etc? However, it is working well so far. Needs gigging though. And I will only fully recommend it after this - otherwise it goes back under Alex's policy. We shall see,[/quote]

I think you'll be happy with it out gigging, gigs are where it comes into its own, and my ABMII 500 sounds great with it too!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1311902' date='Jul 21 2011, 07:07 PM']I'd prefer the side-stack live (as I already raise my cabs off the ground using a flightcase), but I will say that the handles prevent a flush stack, there's obviously an easy solution which would involve the top cab being marginally tilted (no bad thing), so I'm not fussed.[/quote]

or possibly a nice little recessed space for the handles to fit in to, also providing a modicom of support?

Not sure if there is enough depth to the cab bodies though? Over to Alex...

[quote name='solo4652' post='1312854' date='Jul 22 2011, 03:40 PM']Quick question:

I have a Compact. Tuesday's gig is in a biggish bar, 150-200 noisy people. Given the size of the Compact, would you leave it on the floor or put on top of something?

Steve[/quote]

Will you be able to hear yourself over the rest of the stage noise if it's on the floor? have you got PA backup?

have a look at:
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/stage-or-floor-coupling.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/technical-informa...or-coupling.htm[/url]

[quote name='andydye' post='1312882' date='Jul 22 2011, 03:56 PM']Will you be able to hear yourself over the rest of the stage noise if it's on the floor? have you got PA backup?

have a look at:
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/stage-or-floor-coupling.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/technical-informa...or-coupling.htm[/url][/quote]

Thanks. Having read that, it seems like I'll need to put the Compact on a beer crate.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1312695' date='Jul 22 2011, 01:28 PM']Not sure I get that reference re the recommendations etc? However, it is working well so far. Needs gigging though. And I will only fully recommend it after this - otherwise it goes back under Alex's policy. We shall see,[/quote]

Back in your what to get thread us non owners of the compact took a brief, slight bashing for recommending something we didnt own.

Glad your happy with it Chris. It looks bigger than i expected. Thats a good thing i guess, and part of the reason it sounds (apparently ;-) so good.

When is the first gig with it?

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1313081' date='Jul 22 2011, 06:47 PM']If it's not loud enough I'll get a midget to go on top.[/quote]

I don't think you'll need a Midget. :)

I did buy a Midget about a year ago to use for bigger rooms with my Compact but I've rarely needed it. It's been fun using the pair though and the sound is massive. Also, I use the Midget alone in smaller pubs and for rehearsals. The Midget is as loud as the Compact but not as creamy and deep. I prefer the Compact but I love the Midget and it's a very useful cab to own.

What it means is that I have three rigs, small = Midget, medium = Compact, big = Midget + Compact.

Highly recommended.

Frank.

Ok, last night was in a fairly large hall, typical wedding gig. Set up on stage, with PA support.

It sounded great, plenty of top bite, big lows and good mids. Really it was great, nothing else to say really. I could hear myself in a loud band, and the PA did it's job.

Not as big sounding as my abm410, but not far off at all.

It would nor have quite been enough without Pa support, but everything was in the Pa as we always do and it was a big hall.

Good stuff

Sounds about right...

My S12T is nicer than my single EBS 410 but not quite as nice as two of them stacked together... However two EBS proline 410's weigh close to 200 lbs versus 40 odd for the S12T ...

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1314838' date='Jul 24 2011, 03:36 PM']Ok, last night was in a fairly large hall, typical wedding gig. Set up on stage, with PA support.

It sounded great, plenty of top bite, big lows and good mids. Really it was great, nothing else to say really. I could hear myself in a loud band, and the PA did it's job.

Not as big sounding as my abm410, but not far off at all.

It would nor have quite been enough without Pa support, but everything was in the Pa as we always do and it was a big hall.

Good stuff[/quote]

Nice one Chris.

Glad it worked out for you. Im probably going to go for one, its just working out the logistics of getting it.

Im at a gig at the moment and my 1212L sounds so in your face, without sounding smooth or deep. Ive got both heads hooked up and the Streamliner is doing a better job, ive got the 660hz cut quite a bit as well as the lows but its not much better than the F1.

I did one gig with 2 x Compacts and was told by the rest of the band to get rid of one as the on stage volume was too loud. Thankfully I only had one of the cabs on loan anyway. I did turn down, but I do feel you need to drive these cabs to get the most from them. Tickling them lost a lot of the quality of the tone. FWIW dave_bass5, our sound guy says he preferred the tone from my old Schroeder 410L as opposed to the Compact.

I've got Largo's old 410L, which I went to after a 1212L. It's definately still got that schroeder mid presence, but not nearly as much as the 1212L IMO - you can easily dial in a fat, bottom heavy tone that sits well in a mix without it sounding harsh. It's a one cab solution - not massive compared to a lot of 4x10s, but when I had to do an outdoor show with no PA support, it really cut the mustard.

It's a one man carry over short distance, but I'd like to fit some wheels at some point. It's far and away the best cab I've owned, without doubt.

I always wanted a 410L but never really got around to getting one. I always thought my 1212L was ideal (and its worked really well over the past few years).
i did borrow one for one gig and was very, very impressed with it. I preferred the tone over the 1212L, even when my 1212L was still in favour with me.

[quote name='Wil' post='1315572' date='Jul 25 2011, 11:46 AM']I tell you what though, I do miss the portability of the 1212L sometimes for small, low volume gigs. The 410L, much as I love it, is overkill for a lot of situations with PA support.[/quote]

Yeah, the size of the 1212L is perfect IME. 99% of my gigs are without PA support and ive never had to turn my head up past halfway, to me this means im loud enough (normally too loud gong by some of the recordings) so this has meant no need for a bigger cab. The biggest cab ive ever owned was a Epifani UL212 and that was nowhere near as loud as my 1212L, and i really had to push that do to the lack of punchy mids.
This experience is whats making me a bit cautious about changing cabs, although the posts ive read recently about the Compact have put my mind at ease.

In the past ive felt that as long as i can be heard without having to push my rig to distortion or too hard im happy, but now i realise i want a different tone and no matter how many heads i go through its the cab thats the restricting factor.

Even if i do need to turn up more with a Compact im sure ill have plenty of volume but a more pleasant tone as well.