Why become a member? ×

Overwater Aspiration Contemporary J4

dmccombe7

I'm really interested in the new Overwater Tanglewood Contemporary J4 basses after seeing the 5 string piccies on BC.
Can't find a local dealer that has one in stock so does anyone have any sound samples of the bass.

They look stunning in blue with maple necks.

Cheers
Dave

With respect, I do not see how sound samples will assist you, as there are too many variables, eg strings, tone settings, amps, computer settings, computer speakers etc. to give a reliable indication of sounds.

All I would say is the active tone circuits on these offer a huge palette of sounds, meeting most needs. Also, they are beautifully finished and are well constructed.

Im just getting used to my new J5...getting there and well worth it.

Thanks Neilb
Appreciate your comments and agree to a certain extent however some basses have a specific sound that will distinguish them from other basses.
A sound sample will give me a very basic feel for that specific basses tone ie
does it sound like a jazz, precision, MM, Alembic or Rik.

I can see your point though. There are many variables.
Putting that aside does the Overwater J5 sound similar to any other particular bass.

IMO a jazz is quite mid sounding, precision more bottom ended, a Rik top end and MM a combination of bass / treble boost sound. These IMO are very, very basic breakdowns of how i think they sound. Please don't be offended if you don't agree. It was only for guidance purposes.
Does your Overwater J5 fit into any of the above more than others or does it sound more like any other specific bass that you can think off.

Please remember i have no way of trying the bass quite simply because no dealers near where i live and it would be approx 2hr drive each way to my nearest Bass shop.
I do already have a custom Progress and know Chris May puts a lot of effort into what he does and as you point out the build quality isn't really in question. My worry is i buy another bass that sound a bit like my existing Jazz which isn't really what i want at the moment. Variety is the spice of life.

Hopefully you can help and offer some advice on the tonal qualities based on your own experience so far.
Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

I might get a chance next week to visit Newcastle where someone has said there is a shop in the Metro that has a J5 and that would answer all my question i guess.

Thanks and Enjoy the J5 - it is a very nice looking bass.

Cheers
Dave
:)

Here's a sound sample I did a few weeks ago, it's quite basic but should give you the answers you're looking for. I think it starts with neck pickup then goes both, and bridge, all EQ flat. I don't think it sounds much like a traditional Jazz bass, it's far too hifi and you can't really get a passive style tone from it, but the clarity of tone is exactly what I got from my Progress (which I traded in for this and a G&L L2000).

The EQ is very powerful for a 9v preamp (dare I say too much ?) and only minor adjustments can be made before it becomes overpowering. The centres for the treble pot and the treble boost switch are different so this gives a few more options.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=83871"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=83871[/url]

[quote name='Machines' post='1312313' date='Jul 22 2011, 07:57 AM']Here's a sound sample I did a few weeks ago, it's quite basic but should give you the answers you're looking for. I think it starts with neck pickup then goes both, and bridge, all EQ flat. I don't think it sounds much like a traditional Jazz bass, it's far too hifi and you can't really get a passive style tone from it, but the clarity of tone is exactly what I got from my Progress (which I traded in for this and a G&L L2000).

The EQ is very powerful for a 9v preamp (dare I say too much ?) and only minor adjustments can be made before it becomes overpowering. The centres for the treble pot and the treble boost switch are different so this gives a few more options.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=83871"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=83871[/url][/quote]

Thanks Machines
It sounds very similar to the Progress and that's what i was hoping for.
Its not as "dull" as the jazz and has more of a slight edge to it without the "zingy" high end of the MM.

Appreciate the reply and i can see an order going in soon.
I'm hoping to visit Newcastle Mon next week and get a chance to play one. All going well order one up from somewhere. Its the J4 i'm looking for.

Cheers
Dave

Yeah - the pickups and EQ are very alike the UK version in basic tone, except the UK EQ seems less in your face. Not zingy ? Well not flat, but with some treble boost it is VERY zingy, the harmonics ring like bells. Thankfully it can be well controlled, I particularly like the bridge pickup soloed and treble rolled off 100%, awesome.

[quote name='Machines' post='1312387' date='Jul 22 2011, 09:36 AM']Yeah - the pickups and EQ are very alike the UK version in basic tone, except the UK EQ seems less in your face. Not zingy ? Well not flat, but with some treble boost it is VERY zingy, the harmonics ring like bells. Thankfully it can be well controlled, I particularly like the bridge pickup soloed and treble rolled off 100%, awesome.[/quote]

I can tell you are just lovin this bass.
Thanks
Dave
:) :)

[quote name='Machines' post='1312313' date='Jul 22 2011, 07:57 AM']Here's a sound sample I did a few weeks ago, it's quite basic but should give you the answers you're looking for. I think it starts with neck pickup then goes both, and bridge, all EQ flat. I don't think it sounds much like a traditional Jazz bass, it's far too hifi and you can't really get a passive style tone from it, but the clarity of tone is exactly what I got from my Progress (which I traded in for this and a G&L L2000).

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=83871"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach...st&id=83871[/url][/quote]

Just a quick point with regard to the out-put of the pre-amps fitted in the Tanglewaters - which are based on our UK pre-amps and designed by our colleague John East (of J-Retro fame); though in this case with a 2 band rather than 3 band EQ. These pre-amps have two trim-pots on one of the boards that can be accessed by removing the control cavity cover plate on the back of the bass.

These trim-pots can be used to adjust the output gain of the individual pick-ups. The only thing to remember is that because you are accessing from the back – they work in reverse to a normal pot; so in order to reduce the gain – turn the trim pots fully clockwise (which takes them back to 'unity' and then increase equally until the desired output is reached – and then make any fine adjustments to 'balance' the pick-ups by ear so they are both of similar volume.

This allows the individual player to set the output level of their bass to balance with the input gain of the pre-amp in their amp, desk or whatever.

Any queries or problems – give me a call or e-mail us through the website +44 (0)1228 590591 www.overwaterbasses.com

Chris

[quote name='neilb' post='1313779' date='Jul 23 2011, 01:26 PM']Just a visual tease for you!!

[/quote]

I HATE YOU Neilb !!!!!! :)

Glasgow today and neither Merchant City Music or Guitar Guitar have any.
Newcastle on Monday - will try Soundslive and a music shop in the Metro ? Don't know the name of it but sure I'll find it.

I'll try one of these yet. Failing that I'll order blindly and probably hope for the best although knowing Chris at Overwater I won't be disappointed.
I just can't get away from "try before you buy"

Here's hoping cause that is one very eye catching bass and with a killer tone to match.
Mmmmmm - drooling again. And that's without a drink yet.

Thanks Neilb
Appreciate the photo. :)

Dave
:lol:

[quote]I'll try one of these yet. Failing that I'll order blindly and probably hope for the best although knowing Chris at Overwater I won't be disappointed.
I just can't get away from "try before you buy"[/quote]

Be aware there is some variation in the quality of the flamed tops - it's definitely worth seeing it (decent pics are fine) before you order.

Here's mine with it's new friends:

[quote name='Machines' post='1314022' date='Jul 23 2011, 06:04 PM']Be aware there is some variation in the quality of the flamed tops - it's definitely worth seeing it (decent pics are fine) before you order.

Here's mine with it's new friends:

[/quote]

Hi Machines
You guys are quite simply extracting the urine now with all these gorgeous piccies of your basses.
That's a very nice line up.
Never really paid much attention to MM or G&L basses but that's nice too.
Agree that best to see the bass before buying and that is my preferred option however I'm not having much luck finding one at moment to get a try and make sure its exactly what I'm looking for.

So far all comments are positive and yours and Neilb keep sending me pics just to tease.

Very much appreciated though.

Cheers
Dave
:lol: :) :)

Just to let you guys know that after all the teasing you did i eventually managed to try a J4 and whow !
I've now ordered one.

Brilliant quality, fantastic sound. Virtually same as my Progress.

Severe GAS until i actually get it.

Whoo Hoo !!!

Thanks to Neilb & Machines for the pics and samples which were the deciding factor. I kinda knew the quality would be good and the sound from Overwaters are always pretty high standard.

Excited to say the least.

Cheers
Dave
:lol: :) :)

[quote name='dmccombe7' post='1321484' date='Jul 30 2011, 05:13 PM']Just to let you guys know that after all the teasing you did i eventually managed to try a J4 and whow !
I've now ordered one.

Brilliant quality, fantastic sound. Virtually same as my Progress.

Severe GAS until i actually get it.

Whoo Hoo !!!

Thanks to Neilb & Machines for the pics and samples which were the deciding factor. I kinda knew the quality would be good and the sound from Overwaters are always pretty high standard.

Excited to say the least.

Cheers
Dave
:lol: :) :)[/quote]

Excellent Dave....enjoy mate!!

quote> I do not see how sound samples will assist you, as there are too many variables, eg strings, tone settings, amps, computer settings, computer speakers etc. >quote..

???? a certain bass will sound like THAT bass.. no matter what you put it through.. sorry my day has started off bad.. i will prob delete this later

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Machines' post='1321504' date='Jul 30 2011, 05:28 PM']Nice one, how long till you get it ?[/quote]

2 weeks delivery so already champing at the bit. :)

This Basschat site certainly gets you motivated to say the least.
Never thought i would be doing all this again at my age and actually enjoying it this time around.
New basses, new amps, new bands, learning full songs rather than just the tricky parts, meeting new people, rehearsal studios again, PA & lighting again. Aaahh so many memories. :)
Most of down to Basschat otherwise i probably wouldn't have bothered making the effort.

Brill !!! :D

[quote]BUBINGA5 ?
quote> I do not see how sound samples will assist you, as there are too many variables, eg strings, tone settings, amps, computer settings, computer speakers etc. >quote..

???? a certain bass will sound like THAT bass.. no matter what you put it through.. sorry my day has started off bad.. i will prob delete this later[/quote]

Not sure what your post is about. Maybe you've deleted some of it already ?? :P
I get bad days too so hopefully its picked up and improved a bit since this morning. :lol:

Cheers
Dave
:lol:

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1322343' date='Jul 31 2011, 06:36 PM']Good choice Dave. Merchant city had a 5`er in just after they came out and it was well tasty. Luckily the credit card is maxed out or I would have taken it with me there and then.

Jez[/quote]

Thanks Jez
That would be the one i went in to try out and it was gone.
Seems like they are being snapped up very quickly across the patch.
I would have to say that they are unbelievable value for money.
Anything Chris from Overwater does is pretty high quality.

Cheers
Dave
:)

• 2 weeks later...

[color="#0000FF"]Wasn't sure how to attach a link but added this to "crez5150" thread earlier this morning so you can stop the teasing[/color]

Well guys I finally got my Contemporary J4.
FAN-BLOOMIN-TASTIC.
I can't belive these basses only cost approx £600. In comparison to other basses in that price range these blow them away.

Everything about these basses has already been stated many times in this thread but i have to re-iterate again.
Build quality 2nd to none, sound is full and pretty much what i needed for a rock covers band, playability is Overwaters trade mark, they are unbelievable to play.
When you boost the bass on this thing it really kicks out - whow. !!!
At the moment I'm running everything flat and i just love it.

I've only just got it and still getting used to the options this bass can provide.
I reckon it sounds more towards the Stingrays and G&L's with a solid Lo end and clear Hi end with the bass set flat.

I've attached a photo although was taken very early this morning so maybe not the best quality but isn't she a stunner anyway.

[attachment=86954:Overwater_J4.jpg]

A perfect match for my Progress.

Cheers
Dave