Why become a member? ×

Slapping a 5 string

Dropzone

[quote name='Dropzone' post='1309029' date='Jul 19 2011, 12:39 PM']I am thinking of learning how to slap, but play 5 string basses. How much more difficult is it?

Ta

Mike[/quote]

It's no more difficult,unless you are used to twatting the E string like most slap players.
I slap on a 5 all the time.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1309044' date='Jul 19 2011, 12:44 PM']It's no more difficult,unless you are used to twatting the E string like most slap players.[/quote]

They get around that by tuning E-C.
Then the 'E' string twatting is not affected.

Garry

I'am a guy with rather long fingers, and I play on 5 strings only - what helped me A LOT in slaping a 5string is lowering G string - it gives me easier acsess to D. It might sound stupid, but my slapping improved a lot after i did that that.

everyone should try to have at least the ability to pull off most if not all techniques as learning a new one will further inform the other techniques you already have, it also makes you much more versatile

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='1309155' date='Jul 19 2011, 01:59 PM']or 20% depending on which way you look at it (let's not get into the "box of golf balls" argument again though eh lol)[/quote]

Golf bal..oh...
I'm just going to slowly back away and bang my head against something blunt.... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1309103' date='Jul 19 2011, 01:30 PM']About 25% :)[/quote]

:) You would think so, but I would say a fair bit harder unless you've really got your left hand muting sorted.

If you already play with a pick and have no problems you should be fine but I mostly play fingerstyle with a lot of right hand muting, and that pesky B string always wants join in unless I make an effort to hold it down. Might be because my five stringers have graphite necks and are a bit lively, more likely it's because I'm a bit rubbish at slap.

Narrow string spacing can also be a problem on some fives although I was surprised to find that many Mark King aficionados like extra narrow spacing on their headless 4 stringers :lol: