Why become a member? ×

DB Technologies Bass Bins... any good?

warwickhunt

It seemed somehow wrong to put this in Off Topic but if it is deemed in the wrong place by all means move it!

My band is considering getting a powered bin for the PA and the singer has suggested the DB Technologies Bass Bin (450 watts), has anyone any experience of this or other similar powered Bins for a comparable £450?

if you can find one ma man, I would honestly recommend the EV sba 760.

Its an active sub, that is a little pricey new, but it honestly does chew up and spit out other powered subs in its class. We tried it against a Mackie (he he) and the DB and some other subs too.. Peavey or something. Easily the best of the lot.

No, sure it's not a folded horn yahdee yahdee yahdee, but I was seriously impressed. It was actually too much when I paired it with an accugroove TRI210L lol lol

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='150634' date='Mar 3 2008, 08:29 PM']It seemed somehow wrong to put this in Off Topic but if it is deemed in the wrong place by all means move it!

My band is considering getting a powered bin for the PA and the singer has suggested the DB Technologies Bass Bin (450 watts), has anyone any experience of this or other similar powered Bins for a comparable £450?[/quote]

Umming and ahhing about his myself. I've a pair of DB technologies Opera 405 active tops but could do with some subs - preferably active. The SUB15s are quite pricey and I expect you'd want a pair at least.

The soundonsound.com PA forum is quite informative and there seems to be a following of Studiospares "own brand" Fortissimo. They do a 15" active sub for £230 but the actual power output is a moot point - could be 300W RMS, could be 600 - it's not clear. However, those that have used them claim them to be excellent especially considering the price which is suspiciously low. However, they're made by a company called Sound King who badge the for Carlsbro as the Gammas and who sell them at twice the price!

See [url="http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=393069&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=7&o=&fpart=1"]http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat...;o=&fpart=1[/url]

These might not be anything like what you want but maybe worth a look.

Mike

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='152084' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:42 PM']Simple cure: put them together.[/quote]

True :)

However we tend to play pubs and clubs and transport our gear divided between the band members cars, so I think one would suffice... in a small venue I'd not be gaining a huge amount doubling them up would I?

As an aside (Bill or anyone with PA experience)... we have a pair of 15 year old Peavey Hisys IIs (1x15 with tweeter) that we were going to use with the bin (via an active x-over) but we also have the singers nearly new 300 watt EV 1x12's (not sure of the model). Would there be any pro or con using either of these sets of mid/tops with a bin? I basically feel that the transient response of the EVs and there comparative newness will be of greater benefit than a pair of well gigged 15 year old 1x15s, right or wrong? Obviously I'm going to suck it and see but wondered if there was anything I could be doing to get the benefit from one or the other.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='152115' date='Mar 5 2008, 06:48 PM']True :)

we also have the singers nearly new 300 watt EV 1x12's (not sure of the model). Would there be any pro or con using either of these sets of mid/tops with a bin? I basically feel that the transient response of the EVs and there comparative newness will be of greater benefit than a pair of well gigged 15 year old 1x15s, right or wrong?[/quote]15s have poor midrange response and dispersion, as well as being quite large, and offer no advantages when used with a sub. OTOH if those EVs are of the plastic fantastic variety those old Peaveys may still prove better; there's only one way to find out. As for the sub capacity, generally speaking you need at least one sub per top to have adequate output. With high energy DJ mixes a four to one sub to top ratio isn't unusual.

We've had a DB tech active bin for about a year - shamefully I can't recall the model number but it sounds like the same fella from your description.

It was bought to bring in a little subbiness to bigger rooms by being used in addition to our normal PA (turbosound) but it's so good it's practically made the Turbosound bass cabs redundant , and they're bloody good cabs to start with.

If you want a more informed opinion go to the contact link here on our website..
www.drblue.co.uk
put 'FAO Rod' in the subject box.He's our guitarist ,researched and bought the DB and has a lot more knowledge in the PA dept. than I.