Why become a member? ×

Two Options....

nottswarwick

[quote name='andydye' post='1308344' date='Jul 18 2011, 08:05 PM']Having looked at all the options I could, epi, aggi, van derk, genz, barefaced, very, I would have beef if poss and then barefaced over all the rest, I don't yet own any of them but that's where I'm at...[/quote]

What have you tried so far..?

I can tell you that a friend of mine uses VD cabs for their sound and punch plus they are lighter than ceramics...loves them, but the wieght is paramount over all else.
Not a fan of the classic pillowy Epi sound on their 12" range.

Aguilar are good solid cabs but not NEO..unless you are talking newer SL's..which I am not.

If you fancy Berg..get your money out.

oooo...good debate :-)

This whole issue is starting to do my head in, I might just not bother lol.

In my exploits in guitar and drums, I have never had such anguish (lol it's not that bad) over gear as I have as a bassist. Drums - I know what I like, buy it, use it, full stop. Guitar, I know what I like, buy it, use it.

BASS - f**k knows. History - Buy Hartke, sell Hartke, buy Ashdown, Sell Ashdown, buy Markbass, sell Markbass, Buy Markbass and Tecamp, sell Markbas and Tecamp, buy Ashdown...... and here we are today.

Same with basses. sh*t. Help meeeeeeeeeeee!!!

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1308020' date='Jul 18 2011, 04:09 PM']no love for the Genz cab then?[/quote]

I'd go for GB if only cos it should be easier to sell and hold its price. Nobody has heard of BF outside of this forum, hardly, and if you didn't know it's history would be hard pressed to convince anyone it wasn't DIY.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1308428' date='Jul 18 2011, 09:01 PM']I recommended an S12T originally. I'm not 100% convinced a Compact will be perfect but I'm 100% certain it has a better chance of doing the job than all but the Neox-212T, which itself is much more like an S12T with less potent drivers.[/quote]

Plus one!!!
Depends what you want from the cab. There isn't much between a compact and a S12T, if you were to simplify it. The compact is 8 ohms so gives the option of adding another or something else, the S12T is 4 ohms and is a fantastic one cab solution. I prefer the S12T for the tweeter 20khz!!! Super crisp, I feel it has a slightly better vertical Vd, an the mid range is a little more defined/angry/growl whatever you want to say. The compacts mods are little smoother.

Me too lol

Thursday is the day, then gig on Sat. using my ABM500 head for now at least. Alex reckons that it will produce the weight of the sound that the Ashdown 410 does, but that I would need a more powerful amp to do so, and that it will be best to see what sort of tonal footprint the ABM is giving before deciding on a head. I would think "bigger" means shuttle 9 or similar - I believe the Compact can take up to 600w at 8 ohms.....which would be impressive it is does it without strain.

I shall report in detail anyway.

Chris

I too am eagerly waiting to hear what you make of it! I'll probably be pushing the button on a Midget-T very soon to go with a Shuttle 9.0 that I'll also be buying...

Edited by andydye

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1309348' date='Jul 19 2011, 04:50 PM']bloody hell, no pressure then lads haha

:-)[/quote]

Haha indeed!

Although I was already fairly set on a Shuttle 9, I've set up a deal with the Gallery and just need to get down there with my SixPack (from Sheffield on the train!) to do the trade, I'll probably pick up an Epi UL110-2 to tide me over until a Midget-T arrives but I'll try as many other cabs as I can while I'm down there...