Why become a member? ×

How do I Remove screws with head rounded off?

Mod_Machine

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1307905' date='Jul 18 2011, 02:53 PM']Can you push the pups down far enough (maybe even jam them down with some card under the p/g) to get a set of plyers onto the screws?[/quote]

I'd try that first. If that don't work, drill the screw heads off, lift the pickups out then you should be able to get pliers onto what's left of the screws. Might be worth putting tape over the pole pieces so they don't get bits of shrapnel stuck to them.

I do furniture restoration and face this prob often; a [url="http://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-extractor-set/18643"]screw extractor[/url] should sort you out

Drill a pilot hole into the offending screw, and screw in the 'remover', which is reverse threaded to it'll loosen the screw rather than tighten it.

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1307912' date='Jul 18 2011, 02:57 PM']I do furniture restoration and face this prob often; a [url="http://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-extractor-set/18643"]screw extractor[/url] should sort you out

Drill a pilot hole into the offending screw, and screw in the 'remover', which is reverse threaded to it'll loosen the screw rather than tighten it.[/quote]

That's a brilliant little thing!!

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1307912' date='Jul 18 2011, 02:57 PM']I do furniture restoration and face this prob often; a [url="http://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-extractor-set/18643"]screw extractor[/url] should sort you out

Drill a pilot hole into the offending screw, and screw in the 'remover', which is reverse threaded to it'll loosen the screw rather than tighten it.[/quote]
The smallest extractor there is 4mm. That's bigger than the screw head it's self. (let alone trying to drill down one :))

[quote name='bremen' post='1307911' date='Jul 18 2011, 02:57 PM']I'd try that first. If that don't work, drill the screw heads off, lift the pickups out then you should be able to get pliers onto what's left of the screws. [b]Might be worth putting tape over the pole pieces so they don't get bits of shrapnel stuck to them[/b].[/quote]
Nice tip. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1307921' date='Jul 18 2011, 03:05 PM']The smallest extractor there is 4mm. That's bigger than the screw head it's self. (let alone trying to drill down one :))[/quote]

Sorry, didn't check the sizes of the example. My set goes to 1.25 mm. I'm on my phone now but will try to post a more appropriate link later

Ive tried pushing the pickup down but i appear to have tightened it to the point where the pickup is as far down as it would go as the pickup screws we sitting on little ledges rather than flush against void floor (which in hindsight may explain how ive rounded the heads off!)

Im not sure i have a drill piece small enough to go down the screw without cracking the surrounding plastic as its absolutely thin.

No matter as the pickup is only off an 80s cort so ill give it a go and see what happens!

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1307997' date='Jul 18 2011, 03:48 PM']Sorry, didn't check the sizes of the example. My set goes to 1.25 mm. I'm on my phone now but will try to post a more appropriate link later[/quote]
Wow they must be made from uber tough stuff not to snap under torsion at that size. :)

[quote name='apa' post='1308115' date='Jul 18 2011, 05:22 PM']you can use a bigger drill bit than is needed. Just drill slowly (finger and thumb) until it breaks through the shoulder of the head where it meets the shaft and you can lift out the pup.

A[/quote]

Then use mole grips - actually that's exactly what I did (above).

G.

Depending on which method you use, at some stage apply hot soldering iron to screw and get it really warmed up. Take care not to melt pickup if still in place. heat often 'breaks' the binding between screw and wood. Gives the easy out/ pliers/mole grips a better chance.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1308032' date='Jul 18 2011, 04:14 PM']Wow they must be made from uber tough stuff not to snap under torsion at that size. :)[/quote]

It's never snapped, but I've rarely used that tiny one. The tapered tip of the extractor only needs to get a grip on the head, so the shaft size can be bigger than that of screw.