Why become a member? ×

what made you start

stef030

Psychobilly. Bought a double bass but couldn't quite get on with it; so I thought I'd buy a bass guitar and then try to come back to the upright later. I love the bass guitar now though; and haven't yet managed to devote enough time inti progressing with the double bass.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1307130' date='Jul 17 2011, 09:48 PM']I was really sick of playing drums and percussion. Everything was heavy and nobody will help.

So I now play the bass - everything is heavy and nobody will help !!![/quote]

Two years ago I went to an open rehearsal for a salsa band - they liked the way I banged my cowbell and offered me a place as their bassist. Next rehearsal I played the bass for the very first time. *

* Admittedly, I'd played guitar so wasn't entirely unfamiliar with fretted instruments.

Edited by lanark

Started off on guitar (because of Metallica, who I now have very little respect for) and bought a bass before coming to uni as I figured there were probably more bass playing opportunities than guitar ones. Turns out there were, and as an added bonus, playing bass was loads of fun and less pressure than guitar.

I used to play violin in big orchestras, and was always secretly envious of the larger, lower register instruments because of the sheer power they had in creating the atmosphere of the whole performance. Whilst I loved classical music, I was always a rocker at heart, so I eventually gave up violin, requested help buying a bass and amp for my next birthday and joined my first band at school. 14ish years down the line, I'm pleased to say I've never looked back!

Three things really:

1. The video to Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. When it got to the "live" bit, it looked so exciting, that I knew I wanted to be a musician.
2. Pretty Vacant by The Sex Pistols. Once I heard that, I knew what type of music I wanted to play.
3. My guilty secret, what made me choose the bass?
Well I was intrigued by a certain song, and this specific sound within the song, which I later found out to be the bass.
The song - Seasons In The Sun, by Terry Jacks. Some punk/heavy rocker, aren`t I?

It's all Blackfoot's fault.

Saw them a few years ago and the boy Walker's bass was making the whole hillside we were standing on vibrate, and I thunk to meself 'want me some of THAT!!'

Came home 2 days later and bought a bass, couldn't afford an amp so just made a lead to plug it into my stereo ( :) ) and sat in the corner making an unholy racket until I got a tune out of it. Had to take it back round to the bloke I bought it off 3 days later to ask him to tune it for me - didn't even know there was such a thing as a tuner!

I constantly amaze myself that I am capable of doing complicated stuff like walking and breathing at the same time!!!

When I was 12 my Dad decided my three younger brothers and I were going to be a band, and he the manager, obviously. He had decided I was going to play Drums. I wasn't having any of that, I wanted a radio controlled Monster Truck (The Tanyo Lunchbox. And I still want one!). But I gave it some more thought and I knew a few guitarists and drummers at school and I was a huge Motorhead and Iron Maiden fan, so Bass seemed a natural choice for me. My Dad liked my reasoning so that's what I went with. 'Bout the only good thing my Dad ever did for me.

I'd played guitar medium-well for many years, but when I became interested in jazz I wanted to get the guys I play with interested in it too--and they went right for it. But I couldn't do a thing with jazz on the guitar, so I went to the bass and started learning from one of my bandmates who plays three or four instruments; later I started lessons, got the Real Book, some Aebersold materials, etc.

The main attraction for me is harmonizing; and I can still hear the harmony a lot better than I can play it. My ambition is to become a better-than-medium-well bassist.

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1307155' date='Jul 17 2011, 10:16 PM']Cliff Burton[/quote]

^ Yup, me too.

Grew up as a long-haired, greasy teenager listening to Metallica et al during the mid-late '80s.

My friends all bought guitars. So somebody had to play bass... and with Mr Burton being the most interesting member of my favourite band at the time, it was an easy decision to make.

Sure, I've enjoyed many and varied musical influences since then, but that's what it all started for me.

Ah, happy days :)

Edited by Skol303

I've always wanted to be able to play music, but having tried a few other instruments never had the inclination to practise them, so invariably put them back in the loft and forgot about them.

Bass is different - I just find myself picking it up all the time (and got shouted at this weekend for spending too much time with it!).

As much as I hate to admit it, I got my daughter the Beatles RockBand game for her Wii last Xmas, and found myself loving the bass parts (using the Hofner replica, natch). Decided after about three go's that I needed to get an actual bass and start learning. That was about 2 and a bit months ago and I'm hooked.