Why become a member? ×

Tal Wilkenfeld

Pete Academy

Certain posters have accused Tal of having her career boosted by her connection with a certain drummer Take a look at this and make up your mind about her talent.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLEGQ4VO4Uo&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLEGQ4VO4Uo...feature=related[/url]

Edited by Pete Academy

I like her playing, certainly at/above a standard that is worthy of pro-circuit. I don't actively listen to her stuff though. Fair play to her for making a career out of her skills (it's not easy to do these days), long may her career continue to improve!

[quote name='Doddy' post='1307019' date='Jul 17 2011, 08:20 PM']I think she's alright. Her solo album is good,but she doesn't blow me away. I think that there are a lot better
players around.[/quote]

There is always someone better.... But she is very good. That's good enough for me.

Although that J looks enormous on her! How tall is she?

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1307060' date='Jul 17 2011, 08:57 PM']Video confirms that Tal got where she is by using Vinnie. Derivative and bland like everything she does. There are far better players out there, but they don't need to rely on the gimmick of being a woman.[/quote]

Sorry Chris, but that's absolute sexist bollocks. She's obviously a great player. You should be ashamed of your comment.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1307060' date='Jul 17 2011, 08:57 PM']Video confirms that Tal got where she is by using Vinnie. Derivative and bland like everything she does. There are far better players out there, but they don't need to rely on the gimmick of being a woman.[/quote]
Wow, sour grapes for tea? :)

I dunno, I found that as dull and unlistenable as much of the output from a lot more high profile lead-bassists with penises... penii? Nice playing technique but f*** sake what utterly beige music.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1307067' date='Jul 17 2011, 09:01 PM']Sorry Chris, but that's absolute sexist bollocks. She's obviously a great player. You should be ashamed of your comment.[/quote]

We can't all like the same players Pete, and I still contend that she wouldn't attract half as much attention if she was a mediocre male player than a mediocre female player. Sorry if that upsets you Pete, no offence intended.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1307071' date='Jul 17 2011, 09:03 PM']We can't all like the same players Pete, and I still contend that she wouldn't attract half as much attention if she was a mediocre male player than a mediocre female player. Sorry if that upsets you Pete, no offence intended.[/quote]

No offence, mate. :)

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1307036' date='Jul 17 2011, 08:31 PM']Herbie Hancock and Jeff Beck can't be wrong.[/quote]

I think they can. Herbie's band (I think) sounds so much better when he uses Nathan East or Pino or James Genus.

Have to agree with Doddy and Chris2112.

I think she's a solid player, and agree that she'd do a the job with ease on a pro circuit but her playing is just a collection of pastiche phrases and cliches.

Bland, predictable, technical and boring. Great qualities for a functional bassist but not for a solo bassist.

[quote name='YouMa' post='1307095' date='Jul 17 2011, 09:17 PM']I think shes very good but not that good, i think i would be lying if the novelty girl thing wasnt a factor in her fame,i prefer that lydia bird off youtube.[/quote]
Is she the Japanese girl that plays Sadowskys or Laklands :) Anyone want to fire up a clip?

[quote name='jacko' post='1307111' date='Jul 17 2011, 11:34 PM']I'm sure she's very good at what she does but I can't help wondering why players like this didn't just buy a guitar in the first place.[/quote]

She did - Tal was a guitarist to start off with. :)

Some pretty nasty comments on here. For me, it's good enough to see a talented young (and, seemingly, very pleasant) musican make their way in the world. And if she can bring a bit of attention to bass playing (and encourage more female musicans perhaps at the same time), it can only be a good thing.

I hear so much 'back pick up of a Jazz bass' bass players, I often find it difficult to ascertain what is good and what is not. I think that what makes her stand out from the crowd is that she is young woman and she does not wear a hat.

She obviously has a good deal of talent but I think that a lot of the attention she gets (both good and bad) is based on how she looks rather than what she does. Shocking that such a thing could happen in the music industry!

[quote name='thodrik' post='1307156' date='Jul 17 2011, 10:16 PM']She obviously has a good deal of talent but I think that a lot of the attention she gets (both good and bad) is based on how she looks rather than what she does. Shocking that such a thing could happen in the music industry![/quote]

I was going to say something along those lines but you said it much better than I would have. Best of luck to her, she's clearly not a bad player by any stretch even though what she's doing isn't my thing at all.

[quote name='skej21' post='1307089' date='Jul 17 2011, 09:15 PM']Have to agree with Doddy and Chris2112.

Bland, predictable, technical and boring. Great qualities for a functional bassist but not for a solo bassist.[/quote]

Spot on!!