Why become a member? ×

Warm Overdrive Suggestions

matybigfro

I'm looking for a low gain Bass overdrive, with no loss of lows and a really warm round sound

I'm not after bossey attacky highs but a smoth warm sound

Listening to clips and YouTube vids even most Bass overdrive pedals tend to be more guitar attack like rather than overdriving the bass sound like a nice tube amp would.
The nearest to the sort of sound I'm after is this clip of the EBS Multidrive

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of6uVpoPxG0"]EBS Multidrive clip[/url]

The problem with videos is although they give a good indication of the sound of the pedal they don't hightlight specifics. For instance for me one of the most important things is is it possible to keep close to unity volume and not experience Bass loss when kicking in the pedal. My current overdrive pedal the Zeibek Geminidrive is really guilty of this as is my Rat even with Reutz mod and leaves me not wanting to play it, also the Geminidrive is really hard to get a decent blended sound out of without a significant volume boost

So is the EBS what I'm after, are there any alternatives that I should look into
I'm also considering the Way Huge Pork loin as it gets lots of praise for retaining low's and also has blend control and is a bit cheaper and easier to get hold of.

All opinions appreciated

[quote name='topo morto' post='1306707' date='Jul 17 2011, 02:35 PM']If you want a sound like a nice tube amp, why not try a tube amp sim - Tech 21 VT Bass?

A nice budget OD pedal is the Bogdan Polish Love if you can find one - it's not all that different to the EBS, a bit warmer IMO.[/quote]

Hows the Polish Love for Low end retention,
Where do I look for them

I spent ages on this very quest.
I found that in my situation the ebs didn't really tick the box for me, I can't really define what it was ( helpful huh!), so I tried the pork loin, but I found that whilst playing on my own it sounded great, but wasn't quite the ticket when playing at volume with the rest of the band.
In the end I settled with the hardwire tube od for my low gain grittyness, and I'm currently trying the markbass bass tube marker for higher gain stuff
Hth

From what I've found about the polish love it seems and sounds to be very high gain

I'm really looking for low gain sounds, I've just pulled the trigger on a fender sub-lime for fuzzier more distorted sounds, i'm really lookin for the warmth from my OD

I'd like to hear more about the problems you've had with the EBS and Pork Loin Dudewheresmybass, also when people talk about grittiness I'm not sure what I'm after more smooth warmth so I'm not sure if the hardwire would be for me?

The SFT sounds promising but hard to come by and probably very expensive?

If you want low gain, what about the wren and cuff Phat Phuk? low gain warmth is what it does...

To answer your questions about the Polish Love - it's good at bass retention compared to most drive pedals. The range is adjustable from 'quite low gain' to 'full on'. It's something that comes up in the classififeds now and again, or a wanted ad might throw one up. Actually there might be one here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=137080&hl=bogdan"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...0&hl=bogdan[/url]

I personally preferred it to the SFT as it's less muddy sounding.

Not sure what your budget is, but I use a moog Bass Murf for overdriven sounds.
At £2-300 it's not cheap & I'm not sure if it defo IS the sound you're after, but you can use it for all sorts of things.
Mine gets used for OD, phaser, EQ & sometimes I use it for what it was originally created for, rhythmic sequences.

Here's a wee sample from my review...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=18316"]Bass MuRF Fuzz[/url]

& here's the review I did if you're interested...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36164"]Moog MF-101 & MF-105b review.[/url]

Edited for typo & broken link.

Edited by xgsjx

There's also a Blueberry just gone up in the classifieds: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=146169"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=146169[/url]

If you buy used you can always flip it if you don't like it and not lose out.

[quote name='topo morto' post='1306841' date='Jul 17 2011, 05:29 PM']If you want low gain, what about the wren and cuff Phat Phuk? low gain warmth is what it does...[/quote]

It's pretty clean when stock, tweaking the trimpots can yield overdrive but it can be quite brittle sounding. Great for pushing a tube amp into overdrive though!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='1306886' date='Jul 17 2011, 06:18 PM']It's pretty clean when stock, tweaking the trimpots can yield overdrive but it can be quite brittle sounding. Great for pushing a tube amp into overdrive though![/quote]

The thing I like about it is that through most of it's range it's not overtly 'distorted' but just warm and thick. At the top end of the drive range it can be brittle (haven't tried messing with the trimpots) but I find I quite like this when i need to cut through the band for a moment, even if it's a bit nasty when noodling!

I'm interested in the polish love at low gain will it still retain lows
will it get into the sort of sound that i posted above without a tone control to control the highs
If so I might might have to dive on it in the forum

My concern with the Phat Phuk is that i use a solid state D class amp and I don't want to boost the signal too much just slightly warm it up

Although the SFT, Mad professor, EBS and sound great i'm most likely gonna have to wait for a 2nd hand one to come up in my price arrange.

The Way Huge is available new for similar price and obviously the polish love is much cheaper

[quote name='matybigfro' post='1307166' date='Jul 17 2011, 10:23 PM']will it get into the sort of sound that i posted above without a tone control to control the highs[/quote]

To be honest, probably not - it's always got a bit more HF going on, and more so as you increase the gain.

[quote name='matybigfro' post='1306813' date='Jul 17 2011, 05:03 PM']I'd like to hear more about the problems you've had with the EBS and Pork Loin Dudewheresmybass, also when people talk about grittiness I'm not sure what I'm after more smooth warmth so I'm not sure if the hardwire would be for me?[/quote]

The ebs and way huge seemed to always get lost in the mix no matter what settings I used. I couldn't get the 'point ' to push through a big EMG/Marshall dominated mix.
Coupled with this, i use a sound that is very bass heavy ( no hifi clarity here ta!), and through my stage rig, it seemed to make the sound lose the thump it had without the pedal.
I'm not accusing these pedals of bass loss, that is most definitely not the case here, but simply that they didn't work for me 'in situ'

The other thing to mention at this point is that i play in differing situations, some using a full 8x10 rig, and others using DI only.
Where the ebs/ way huge didn't work for me with the amp rig, they sound great going di only.

As far as the hardwire goes it has a two band eq, so i really would suggest at least trying one (assuming you have a local shop/ dealer), and playing with those two knobs.
I picked mine up s/h for £40 on ebay - if it sounds good for you it could be a bargain!

again, HTH

EDIT: i meant to say that when i say grittiness, i mean the sound of just slightly pushed valves and he edginess (Word?) that brings

Edited by dudewheresmybass

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Cairobill' post='1308833' date='Jul 19 2011, 09:42 AM']I use a tubeworks blue tube pedal. Very warm real tube overdrive. There's a rack version out there as well. N[/quote]
I've got the rack version of these, and it does the tones the OP is describing to a T. I've not tried the pedal version but I know it's missing what I consider the killer feature of the rack one - the bias control. This changes the actual character of the distortion, rather than just the amount or tone of it. It's such a useful feature I'm surprised other manufacturers haven't tried the same thing, though I did ask Dave Hall about it a while back and he said that it was difficult to successfully implement.

A real shame that the pedal doesn't have the bias control, as racks are such a pain in the ar*e to cart about!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1307169' date='Jul 17 2011, 10:26 PM']I'd look at the Tech 21 offerings, they go from a very nice mild warm tubey overdrive, all the way up to dirty angry distortion![/quote]

+1

I have a Tech 21 BDDI [url="http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/bassdriverdi.html"]http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/bassdriverdi.html[/url]

The basic tone quality is on a par with my SVT all tube preamp (which is regarded as the reference rock bass tone). Id defy anyone to tell it apart from real valves in a blind test.